Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
He'll be happy so long as he didn't need the extra payload or towing. That's what convinced my father to buy a new 07 Dodge Megacab. He LOVED the crew max but it just wasn't enough truck :(

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
He'll be happy so long as he didn't need the extra payload or towing. That's what convinced my father to buy a new 07 Dodge Megacab. He LOVED the crew max but it just wasn't enough truck :(
How does your dad like his Megacab? I love ours! That 6.7L Cummins is a beast! ;)

·
Banned
7 Posts
Our family drives a 07 F-250 supercrew with the Powerstroke. Great truck, not a problem to speak of. For what we use our truck for "mostly contruction work" a half ton truck cant do the work.

Your freind probably needed the F-250 for real heavy duty work, and if he needed the truck for that reason, the Tundra may be able to do some things, but nothing like the 250 can do in terms of hauling and towing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i traded in a powerstroke for my current 06 tundra. huge mistake! although i really like the smooth ride.

Can you elaborate why it was a mistake? Does your line of work require a diesel? You did say 06, do you think the 07 would be better for you?

Zack

·
Registered
479 Posts
The simple fact is that while many work trucks do have diesels,I know of several 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks with diesels that are not used for any type of towing or heavy hauling.The owners only bought them because they wanted to own a diesel.Then there is another group of diesel buyers that have a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel so they can tow a travel trailer for a couple of weeks each year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our family drives a 07 F-250 supercrew with the Powerstroke. Great truck, not a problem to speak of. For what we use our truck for "mostly contruction work" a half ton truck cant do the work.

Your freind probably needed the F-250 for real heavy duty work, and if he needed the truck for that reason, the Tundra may be able to do some things, but nothing like the 250 can do in terms of hauling and towing.
Especially the new 08' Fords. They are beastly trucks. Very nicely put together all around too. Really nice interiors. Lots of power. Great working truck.

I love my Tundra, but it can't do everything required for a lot of guys who use their trucks for work.

24,000lbs vs 10,000.... yeah.

:tu:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
How does your dad like his Megacab? I love ours! That 6.7L Cummins is a beast! ;)
He actually got one of the last 5.9L's they had. They could have ordered a 6.7L for him but we seem to have NONE in our area and apparently the east coast so it would have been a long time...and the Ford was about to lose it's warranty :rolleyes: I figured they 5.9 was fine to get because its been around for ever and you just can't go wrong. It's just a solid motor so this truck should last forever. Plus it doesn't have all of that emissions crap like your 6.7L ;)

I think he really likes it so far. I've been at school and have only seen it once but it is huuuuuuuuge!!!!! That back seat...wow. It's going to make for some great road trips.

I already have a few mods in mind :devil:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
He actually got one of the last 5.9L's they had. They could have ordered a 6.7L for him but we seem to have NONE in our area and apparently the east coast so it would have been a long time...and the Ford was about to lose it's warranty :rolleyes: I figured they 5.9 was fine to get because its been around for ever and you just can't go wrong. It's just a solid motor so this truck should last forever. Plus it doesn't have all of that emissions crap like your 6.7L ;)

I think he really likes it so far. I've been at school and have only seen it once but it is huuuuuuuuge!!!!! That back seat...wow. It's going to make for some great road trips.

I already have a few mods in mind :devil:
Yeah it is a bada$$ truck. We have the 5.9l cummins as well and that thing a beast as well. Their both great engines but you can't believe the difference in the sound level between the two..the 6.7 is so quiet compared to the 5.7

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yeah it is a bada$$ truck. We have the 5.9l cummins as well and that thing a beast as well. Their both great engines but you can't believe the difference in the sound level between the two..the 6.7 is so quiet compared to the 5.7
Yeah I bet it is really quite. I was actually surprised how quiet the 5.9 is compared the 6.0 Ford :eek:

I like loud, so it's a bit quiet for me. But, considering how well built that engine is I can deal :p

Now the trans is a different story. We'll see how that thing holds out. It should be fine considering its the 48RE and he does mostly highway driving and he's not going to put a programmer on it.

My father and I both prefered the interior of the Ford, but the Cummins can't be beat. That is what sold him...even over the Toyota :( He just needs that payload and the extra space for people. The Toyota had the "people space", but it just didn't have enough payload and towing.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Yeah I bet it is really quite. I was actually surprised how quiet the 5.9 is compared the 6.0 Ford :eek:

I like loud, so it's a bit quiet for me. But, considering how well built that engine is I can deal :p

Now the trans is a different story. We'll see how that thing holds out. It should be fine considering its the 48RE and he does mostly highway driving and he's not going to put a programmer on it.

My father and I both prefered the interior of the Ford, but the Cummins can't be beat. That is what sold him...even over the Toyota :( He just needs that payload and the extra space for people. The Toyota had the "people space", but it just didn't have enough payload and towing.
Did he get the slt or the Laramie? Their is a huge difference in the two. The laramie is so much nicer then the SLT..We have both and the SLT interior is just blah and not the nicest

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Did he get the slt or the Laramie? Their is a huge difference in the two. The laramie is so much nicer then the SLT..We have both and the SLT interior is just blah and not the nicest
Yeah it's the SLT I think. Just bare bones. I work for enterprise and always drive a lot of the new Dakota's.....THEY SUCK!....in my opinion. Same size motor as the Tundra but with no ba!!s what-so-ever, handled like crap and I hated the interior and feel of the seats. So coming into this I already dislike the interior.

The main thing I dislike about the interior is the cup holders. They simply weren't very deep. The deciding factor is all of this was the motor. Without that cummins...no chance. I can't wait to remove the silencer ring, take the air intake baffle out and put one of these on. It eliminates the entire stock intake box but still filters great because it's a "generic" paper filter. Guys with it says the turbo starts to spool faster in the lower rpms. MUCH more air :tu:

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
Especially the new 08' Fords. They are beastly trucks. Very nicely put together all around too. Really nice interiors. Lots of power. Great working truck.

I love my Tundra, but it can't do everything required for a lot of guys who use their trucks for work.

24,000lbs vs 10,000.... yeah.

:tu:
Yeah, but the Cummins makes 650lb tq at only 1,500 rpms versus the new 08 Ford taking 2,000rpms to produce the same 650 tq. :D

Though the Ford is very nice I do not like the "wedge" like interior and exterior. Reminds me of the cars from the mid 80's. I did like the twin turbo set up even though there is more moving parts so mixed feelings there and the fuel cooler was a great idea but again more moving parts to fail.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I can't wait to remove the silencer ring, take the air intake baffle out and put one of these on. It eliminates the entire stock intake box but still filters great because it's a "generic" paper filter. Guys with it says the turbo starts to spool faster in the lower rpms. MUCH more air :tu:
Ah Yes,
The BHAF,
You been hanging out on the TDR??
If I had bucks I'd buy a Cummins to drive.
But I'll keep a Tundra for realiability and my meager truck needs.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Ah Yes,
The BHAF,
You been hanging out on the TDR??
If I had bucks I'd buy a Cummins to drive.
But I'll keep a Tundra for realiability and my meager truck needs.
Yeah i'm over on dodgeforum.com since my dad recently bought a 07 Megacab with the 5.9. Just been doing my homework :D

My Tundra suits my needs perfectly, but the old man needed something huge. The Crewmax was nice but just didn't have the bed, height for hunting trials, and well....it wasn't a diesel :devil:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts