Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My mum is thinking of trading in her '05 Camry for either a Honda Civic Hybrid, or a Toyota Highlander Hybrid..im trying to push her towards the Highlander, as I think Toyota's service center her in Gastonia, NC is much better than the Honda one, but she just wont go for it..She does know the '05 Camry does get some good gas milage, but shes wanted an SUV as long as she could get some good milage like that of her Camry..

Any input as to what y'all think would be awesome :)

- Tyler

·
Lifer - Moving Forward --->
498 Posts
TyleR said:
Hi,

My mum is thinking of trading in her '05 Camry for either a Honda Civic Hybrid, or a Toyota Highlander Hybrid..im trying to push her towards the Highlander, as I think Toyota's service center her in Gastonia, NC is much better than the Honda one, but she just wont go for it..She does know the '05 Camry does get some good gas milage, but shes wanted an SUV as long as she could get some good milage like that of her Camry..

- Tyler
I just pick up my 06 Highlander Hybrid a few days ago and love it!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't have one, but if you look at the price for the model (it's very well equipped even before the cost of the hybrid) and look at the EPA mileage which is identical to the V6, (19/25), you won't be able to justify the expense on savings. I get 25-26 on trips with our V6, 22-23 local. The hybrid supposedly does have very good performance, however. It probably gives you more opportunity to save in city conditions if you drive to absolutely maximize the economy and use the electric component. My dealer gets one a month, usually spoken for, so there is little need to discount them, but the gas models are discounted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bob259 said:
I just pick up my 06 Highlander Hybrid a few days ago and love it!!!
What kinda mpg are you getting?

And my mum usually just does city driving, Jim..thanks :)

·
498 Posts
TyleR said:
What kinda mpg are you getting?

And my mum usually just does city driving, Jim..thanks :)
I haven't filled up yet :D, but the computer is showing an average right now of around 26.3 mpg with mostly city/rural driving. It flucuates by the fun factor (V8 Power with a V6). If it's like everyone elses, and my wifes Prius, it will keep getting better as it breaks in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bob259 said:
I haven't filled up yet :D, but the computer is showing an average right now of around 26.3 mpg with mostly city/rural driving. It flucuates by the fun factor (V8 Power with a V6). If it's like everyone elses, and my wifes Prius, it will keep getting better as it breaks in.

woo

Thats some good news..because from driving her car sometimes i see it gets about 25mpg in city, and about 32mpg on highways..which really aint bad..but since she just found out shes losing her job in a few weeks, she'd like to get a car thats a little better economically.

Thanks! :tu:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
:) Well I'm new to this. I have a highlander hybrid front wheel drive with auto trans and 268 hp v6 engine. It does 0 to 60 in 7.0 seconds and is getting 28mpg on hwy. I have 8000 miles on it and we love it.:tu:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got an '06 HiHy - FWD/Limited/Nav and get 27-28 miles but most of my driving is freeway. The couple of times I did purely city driving I got closer to 30. But then summer is here, I heard the mileage drops in winter. Hope that helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my base HiHY for a little over a month and 1000 miles. Average FE to date is 29.7. This is mostly around town driving with very little highway. Note that I have had to adopt different driving tchniques to achieve the mileage I get. I drive with a very light foot and take every opportunity to drive on battery vs ICE. I do not drive exclusively for FE, however. I accelerate keeping in mind the surrounding traffic, I use AC whenever I feel it is hot outside, and I keep up with traffic.

So far I love it. It is comfortable, efficient, and quiet. If I were to make the decision again, I would buy the HH. When you consider the size and flexibility of the vehicle, it is an outstanding success. I get 50% better around town mileage than the car it replaces (2002 SAAB convertible) with the added bonus I can go to Home Depot and bring home a load of stuff.

Hope this helps.

John

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Hi, Hope this is not too late. I just signed on to the Forum as a new member yesterday.

I own a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid and a 2006 Highlander Hybrid. I love them both. The Honda will get over 40 miles per gallon and the Highlander gets around 30. You should decide based on how you are going to use the vehicle.

Jack

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure how it's working in the states, but up here, we get a $2000CAD cash rebate from the Federal govt for getting a hybrid vehicle. I suppose that helps offset the premium

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have had the front wheel drive Highlander for about 4 months and about 6000 miles. We get 27-28 MPG doing 90% interstate miles at 70mph. We traded in a 2 year old AWD Highlander, exact same style except for the drive train. I love the Hybrid more, more fun to drive.

I just bought a Camry Hybrid, also a nice car, not as good acceleration but nice. The Tax Credits help, especialy with the Camry.

Best car to drive - Highlander
Best fuel ecconomy - Camry 39 mpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been driving my HiHy AWD for almost a year now; bought it new for $35000 and have approx 9700 miles on it, 70% highway and 30% city. In the summers I use the AC and in winters (cold ones in Des Moines, IA) both the heat and AWD portions.

My mileage is avg. 25.9 for the year to date & am about to go for my 2nd oil change.

I love the truck but my only issue is the relatively plain looks of the truck. I will likely buy the more comfortable armrest mentioned elsewhere on the site. The one thing I want to do next is replace the air filter with the K&N. Does anyone else have any experience with those?

·
498 Posts
Hi,

- Tyler
My 06 HH averages about 28-30 MPG in town with a mixture of flat and hilly driving. On the flat only 30+ is not uncommon. Highway MPG runs around 28 MPG. For a SUV the HH is the only way to go, if she is considering a car the Camry is a better choice, in my opinion. Proven technology, great fuel milesage, more room then the Honda and better ride. The Honda is very small compaired to the new Camry, the people down the street have two of the Honda's and they said thier next one will be the Camry for that reason, if that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Toyota states Hbrid H/L requires Premium fuel to get 'Close' to the EPA rating.

My friend drove his 07 H/L Hybrid Ltd.4WDi recently for 2100 miles in New Yrk area In 15 days. He was getting 19-20 MPG city and 31 max hiway. He says he clearly gets better MPG with the Premium fuel.

My 2006 non Hybrid H/L Ltd. 4WD with same odometer in miles gets 15-16 city and hiway gets me 28-30 max. Only regular fuel is the stated requirement. The difference is literally'Pennies',

How does one justify the the increased price for the Hybrid?
And the price of premium fuel?
Believe itor not, Electric hybrids in reality aren't 'Green' .

The LifeCycle of the hybrid from Poduction to Junkyard is Less Green Than an H3 Hummer. This has been documented. The NMH batts are toxic to the land. It's not Eco friendly!:(

The return on investment of a hybrid in general is very low. You must be a very high mileage driver and it must be city driven for those miles. And then you are saving so little on fuel over the lifespan of the vehicle to justify the average of $3-$4k extra to purchase.

The tax write off you get for a hybrid is a pitance. Dealers have put a glut on them and won't get creative on the pricing.

There'smore but I will end here. The concept is great though. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I owned a Honda CRV and hit a cow on a country road at night and had to get a new Car or SUV. After 2 months of research, I bought an '06 Highlander Hybrid and get better gas mileage than the 03 HOnda. It is a bit bigger, but I love the Hybrid's gas mileage and the power of the 6 cylinder vs. the 4 of the CRV.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts