Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure I looked at the right number in the owner's manual yesterday after seeing a Ford commercial during the game today.

I made two trips to Home Depot this weekend...trip one I had 36 bags of mulch and trip two I had 40. The Ford commercial stated 1,500 lbs payload? Really?

I really hope this isn't true since I had well over 2,000 lbs in the bed on both of those trips.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
the numbers that ford post for payload, are ludicrous. the frame might handle it, but god forbid you had to drive up any hills or anything. power wise, i dont know how they can rate their trucks, what they do??

i dont know the payload on the tundra, but i know the 5.7 will tow circles around the ford all day.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Just got this straight off of the toyota website. 1555 lbs

CAPACITIES
Weight and capacities
Curb weight (lbs.) 5645
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) (lbs.) 7200
Maximum Payload [3] (lbs.) 1555
Towing capacity [4] (lbs.) 10100

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Just remember their stated weights are quoted for safety & liability. Our trucks will handle much more than that, but to "cover their azz" they'll quote it less. I have no clue what we could really haul, but I've had over 2000 in there several times without issue.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just remember their stated weights are quoted for safety & liability. Our trucks will handle much more than that, but to "cover their azz" they'll quote it less. I have no clue what we could really haul, but I've had over 2000 in there several times without issue.
That makes me feel a WHOLE lot better. A 4x4 Crewmax (per Toyota's website) is rated at 1,575 but you take away 75 for the towing package and it puts it at 1,500. The max I had in there was 2,000 lbs. I'm just hoping for no permanent damage to the suspension since I exceeded the rated capacity.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That makes me feel a WHOLE lot better. A 4x4 Crewmax (per Toyota's website) is rated at 1,575 but you take away 75 for the towing package and it puts it at 1,500. The max I had in there was 2,000 lbs. I'm just hoping for no permanent damage to the suspension since I exceeded the rated capacity.
i would say, worst case, you took a little life off your struts. no big deal.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you need more than 1500lb payload capacity you should have bought a truck with a higher capacity. That is what Toyota rates them at, what anyone else says about payload capacity being higher means nothing.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
While I agree with ya Mac, these trucks are rated what they are for legal reasons. Everything is like that now a days.

Matt, no harm done. As long as you didn't completely invert your leafs (and you didn't with 2K lbs) you're fine. Just gave your truck a workout and your shocks a straining. Mine with 45K miles is still a stiffer rear end than my buddys Dodge and allk the Chevrolets I've had the pleasure of using.

Oh yeah, and where's the pics for proof?

-rockstate

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put firestone airbags in and havent tested how much to drop in yet i imagine lots.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Open your door and look at your yellow payload sticker. That tells you EXACTLY how much payload you have.

I really wouldn't worry about 2000 lbs though. Your axles are rated for something like 1000-1500 lbs more than your GVWR. The limiting factor is most likely stock P rated tires. Your brakes are rated to stop your GVWR plus either 3000 or 5000 lbs trailer (refer to owners manual, I don't remember). With too much weight in the bed you will start to experience a light front end and decreased steering. it is EXCEPTIONALLY unlikely that you will incur any long term damage by occasionally exceeding your payload. Just be aware that it will take longer to stop. I've hauled over a ton of mulch or firewood or gravel in the bed numerous times with nary a single problem. I do have airbags though and generally throw 25 lbs of air in them if I know I am getting something heavy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts