Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of adding just a bit deeper sound to my truck at idle and during acceration, while attempting to gain a slight amount of horsepower & torque for under $300 bucks, what I DON'T want is to experience drone at highway cruise or when towing at 2K - 2.4K. I also really don't want to LOOSE any low end like a few have reported when they did exhaust work. My current plan is to install a Spintech Sportsman XL or XL Plus, with dual 2.5" intakes and a single 3" out, use the rest of the standard exhaust, keep the resonator (for now), add a 3 or 3.5" stainless tip and also drop in a TRD or K & N panel Air Filter.

Opinions? Remember I am petty happy with the power the 4.6 has and don't want alot of change, or much more noise, I simply want to take a conservative route and add a bit more fun without breaking the bank. My biggest concern is loss of torque due to the less restrictive system.

Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I talked to several mechanics/ techs concerning adding power/torque to the tundra and they pretty much said that anything you put into it is a waste of cash atm because you cant tune the truck to take advantage of any upgrades. The only viable otion atm is the Toyota issued SC package.. and it only works because they can tune the ecu to it. I'm no expert.. but thats what several experts told me so I'm waiting for somebody to crack the code. If they dont by year 3 with this truck then it will be time to go with another more mod freindly brand

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I kind of think you may be right on this. I wasn't really expecting much in the way of a gain, what I really want is a bit deeper exhaust note without drone at all during load situations (if Chevy can tune the 5.3 or 6.0 to sound awesome out of the box, why can't toyota?). I have looked into this a bit more and it looks like most of what I want to do in terms of muffler replacement would be a gamble when it comes to drone. The only system I have found so far that might be tuned correctly is the corsa, problem is I don't really want to spend that kind of money just for a bit of sound change without much gain. Probably just stay with stock for now....which is actually pretty sweet anyway in its own way.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Just get you a dual in dual out magnaflow and just true dual them out. Good sound and decent approximate 7-10hp.

and Sign, For the right amount of money You can tune anything. Just have to buy some products and dyno time.

·
Registered
916 Posts
have you searched for powersticks? A lot of poeple have them, they are inexpensive and have no drone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did search for them, interesting design. Two powersticks, eh? One would think the longer ones would be best for our trucks....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I did search for them, interesting design. Two powersticks, eh? One would think the longer ones would be best for our trucks....
I have done extensive testing of exhaust systems. There would be absolutely no gain going true dual on a 4.7L unless you get long tube headers. I just built a muffler and y pipe on a 09 4.7L. I didn't have much time with the truck but was able to keep the drone at 2000-2100 rpm. You will probably have it pretty bad towing. I have built a couple true duals on 5.7L's and have had success with more power according to the butt dyno, but there is still a little drone. I am experimenting with helmholtz resonators and will post up when I either confirm or deny success.

No matter what you do, keep in mind you don't want to change stock tubing anywhere in your system unless you go with long tube headers. The change in diameter will only cause a loss of scavenging and power will be lost as a result. Here is a great write up on different muffler types. Here is another thread that I started at the beginning of the year when I decided to make my own mufflers. I'm not trying to sell you a muffler, just trying to help. I think that no matter what you do you'll get drone, Toyota V8's have this high pitch that is hard to tune out.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Just get you a dual in dual out magnaflow and just true dual them out. Good sound and decent approximate 7-10hp.

and Sign, For the right amount of money You can tune anything. Just have to buy some products and dyno time.
I have always heard that magnaflow drones thus it's nickname Magnadrone...

have you searched for powersticks? A lot of poeple have them, they are inexpensive and have no drone.
Powersticks are loud aren't they??
I have done extensive testing of exhaust systems. There would be absolutely no gain going true dual on a 4.7L unless you get long tube headers. I just built a muffler and y pipe on a 09 4.7L. I didn't have much time with the truck but was able to keep the drone at 2000-2100 rpm. You will probably have it pretty bad towing. I have built a couple true duals on 5.7L's and have had success with more power according to the butt dyno, but there is still a little drone. I am experimenting with helmholtz resonators and will post up when I either confirm or deny success.

No matter what you do, keep in mind you don't want to change stock tubing anywhere in your system unless you go with long tube headers. The change in diameter will only cause a loss of scavenging and power will be lost as a result. Here is a great write up on different muffler types. Here is another thread that I started at the beginning of the year when I decided to make my own mufflers. I'm not trying to sell you a muffler, just trying to help. I think that no matter what you do you'll get drone, Toyota V8's have this high pitch that is hard to tune out.
I'm not sure if it would make any difference but this guy has the new 4.6l not the old 4.7l

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
It does, I made my recomendations based on that. I've tried true dual on a 5.7 and that's barely justifiable. Without headers the sudden pressure drop really messes up scavenging.
I've read your long thread over in the exhaust section, good reading. I will link it for others because most people will never enter that forum If I get exhaust it will purely be for sound and not for performance.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...7499-how-properly-built-exhaust-system-works/

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
so I just wanted to share some new findings and maybe help out somebody. HELMHOLTZ RESONATORS work to kill drone!

I built true dual on a 5.7L a couple months ago. My buddy who I built it for complained about drone, I didn't think it was drone, I thought it was just the sound of the exhaust.

We installed 2 Helmholtz resonators in each bank of the exhaust. The exhaust tone was still there, but the high pitch resonance was gone! Didn't seem to change the db level a bit, but your head didn't rattle anymore:third:

anyone with any questions should feel free to post up, this really works

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
After all the reading on all the different threads, I've personally narrowed it down to the following two options. If I'm going to change the exhaust at all, I'll either add a Flowmaster 70-series dual-in/single-out (using the stock pipes)... OR a Y-pipe (2.25 into 3") into an Aero Turbine 3030XL, then back out to the stock 3" pipes. Based on what I've heard/read, the Flowmaster 70 will give you the low sound you want, and the Aero 3030XL gives you a good sound, and doesn't lose any power (some people report gains, although that seems dubious).

I'm planning to try 1 or the other within the next few months. Come spring, I plan on treating myself to some Long-Tube headers and a custom Unichip tune, so I may change the exhaust after that...

Any thoughts, rebuttals, comments...?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts