Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Craven Speed Stubby antenna, was getting sick of my oem one unscrewing by itself every other day. The reception is HORRIBLE! Most of the time it's just static, honestly didn't expect it to be this bad.

Is there any reason for the bad reception, other than it's shorter than the oem one? I'm wondering if theres anyway to make it better.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I do not have an answer to your question but you have answered mine!
I have never been that happy with the stock antenna reception so I wondered if these would work better. Apparently they don't!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had saved their site the other day to go back and order one... Looks like I'll find another option or break out the loctite.

David

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I have one, and I don't listen to FM much, but I didn't notice a drop in reception. For those of us that mostly use sirius or xm it is definitly an upgrade in looks. I would assume that if you live out of the city you need the extra length of the antenna but if you live in the city like me it really won't make much difference. It only cost like $20 so if someone is thinking about it you should just try it and see. Results have been varied. Sorry you were one of the bad ones though!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought a Stainless one off of ebay I think it is 14" and about 3/8" in diameter, its a nice ant. I think it helped my reception but I rarely use the radio, but I got sick of the 30" ant also flopping in the wind,

·
Registered
859 Posts
I thought in order to function better, lhe length of antennas had to be a multiple of the wavelength of the signal being received. Or something. Guess it doesn't really matter as the radio will obviously pick up multiple wavelengths.

FWIW, my stock one doesn't unscrew itself. The top of it is also slightly higher than the top of the truck, so is a handy 'feeler' when going into some of these 'will it/won't it' fit parking garages. Can't always trust the height they put on the sign.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I purchased the black Stubby. Rarely listen to fm, but when I do, the static is very minor. Like a few other people, I HATED the whip antenna and also figure it was well worth it just for that reason.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
The OEM antenna is a quarter wave monopole. For best reception its length should be 0.25 of the receiving wavelength in the center of the FM band. This works out to around 30". Shorten it and reception will be proportionally compromised.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
The OEM antenna is a quarter wave monopole. For best reception its length should be 0.25 of the receiving wavelength in the center of the FM band. This works out to around 30". Shorten it and reception will be proportionally compromised.
Way to come in and complicate things Mr Cresoste!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Doesn't anybody use coat hangers anymore?? Always worked on my '62 Dodge Dart.

Speaking of antennas....we went looking at the new 2011 Tundra's and every single one had a black antenna looking thing on the roof over the right passenger seat. It's butt ugly...reminded me of a Chevy with OnStar. Anybody know exactly what it's for?? Asked two sales persons...got two different answers. I was told I can't get a truck without it....guess I'll start looking at Fords or Dodges.........;)

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
You mean there was no 30" monopole on the passenger's fender at all, just the bump on the roof?

If this is true, they probably have a little amplifier in the bump to boost up the FM signal to compensate for the crappy pickup the bump gets by itself.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Are you referring to this picture? If so, it's the XM antenna.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Are you referring to this picture? If so, it's the XM antenna.
Yeah, that's that ugly piece of black plastic I was referring to. What if you don't want XM radio...why should I have to put up with the antenna? It still had the other antenna as well. Could never understand why Toyota didn't go to an automatic retracting antenna instead of the fixed antenna on a 30k truck.

If I do get another Tundra the Tow Mirrors are a Must Have item, and finding a truck with the options I want, plus the TM's is becoming almost impossible. I was told Toyota is making very few trucks with the TM's. What do they think a truck with the Tow Package will be used for?? Whoever is spec'ing out trucks must not live in the real world. Going back to clip-on mirror extenders is not an option I will even consider. :amen:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, I was also hoping to find a Crewmax Platinum with factory tow mirrors but no go. I'm still debating on what to do about the tow mirrors. I have the power fold, heat and turn and don't want to lose either. To get all those functions and stick with OEM, I'd be dishing close to $700 (or more).
I think the powered or telescoping antenna idea is a good mod but not sure if it can be done. As for the XM, I'm not sure why it couldn't be painted like some of the other plastic parts i.e. Tacoma, etc., it would look much better. Most trucks, if not all, are now shipping with XM.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Dang, I was going to get a Craven stubby because Maylon has one...:p

Really now, I listen to FM a lot so maybe I just have to get used to the stock antenna, eh....

Anyone in the Portland, OR / Vancouver, WA area with the stubby and have feedback with reception???

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have the stubby from craven. The reception is not as good as the factory but I don't listen to FM much.

·
Fellow Tundra Owner
1,870 Posts
I noticed on their site it says 1999-2014 Tundra but I think thats wrong. I took the 12" antenna off my 2002 Tundra when I traded it in and it doesnt work on my 2012.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts