Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is a classic one. Wife likes the Crewmax, I like the longer bed of the DC. She understands but wants some real word cases in which I would need the longer bed. I can live with a sheet of ply wood hanging off the end, but can I get a full sized quad in the back and if so how much would be on the tailgate. I don’t have one currently but I am looking at them. What is the length with the tailgate down?
Any other things I can’t haul in a 5.5 bed that I am not thinking about?
I want to make a decision based on application, not just “real trucks have 6.5’ beds”
Thanks for you help

·
Registered
237 Posts
This one is a classic one. Wife likes the Crewmax, I like the longer bed of the DC. She understands but wants some real word cases in which I would need the longer bed. I can live with a sheet of ply wood hanging off the end, but can I get a full sized quad in the back and if so how much would be on the tailgate. I don’t have one currently but I am looking at them. What is the length with the tailgate down?
Any other things I can’t haul in a 5.5 bed that I am not thinking about?
I want to make a decision based on application, not just “real trucks have 6.5’ beds”
Thanks for you help
Your wife's got good taste:tu: She likes the CrewMax:tu:

The CrewMax bed is 5 1/2 feet long. With the tailgate down, your looking at another 2 feet? I hardly used the bed on my '04 DC which was 6', so when the time came to buy the new Tundra, the CrewMax was a no brainer. I prefer to have the extra space on the inside that in the bed IMO. I'm not sure what the size of a quad is, but I'm sure someone would be able to chime in.

Good luck on your decision, but remember whatever you choose, it's got to be a CrewMax:D

·
Banned
223 Posts
I have a Honda Rubicon 500 - its is 6'7" in overall length. As best as I can tell, the center of the rear wheels would most likely be right about the beginning of your tailgate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The bed size was actually the only reason why we ended up with the Double vs the Crew. While the extra 1' doesn't seem to be a lot, it was just too short for my liking. My last truck had an 8ft bed and it was so nice to just shut the tailgate and not worry about anything. So we went for the middle ground. We bike ride and camp. With the 5.5 bed, we would have had enough room for the two bicycles, but then there wouldn't have been much room for the camping gear. I wish I could give you some more real life idea's as to what a 6.5 can do that a 5.5 can't do, but I just can't think of any.

A crew cab with the 6.5 bed would have been the perfect truck for us. Gut feeling says they will eventually offer this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got 3 atvs a honda forman 450, a suzuki vinson 500 (both utility) and a raptor 700. My previous truck was a 2001 dodge with the 6 1/2' bed (the previous model dodge). Main reason I bought the new Tundra was the length of the bed. I don't like my 4wheeler in the back of the truck with the tailgate down, doesn't feel secure to me. None of my atvs would fit in a new dodge(2002 and up) with the tailgate up. They will in the new Tundra. I know people will argue with me on this one, but the weight of the atv on the tailgate seems like over time it would wear out the tailgate, plus what if you need to hall things like gas cans, ramps, riding gear etc. in the back of your truck along with the atv?

I guess I'm arguing in favor of the bigger bed. Then again if the wife is all set on the crewmax, maybe you're better to go along with her.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I work part-time for a Honda/Suzuki dealer and sometimes have to deliver a new ATV for the customer. My current truck is a 2001 F150 Supercrew with the 5 1/2 bed. So far no problems fitting the whole Honda/Suzuki line-up in the back. The only suggestion for you is that you may want to place a piece of of plywood on the bed floor from the cab to the end of the tailgate. On the ford, the tailgate sheet metal is not as strong as the bed and the heavy ATVs could cause the tailgate to dent it.

I can't imagine the CrewMax bed being different, so you should be able to carry most ATV's.

The 5 1/2 bed on my supercrew is a non issue, and will be replacing the ford with the Toyota soon.

·
Registered
285 Posts
When we go to the lake I enjoy being able to put all the crap in the bed. The kids always have there stuff and tubes etc take up alot of room. To me I would like to have the bed space. But, that is why they make chocolate and vanilla.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 6' tall... I can't sleep comfortably in the back of this truck with the gate up.... nor can my twin matress fit in it...
But... I have a cabin cruiser boat to tow with it... So ... whatver...

I had a Dodge Diesel crew cab with the 8' bed... I don't think I used more than 5.5 feet of it the entire time... All the extra got me was sore knees crawling in to get the things I couldn't reach because they slid too far forward.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think that the CrewMax is an awesome idea for someone who uses their 4x4 for the family car and then needs a truck on the weekends. It is the largest backseat I have ever sat in and I must say that along with hauling a whole lot of crap in the cab, you can fit a whole lot in a 5 foot 5 inch bed. I don’t know about the Quad’s but it might depend on how often you are going to haul it. If it’s something you’re looking at every weekend and it will hang over onto the tailgate, she might not want her stuff rolling out the back of the truck.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dude... The Double Cab is the only way to go. Here is an senerio that you might want to consider. Say you have a wife and she likes big xmas trees, and you have house with a really big front room. If you purchase... lets say a 12' tree you will need to have the 8 1/2 foot length so that your tree is less than 4' over the edge. I believe 4' with a flag is the legal limit where I live and it might be the same where you live. Just that alone will save you the head ache of getting pulled over and a ticket. Also the added length will help you out when your wife wants you to do all those back yard projects, and if you attend any functions where Tailgating is involved she will thank you for talking her into the longer bed.

