Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a cracked head on my 2001 v-6 tundra. I need to conserve money and decided to try and do this myself. I removed the heads and got the valves done. The cracks were fixed. I am using the toyota TIS program as a guide. I torqued EVERYTHING to their requirement. I wasnt sure about the vacuum lines or the the other lines around the vacuum lines on the intake manifold. I simply followed the sticker guide on the truck hood. I replaced the timing belt, resealed the leaking water pump and replaced the plugs. I followed the instructions to the letter. It started a couple of times for about 3 seconds. It sounds like the timings off. The belt lines and cam gear lines all match up with the tdc marks. I may have rotated the right cam before the belt went on. When I installed the camshafts, i put the load on and removed the bolt. the dots lined up fine. All in accordance with the TIS program. I pulled off the valve covers again to ensure the camshafts where properly aligned still. I am going to check that next (wife said its time to eat damn it). I am soooo open to any other suggestions. Im not experienced in this. This is my first time doing anything this deep. Im an aircraft mechanic by trade. youd think this would be a breeze. Im stumped. Please help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
okay, so i went to check the camshafts. When i installed them, the TIS program had me match up the single dots on the left head. The double dots on the right head. i just put the crankshaft to TDC. the left head camshaft dots mate up with the single dots. the right head is no longer matching up with the double dots.Its mating up with the single dots just like the other head ??? I dont think it would matter much seeing how the pulley is keyed with the knock pin to align it. I think its called the knock pin. I'm refering to the pin that aligns the pulleys so they dont slip. There's no way it can be clocked at 180 deg different. There are 2 other concerns. May help you help me.??? the crank shaft has been turned maybe 7 to 15 times. the alignment marks on the timing belt are all 5 gears to the right from the alignment marks. Is that correct.?? The other concern is that theres a wire that comes out from under the manifold. i think its from the knock sensors. i may have put it in the wrong spot. i went between the fwd bracket and the right head. maybe its pinched and is suppose to come between the fwd bracket and the manifold??? im trying to give as much info as possible so i can avoid the time delay of question and answers . i need to get this up and running. i depend on it. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give. :crazy3d:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Did you remember to hook up the cam position sensor, it is on the left cam wheel I believe when you look at the timing belt cover. How did you crack the heads? Overheating? Did the thermostat go out or waterpump?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
probably overheated due to leaking water pump. My son drives it and i usually dont hear about it until theres a strange noise or light. Ive been working on putting the timing belt since this morning. its been kicking my butt.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was going to ask about the cam position sensor also. If it is hooked up, did you unhook the battery and reset the computer? I've seen a timing belt changed on a Kia without unhooking the battery and resetting the computer and it wouldn't start until we did that due to the cam position sensor.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was confused when I did my timing belt on my 01 V6. The manual showed the timing marks and the position on the crank. But when I took the covers off, the crank mark was before TDC. I reassembled everything the exact same way and the engine fired right up, ran for three seconds and died. I figured it was because the alternator was disconnected. I buttoned everything up and started with no problems.

BTW, if you were closer, you could have worked on my 172 :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.