Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a new OEM exhaust system from my local Toyota dealer. Cats and everything behind. All new hardware, hangers etc.
I dropped the truck off at a local Muffler Shop and asked the guy to complete the install. picked it up later that day and was told the cost would be $600.00 Which was about twice as much as I was expecting. I know the old system was rusted to bits and that there would be a possibility that he would need to drill out some the studs on the connection to the manifold but I was shocked with his cost.
He told me that it was a bear of a job to do. He fought with it all of the way And it took him 8 hours???????
He also said that he had to drill out three of the studs and retap.
Does anyone feel like this is in line?
Again, all OEM parts. How long should this take?
Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well.... first of all, you should have asked for an estimate, and shopped around. I have had full stainless systems with dual exhaust installed on my past Tundras (3 different ones, all access cabs)... Cats back with single muffler and dual outlet... each was about 700.00 with polished slash cut tips... just as a comparison....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
I did ask for an estimate and was told that it would be based on time required And whether or not he would need to drill and tap. Even if he did need to drill and t=tap three studs, I feel 8 hours and $600.00 seems excessive. I wonder if I could crawl under there and visually verify that he installed new studs?

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,283 Posts
Live & Learn

Always ask for a written quote, not an open ended estimate.

Why didn't you have the dealer install the parts?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Like H2O said, live and learn. It sucks you're out more cash than you needed to be but you cant get it back now so all you can do is remember this for next time and chalk it up to a learning experience. Sometimes its the mistakes we make we learn the most from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts