Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the pics VooDoo posted, I was finally able to figure out how to get the puddle light pod out of the CrewMax mirror housing and update the yellow light to LEDs from VLEDs.com....... Becareful of damaging the pod and scratching the bottom of the mirror when doing this - it's easy, but does take a bit of tinkering .....

:D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nice job and great little diagram you made. :tu: Glad someone else was brave enough to try it:)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks VooDoo..... Couldn't have done it without you..... more to follow from the grab-bag of LEDs I received from VLEDs....

:yo:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thanks to the pics VooDoo posted, I was finally able to figure out how to get the puddle light pod out of the CrewMax mirror housing and update the yellow light to LEDs from VLEDs.com....... Becareful of damaging the pod and scratching the bottom of the mirror when doing this - it's easy, but does take a bit of tinkering .....

:D

Awesome job...Thanks a ton!!!!

Matt

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
So I don't have the puddle lights in my mirrors. They are powered and heated. I have a 2007 SR5 CM. Do these only come on the Limiteds? Do I have to buy a set off of a Limited? Will they work with my setup?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I have an 07 Limited but I dont have puddle lights....

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In 2008, the puddle lights only came on CrewMax Limiteds.....

I don't know how you are set-up, but it would seem to me that you would have to either get the limited housing and wire it yourself or get a hole curret and install it yourself. It could be tricky to get the edge around the hole just right, the you'll have to notch it out, that is if you could even get the puddle lamp pod.

There was a guy on another forum that put a hole in the bottom of their mirror housing and glued an LED puck in there and wired it to the interior wiring...... same effect, but more home-made looking

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have an 07 Limited but I dont have puddle lights....

To have puddle lamps on the double cab limited you have to have the memory package. The memory package is standard on crewmax limited.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If needed here is a shot of my wires for my mirrors. Get ready for it, has a grand total of 17 wires:eek:. My whole plug is full but 1.

·
Registered
375 Posts
im pretty sure you can install puddle lights on mirrors that dont have them already (just sport mirrors not tow mirrors) Was looking at my buddies tundra the other day and the bottom of his mirror has a cut out for the puddle light. So it looks like you can just cut out the trace line i guess you would call it and install it. It may be pre wired if not youll just have to run wires to a light that comes on when you unlock the truck.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Thanks for the input. My mirrors have a rectangular piece that looks like it pops out to get to the wiring so it may be possible to put something in.......

·
Registered
818 Posts
See the other post VooDooDan started...this didn't go very well for me tonight at all!!!!!

These things are a PAIN to work on....a total PITA!!!!!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to hear about your problems. That frreking tab is tempermental, I had to jiggle the screwdriver around in there to get it free, until I figured out that the opposing lip was holding it in.

As VooDoo mentioned, the lens is fused to the black housing so you absolutely have to cut it. I used a dremmel. then used black RTV to hold the pod together.

I am surprised VLED isn't handling the issue any better.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. That frreking tab is tempermental, I had to jiggle the screwdriver around in there to get it free, until I figured out that the opposing lip was holding it in.

As VooDoo mentioned, the lens is fused to the black housing so you absolutely have to cut it. I used a dremmel. then used black RTV to hold the pod together.

I am surprised VLED isn't handling the issue any better.
Yea...I am pissed at myself for screwing up the puddle lamp and at VLEDs...especially considering all the cash I spent with him to retrofit my entire truck. I mean I barely bent the wire on this thing and the negative wire pulled out of the solder...yet it passed QC?!?!? :noidea:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Where did you apply the adhesive that you used to re-seal the lens to the lamp housing? I am worried about going to all this trouble and in a year or so, the adhesive works it's way loose, the lens falls off on the highway, and I have to order another replacement lamp and go through the process all over again.

This is the DUMBEST design I have ever seen!

Matt

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used black RTV adhesive. I gooped it on and used a C-Clamp to hold it together overnight. In the morning, I used a utility knife to scrape away the excess. I tugged on it and it held.

The guy at VLED suggested using an exacto knife to separate the cover from the rest of the pod, but I chose to use a dremmel. He also said it wasn't for the "faint of heart"..... which I interpreted to mean that an accident could occur to the pod if I weren't careful. After the dremmel, I sanded down the cover so it would lay flat on the lens.

I saw you had issues with the wires on the board. I angled the festoon and wrapped the wires in a circular pattern around the inner edge of the pod then laid board in the center. It was a tight fit, but the C-Clamp held it all together until the RTV dried.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. VLEDs is taking care of me and sending a replacement out to me today and covering all the shipping. I did order a replacement puddle lamp...$33 from TRD Sparks and they have to order it so I had to expedite the shipping to get it by this weekend to get this all done. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Matt

·
Registered
818 Posts
I ordered it by phone from TRD Sparks. I'll post a part number when I receive it. I'm sure it will be on the receipt. Cost was about $33. It is for the lamp and lens...the whole assembly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts