Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a new OEM exhaust system from my local Toyota dealer. Cats and everything behind. All new hardware, hangers etc.
I dropped the truck off at a local Muffler Shop and asked the guy to complete the install. picked it up later that day and was told the cost would be $600.00 Which was about twice as much as I was expecting. I know the old system was rusted to bits and that there would be a possibility that he would need to drill out some the studs on the connection to the manifold but I was shocked with his cost.
He told me that it was a bear of a job to do. He fought with it all of the way And it took him 8 hours???????
He also said that he had to drill out three of the studs and retap.
Does anyone feel like this is in line?
Again, all OEM parts. How long should this take?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Sorry about the cost of your bill but you're saying you dropped off your truck and didnt get an estimate in the first place?
That being said what does this shop post as their hourly rate? Most places have it posted as soon as you walk in the door and it does seem odd they would need to spend 8 hours on it. Yes, getting started would be a pain but once the new is connected to the old at the manifold, the rest should have been a breeze to install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a bad feeling when I dropped it off. I asked him for an estimate and was told it will be based on how hart it will be to install. He said tundras are especially hard and that it could get expensive if he has to drill and tap.
I asked to stick around and was told that I couldn’t. I should have followed my intuition and taken the truck.
I wonder if I can crawl under there to see If I can visually verify that he did in fact need to drill and install new studs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s a one man shop and he is almost never busy. I’m new to this area and didn’t know where to go. I wanted to keep the money local and support a little guy.
I will say that I absolutely love how quiet it is and I feel like it got some low end toque back.
This was extremely costly. Parts and labor = 1/4 of the value of the truck, but I love this truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts