Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been trying to figure out this odd coolant leak, there is coolant all in the valley of the engine, under the intake manifold.
I had just changed the radiator/thermostat/radiator cap and now it’s leaking like there’s no tomorrow
The coolant is seemingly flowing through the weep slit in the valley and flowing down front of the transmission.
Any ideas on where to check for leaks while pressure testing? What could potentially leak coolant under the intake?
Thanks for the read
4.7 2000 4x4
*not my picture but identical location of the dripping

Attachments

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I saw this exact same problem on here but damned if I can find the thread right now. I do know there is a hose under the intake manifold that runs coolant and that is where the leak was. Same dripping location as yours. I think the guy removed the intake and it was something simple like an O ring but I just cant find the thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:
Top radiator hose was worn, was made more difficult to notice since leak was coming from under side of hose.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Glad you found it. And that you were good enough to come back and say what it was.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
So I’ve been trying to figure out this odd coolant leak, there is coolant all in the valley of the engine, under the intake manifold.
I had just changed the radiator/thermostat/radiator cap and now it’s leaking like there’s no tomorrow
The coolant is seemingly flowing through the weep slit in the valley and flowing down front of the transmission.
Any ideas on where to check for leaks while pressure testing? What could potentially leak coolant under the intake?
Thanks for the read
4.7 2000 4x4
*not my picture but identical location of the dripping
I saw this exact same problem on here but damned if I can find the thread right now. I do know there is a hose under the intake manifold that runs coolant and that is where the leak was. Same dripping location as yours. I think the guy removed the intake and it was something simple like an O ring but I just cant find the thread.
Hello: Member "Elpeyote" posted a couple weeks ago about a coolant leak on his 2001 Tundra. Eventually discovered it was his water inlet/thermostat housing. Recently I discovered a coolant leak on my 2002 Tundra with 74,900 miles. The coolant was pooling up in my driveway and was immediately obvious. Off to the Toyota dealer who found it was a worn out "O Ring" in the thermostat housing. Took 2 hours and $385.00 + Tax parts & labor. Frankly, I was gratified to discover the leak. If I'd been on a hours-long journey, the pressurized coolant system would have forced ALL the coolant out, quickly overheated and likely have destroyed my engine. Probably a circa $6K replacement job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello: Member "Elpeyote" posted a couple weeks ago about a coolant leak on his 2001 Tundra. Eventually discovered it was his water inlet/thermostat housing. Recently I discovered a coolant leak on my 2002 Tundra with 74,900 miles. The coolant was pooling up in my driveway and was immediately obvious. Off to the Toyota dealer who found it was a worn out "O Ring" in the thermostat housing. Took 2 hours and $385.00 + Tax parts & labor. Frankly, I was gratified to discover the leak. If I'd been on a hours-long journey, the pressurized coolant system would have forced ALL the coolant out, quickly overheated and likely have destroyed my engine. Probably a circa $6K replacement job.
I’m glad you found your leak, I was worried I had the similar o ring leak that requires removal of the intake manifold. Fortunately a pressure test revealed the leak was originating from the bottom of the upper radiator hose and working it’s way down the connecting coolant pipe into the valley of the engine, ultimately causing the coolant to drain down the bell housing. A new Napa hose and clamps seems to have resolved this issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just fixed the same problem; it was an o-ring, but this one was on the heater by-pass tube running into the back of the water pump.

ALWAYS replace it when doing a timing belt job.

My alternative was to remove the intake and I replaced all of the injector seals while you are at it. I also replaced both knock sensors.

Several hours to replace a $3.00 ring.

And now, a month later, my starter is going bad. Always something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts