Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking for a used Sequoia between 50-100k miles. I am wondering what the top list of repairs are going to be, both routine and unexpected. I know the closer I get to 100k, i'll have a timing belt, but other than that, here is what I have seen from reading this forum and others:
1.) AC unit occasional issues. (possibly major)
2.) Latch/strap issues on rear gate/door (minor).

I am trying to determine whether I go for a newer Sequoia, or an older and possibly need to do the maintenance soon after I buy it. This will be a third vehicle and even if I get one with 80k, it may be several years before the Timing belt maintenance will need to be done.
My current vehicles (both bought new in '04):
2004 Sienna LE - 18,950 miles
2004 Corolla CE - 26,000 miles

My wife is leaning toward a Sequoia, while I am leaning toward a Landcruiser (fj80)/LX450. Better for the offroad.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Most of the early production Sequoia issues were resolved by the 2003 model year. But that said... if I was doing it over again, I would seriously consider the Lexus LX470. Its a little smaller (less room behind the 2nd row seat) but more refined and a much smoother/comfortable ride.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do it. I purchased an 01 Sequoia last year, not enough miles to really evaluate it myself. It had 92k when I bought it, 98k now, pretty much runs like a top. I broke the rear tailgate hatch handle with my shrek hands this winter, but that was my bad for gorilla grabbing the thing and trying to force a frozen handle a bit too much. Still quiet and rides smooth. I am all kinds of sold on these babies and would get another in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My Sequoia has 90,000 miles now and has had the usual dumb issues the 01's frequently encounter - VSC ECU, airbag sensor, and now a manifold leak/oxygen sensor. Other than a leaky exhaust, nothing mechanical though - I've towed, off roaded, been through alot of snow, driven it fairly hard, and not a single mechanical problem, not even a single rattle. Runs smoothly as ever and is fairly quick considering its V8. I've had no problems with any latches. I've heard those year Land Cruisers, despite having a V6, can get even worse MPG though, and is somewhat strained. I've averaged 16 mpg or so in city driving and around 18 on the highway and can usually get about 460 miles a tank on mostly highway driving.

The Sequoia, in my experience anyways, is very capable off road considering it is a full size SUV, but the Land Cruiser is a step up. ATRAC does its job well, though i've never gone through any crazy mud. I'd take the LX470 over the LX450 for hp and tq alone. The 4.7 liter becomes a little strained on 2-lane-road-passing once i've loaded 8 adults and cargo (1600) lbs in the car, which is around its payload capacity at least, so if you plan on carrying alot of people and cargo, I would not suggest the 4.5 liter motors in the LC/LX. I've heard the LC's ride is more comfortable as well, and it probably is. Off road, the Sequoia takes bumps very well, but i've never ridden in a LC off road.

Sequoia's 3rd row seats are more versatile than the LC's. They slide and recline, and indeed, have more room in front and behind them. Not sure if the LC's recline but I know they strap up against the walls, which would irritate me if i needed cargo space. With the 3rd row seats out and the second row seats folded up (they have straps to prevent them from falling), the Sequoia has a HUGE amount of cargo room. Sequoia also has alot of nifty storage bins - the rear left side has a large, deep compartment that can fit a battery charger and gear. Not sure if the LC has this, but I love it.

Whatever the case, both are plush (Seq limited anyways), smooth, reliable, capable SUVs. I'd think the Sequoia is a better value for the money, especially in SR5 trim, but the LC is, depending on year, probably the more luxurious one, though the Sequoia LTD is luxurious enough for me. If you want the cargo space, 3rd row passenger comfort (probably rarely needed), and interior versatility, go with the Sequoia. Otherwise, I would probably choose a V8 LC, not the 450, unless you have a good deal on one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It depends on your needs. I think the key FIRST question to ask is how many people and how much stuff you'll be carrying.

If you regularly carry more than 4 people, and any stuff, the Sequoia will probably work better.

Otherwise it's a toss-up. 'cruisers are even MORE overbuilt than sequoias, but they get worse mileage and tend to feed into off-road and parts addictions. :)

Sequoia are smoother highway cruisers, have more room, and tend to attract less $.

-Greg C

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, thanks to posts here, and other threads, I was able to convince my wife to go with a Landcruiser. Thanks for all the replies, I can't wait until I pick it up Saturday.

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts