Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7 years later and I finally have to replace my windshield. Got hit hard by a rock on the highway and with the heat and cold the crack spread from one side to the other. I remember a while back reading some horror stories about replacements, did some searching but can’t find the thread. Can anyone help with any advice or what to avoid so I don’t have a horror story on my hands. My truck is a black 2000 AC V8 4x4.

Also I have 2 leaks one in the back access area right behind the drivers side seat and another one in the front passenger seat to the right of the black tubing under the glove box. Both are pretty bad and I have no idea where to start looking to solve the problem. The worst is after it rains and you get into a cab that smells damp water.

Any help would be appreciated in any of the 3 problems.

Thanx

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use these techniques to find leaks

1 Take Vaseline and put a lite coat on the door rubber all the way around close the door let sit for 1 or 2 minutes then open you should see a line all the way around the door on the jam side if you see a spot where the line is broken or thinner that most likely where it is leaking

2 this is using baby powder put this in the jam {lite coat all the way around} close door If you have a brake in the line good chance that it

{the powder method can leave your truck smelling like a babies azz

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure if this is any help but my father's Sequoia had an issue on three separate occasions where fluxuations in temp combinde with moisture would cause the hatch motorized window to absolutely smash into pieces. We were outside one day and heard the lowd "pop" and thought someone had tried to break in. After 2 more times the dealer fessed up and told us that Yota has had problems like this with their vehicles but couldnt really offer up a great answer. Anyways, now my dads hatch sound like a rattle every time you hit a bump because of all the acumulated glass stuck at the bottom. This was probably no help whatsover but enjoy the story.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Don't let Safelite fix it or you'll really have leaks.
I agree!

Look in your phonebook for a windshield replacement company and see how long they've been in business. I'm not saying the longest run business offers the best service, but they have to be making money to stay open so.

Your truck should sit parked on a flat surface at least for 4-8 hours (depending on what bond used on the glass) after the work is completed to reduce the chance of developing an air pocket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts