Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mind the JBL/Nav system in my 10 CM Platinum, I actually really like the HU, but the bass is a bit anemic.

I'm considering 2 JL 10w3's w/ an XD600/1 for power. I'd pull the entire plastic trim piece from the back wall and have the back part of the new box glassed to shape, with MDF sides and face. Covering would either be vinyl or textured "plastic" paint to match trim as closely as possible.

Not planning on losing any seat travel, but I could live with 1 or 2 clicks.

I'll have it set up to accept a second amp (400/4) if I get the jones to replace all the component speakers. I'll definitely be keeping the stock nav, though. First time I've ever not replaced one when I started upgrading speakers.

I know I'll get lots of opinions on other subs, shallow mount, etc. but I've heard this setup and its what I like, tight and low. I'm just trying to talk myself into it, I haven't even made my first payment, yet!:p

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have one shallow 10 in a custom enclosure transferred from an older truck. We were in a hurry so we didn't cut into the rear plastic, just ran screws through it and secured the box to that. The whole setup does not minimize space usage nearly as much as it could. I might loose 3 max clicks and it still looks like a football field between the rear seatbottom and front seat back. Really this isn't like most other normal crewcab trucks, you could give up quite a bit of travel and people can still stretch out and cross their legs in the back seat.

One day I plan to get around to pulling the rear plastic, soundproofing the whole rear cab wall, then possibly cutting an outline into the plastic so the sub box can sit snug against the rear wall. Then it'll be secured either to the rear wall or floor.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
your gonna need some space...and more power to push those subs.
The box will be the full height of the back wall, plastic will be gone (all the way across the cab). the subs require .65 cu. ft. and 500w. The amp is 400wrms at 4 ohms or 600w at 2. I'll be running 2 ohms, so even if I'm not giving it 14.4v, I should get at least 500w out of it.

Also, considering what I'm coming from, I suspect I'll be thrilled.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
yea but 500w divided by 2 because you will be running 2 w3's right if so youll need about 400w each sub min 350 to run them nice.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant 500 between the 2. 250-300 is the "optimum range" according to the chart on JL's site for the 10w3's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts