1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Do you think people made these accusations because of the way the economy is now? Honestly, this was THE DUMBEST thing to happen to Toyota and they don't deserve it. Sorry, but as much as I do feel sorry for the people that died in the Lexus after the gas pedal was caught under the floor mat, I gotta say that I'm really confused as to how this is Toyota's fault. If he had after-market mats there and he has the gas pedal so far to the floor that it actually gets caught UNDERNEATH the floor mat, and he CAN'T reach down to pull them off the pedal, how does this equate to Toyota's fault? It seems like either just carelessness or just a lot of bad luck happening all at once...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree with the above. The driver does need to take some responsibility. I'm not trying to sound heartless but shouldn't a highway patrol officer be able to control a car at high speeds (traffic pending). At a minimum atleast know enough about a car from training to put it into neutral, and or shut it off? What happened back in the day when they used actual cables that used to stick...

·
Registered
859 Posts
Do you think people made these accusations because of the way the economy is now? Honestly, this was THE DUMBEST thing to happen to Toyota and they don't deserve it. Sorry, but as much as I do feel sorry for the people that died in the Lexus after the gas pedal was caught under the floor mat, I gotta say that I'm really confused as to how this is Toyota's fault. If he had after-market mats there and he has the gas pedal so far to the floor that it actually gets caught UNDERNEATH the floor mat, and he CAN'T reach down to pull them off the pedal, how does this equate to Toyota's fault? It seems like either just carelessness or just a lot of bad luck happening all at once...
Well, it wasn't actually the drivers fault eith if I recall. It wasn't his car, it was a rental or a loaner. Still baffles me how a CHP person couldnt stop the vehicle somehow, but of course I wasn't there. Maybe there were no barriers to scrape against, maybe he just went blank. Maybe BECAUSE it was a rental he was hesitant to damage the vehicle to stop it. Who knows?

BUT, this report is no surprise to me, or to any of us I would imagine. Wouldnt surprise me if there were some people who tried to rig their floormats for a payout. BTW, anyone knopw what happened to the Prius hoax guy?

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
I love it. Finally a well written article portraying unbiased facts.

I still don't know why Obama stuck his foot in the door saying, "there must be more to this than just floor mats." After which, it's like Michael Buffer was lowered a mic and Toyota faced the wave of complaints. The nightly news stations blowing everything 100x out of proportion every evening at 6:30 didn't help calm a nation of worriers looking for a new scapegoat.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I always knew that the sticky pedal issue was BS... Thats why I refused the dealership to do the recall. All I know is that Im glad that no stupid shim was added to my perfectly good working pedal. I did however, believe that pedal can get stuck under a floor mat, but I have the Weathertech so no worries there either. Now only if Toyota can redesign and recall for a new AIP I'd be a happy camper.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
This reminds me very much of the infamous iPhone 4 issue...

Angry iphone customer: You sold me a defective phone.. when I hold it up I can't get a signal!

Cool Jobs: How were you holding it when the signal disappeared?

Customer: (like this) [image of guy gripping it in a bears death grip]

Cool Jobs: No no, you're supposed to hold it like this... [cool grip on middle section]

Customer: Great, now I can't reach the buttons on either side!

Jobs: Move those fingers or get no exercise!

Both fighting over the grip to use when holding the phone.

Motto of story? Don't shoot the damn messenger! :)

Off I roll again.. I haven't bought my new vehicle yet, but when I do, I will announce it on these forums. :)

Sanosuke!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The US would be a lot better off if the mainstream media paid as much attention to risky bank investments as it does to antenna issues and floor mats.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love it. Finally a well written article portraying unbiased facts.

I still don't know why Obama stuck his foot in the door saying, "there must be more to this than just floor mats." After which, it's like Michael Buffer was lowered a mic and Toyota faced the wave of complaints. The nightly news stations blowing everything 100x out of proportion every evening at 6:30 didn't help calm a nation of worriers looking for a new scapegoat.
Obama got involved because our government had to protect its stake in "Government Motors". They wanted to drive sales to GM :devil:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Good ole Government Motors... the most politically correct car you can buy... it will give you great gas mileage for the first couple months then it will require you to pay a tax to continue to drive it and don't let it find out that you work for a living because it wont run unless you share your wealth with the rest of the country before you do with your own family.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Great article!!! I love the last part; how the women said she had the brakes on, but the video showed the brakes lights where not illuminated until after the accident! Of course its still not her fault... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
722 Posts
As has been said by many,this "recall" was little more than a UAW payback. Obongo just saying "thanks" for all the millions being deverted to the DEMOCRAT Party from union dues. No, I didn't say 'DEMOCRATIC' Party,there's nothing Democratic about it.The adoring Media joined right in when their 'Annointed One' and his *****es started the ball rolling.

·
Registered
131 Posts
A lot of these lawsuits were just opportunistic people trying to take advantage of a bad situation.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I practiced law for nearly 40 years. I told every client this rule: "I will never cheat you -- but I won't cheat FOR you, either."

It's too bad some attorneys have lost sight of one of the most necessary ethical guidlines, one of the most important because it is essential for our system of justice:

An attorney should never seek to mislead the court.

It makes me weep whenever I see one of these TV programs that alledgedly "reveals" some horrible misdeed. Watch carefully, because eventually they reveal that the "victim" has a case pending.

9 time out of 10, it's a class action, so the plaintiff's attorney is basically advertizing for more "victims" (read clients).

·
Registered
754 Posts
minus the law suits I still believe toyota is at fault for SOME OF THE ACCIDENTS then you have other folks who tried to or thought they could make a quick buck by going along with bandwagon. You always have the bad seed in apples, but you have the good seeds also. What happened to the officer is tragic thats for damn sure no matter who you guys blame the driver or toyota he is DEAD we need to respect that. Sometimes people cant act under pressure and thats what happened with 2 floor mats stuck under your foot.....not everyone is super fast thinkers with fast reflexed like all TS.com members.....I would of just jammed it into neutral personally.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
minus the law suits I still believe toyota is at fault for SOME OF THE ACCIDENTS then you have other folks who tried to or thought they could make a quick buck by going along with bandwagon. You always have the bad seed in apples, but you have the good seeds also. What happened to the officer is tragic thats for damn sure no matter who you guys blame the driver or toyota he is DEAD we need to respect that. Sometimes people cant act under pressure and thats what happened with 2 floor mats stuck under your foot.....not everyone is super fast thinkers with fast reflexed like all TS.com members.....I would of just jammed it into neutral personally.
You don't have to be a super-fast thinker. They had time to call 911 and hold a conversation.

·
Registered
554 Posts
These are probably the same type people that think it is o.k. to use cruise control on slippery roads. Driver's licences mean you passed a generally unstressful driving test, it doesn't mean you have any real driving experience or can think or react in an emergency. Maybe it is time for enhanced testing to get a licence and perhaps some re-testing for those with difficulty aiming their vehicles down the road.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 31 Posts