Truckdood :devil:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Over the weekend I hauled a 7-foot bench in my CrewMax bed with no problem. Went with tailgate down and secured it with rope. No problem.

I don't expect any regrets over the bed size. Also, you can get the bed extender that will extend your "contained" cargo area out to your tailgate.

I ordered a bedmat for mine and it's custom-made to fit the 5.5 bed. Looks great in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A person could haul a 7 foot bench in a Tacoma, or a mini Truck.. Thats baby stuff.. When you buy a full size truck you are looking at hauling full size loads. Stick to your guns Aspen12777 and get the biggest bed you can find. A woman likes a man that handles the big purchases.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can appreciate the large backseat in a CrewMax but I don't understand why so many people think its NECESSARY. I am 6'1" and sit comfortably in the back of the DC and I had my brother jump in the back as well (6'4") and he fit fine also. There isn't as much EXTRA room for him, true, but how many are 6'4" + and taller? If you have KIDS the DC should be huge!

And as others have stated...you can carry a lot of things in the bed with the tailgate down, but what if you need to throw extras back there? Bags, fishing polls, tools, camping gear, coolers :confused:

·
Registered
214 Posts
A woman likes a man that handles the big purchases.
And I wouldn't blow off her input, but if this is going to be your vehicle or if you are doing most of the driving you should get what you want/need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@ckeck,

Your right, there is not real need for a seat that big in a truck. If you want big cushy seats buy a old woman car like a Lincoln Continental. Trucks are for men and sexy down to earth country girls. With a bed length like the DC has you can load up a picnic table, your coolers, a jet ski the tent, sleeping bags, and your food stuffs and still have plenty of room in the cab for the Wife, two children, two dogs, and the neighbor girl.

DC kicks *** for Men,and Crew Max for the ladies.

·
Registered
379 Posts
There are things other than plywood that a longer bed is useful for. Sections of PVC pipe for irrigation projects/repair, 2x4s, and like you said, ATVs.

However if you have older kids, the extra leg room would be a worthy trade-off. But if you don't have a real use for the extra leg room, no use in having it.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
@ckeck,

Your right, there is not real need for a seat that big in a truck. If you want big cushy seats buy a old woman car like a Lincoln Continental. Trucks are for men and sexy down to earth country girls. With a bed length like the DC has you can load up a picnic table, your coolers, a jet ski the tent, sleeping bags, and your food stuffs and still have plenty of room in the cab for the Wife, two children, two dogs, and the neighbor girl.

DC kicks *** for Men,and Crew Max for the ladies.

Dude...who carries a Jet ski in there truck bed? You back your truck all the way down to the launch with the rear in the water? They have trailers for those things nowaday man...Back to the topic at hand, Its all really about personal preference. I play paintball on a semi-pro team so we are always riding around state to state with all our gear and about 4 or 5 guys in each truck. When the shortest guy is 6'1" its nice to have extra room in the back so you don't have to move your seat forward. That is one of the reasons we bought the Dodge Ram Mega Cab. It has an awesome big back seat like the Crewmax and a bed just big enough to carry some gear. I can't wait to get my new tundra and i am still in the process of debating between the crewmax and the DC myself but for different reasons. If you want more leg room in the truck but need to carry something big...use a trailer! These trucks tow 10,000lbs+ for a reason you know..not everything has to go in the bed ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I put my dirtbike (crf450r) in the back of my CrewMax no problem. I have a bed extender for mine fwiw.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I Too Have Atvs And Haul Them In The Back Of My Truck. Yes You Can Haul Atvs In Either Bed Length With No Problem. But The Main Reason Why I Got The Dc With The 6.5 Ft Bed Is You Can Close The Tailgate And Lock It And Feel Safe When You Go To The Store Or Camp Overnight Somewhere. Using The Bed Extender Does Not Give You Piece Of Mine. I Not Only Lock My Tailgate But Also Lock The Bike To One Of The Tiedowns Which Have The Bolts Red Lock Tight In. I Had A Friend Go Out To Dinner After Riding And Someone Rolled There Bike Out Of The Bed And Took It. Thats Why I Will Never Get A Truck That I Cant Close And Lock The Tailgate With My Quad In The Back. Just My 2 Cents.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My YZ fits in the back of my CM with room to spare using the bed extender. Went to local rock yard got a yard of fill dirt dumped in the bed with out a problem. I plan on having three dirt bikes in the back of it this weekend because my buddy doesn't want to take his chevy 6.0, can't afford the gas. And there will be plenty of room upfront three riders and their gear. I would have problably bought a DC if the rear cab was as big as my 05's.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts