Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - looking to have somebody do the timing belt on my ‘04. This is the only vehicle I’ve ever done a T belt on, so I have a few questions:

Are independent shops capable enough to do the job, or should I stick with the dealer? I have a guy I’ve used for some smaller things (brakes, drive belts, alternator), but not for major things.

If I go with said Indy shop, he will use the Gates kit. Is that a decent kit to use?

I was quoted $900 out the door which I think is a decent price. Closest dealer quoted me $1,273. I’m at 187k and the last time it was done was 94k.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Just from what I have read on here most say use only oem parts. Do a search for timing belt kits on here to find the best ones. You can buy all the stuff yourself then take it to the shop.

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Timing belt change isn't that difficult of a job if you have done a timing belts before. I would personally go with Toyota parts or Toyota OE Parts Manufactures. Gates make great belts but I don't know who they would use for the other parts. I would replace all moving parts in addition to all the cam and crank seals.

·
Registered
60 Posts
OK... I used the Gates kit from Rock auto. All fit well, no issues. $900 including parts sounds fair to me. Kit is less than $200 but it's a great time to replaces radiator hoses (I pulled the rad out to do the job, some don't) and the serpentine belt, so that is additional parts $. You will also be refilling the cooling system with 50/50 mix, more $.
Just be sure that you and the mechanic are on the same page with all of this. Once he gets the thing pulled apart he is in the drivers seat. Remember shops have a parts price mark-up.
1A Auto has a three part video of the process on you tube. Here is the first one, it will play the others in order... Chap

·
Registered
224 Posts
Get the Aisin kit. It's the OEM for Tundra. I did mine two years ago and it took me one day. I used the video above for reference and also changed hoses, and radiator. It's not hard to do, just takes a little time. Here's the link to the kit from RockAuto:

Link didn't show the actual part. It's this.:
AISIN TKT021 Includes Water Pump

w/ Hydraulic Tensioner

$162.79
You can also find 5% off codes on line for it to save even more.
Here it is on Amazon with free shipping for $171.78:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Check out Rock Auto. Your water pump is originally by Aisin. Go with the Gates belt, and either Timken bearings or get from Beck Arnley and tensioner as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts