Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
06 SR5 4x2 61K
Here's the deal. I recently changed my oil and rotated my tires. After rotating, I began to notice some suspension noise after a 1000 mile road trip. It's almost like a clunking sound when the vehicle weight shifts (turns and bumps), mainly after the vehicle heats up. It happens mainly at low speeds. Sometimes it's loud, but mainly it's quiet. The loud clunks almost seem like the floorboard is being hit. I can't tell which side it's coming from. I got underneath it and couldn't really see anything out of the ordinary, although I don't know a lot about suspensions. I took it to Pep Boys for a "suspension check" and they couldn't find anything. The tech said it "might be the passenger side front strut/shock". He showed me, and it's beginning to leak and the case is cracked at the top. He wasn't real sure. He was able to reproduce the noise. My carfax that came with it when I bought it said "balljoint replaced". I'm assuming they did both sides, but with these guys you never know. I guess this is part of the recall.
Also, the steering wheel isn't straight when I'm driving straight. It's slightly to the left. It wasn't like that before the rotation. Should I just re-rotate my tires back the way they were? Any ideas? Keep in mind I would rather have a group or retarded monkeys working on my truck than my local dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, the suspension is stock if that helps.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Hmmmm, odd. I take it all your wheels/tires are the same size? Maybe there is another problem, perhaps your u-joints on the driveshaft are going out? Leaf springs might be loose.. A lot of different things can be wrong. Sorry I cannot be of much help. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
I suggest a simple test.

Try rotating your wheels and tires back to where they were. See if the problem goes away, particularly the crooked steering wheel. If it does, then you will have confirmed that the tire rotation itself was a factor, and likely the problem is defective tire. Believe it or not, the noise could be coming from such a tire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE!

Just wanted to update and hopefully help some others out. I re-rotated the tires back to where they were and this seemed to help out the crooked steering, although it's not 100%. The noise has steadily gotten worse. Worried something was about to fall apart, I did some more searching and found a few more possibilities. These all came from various threads here with people describing similar problems. 1- Loose bolt holding the body to the frame. 2- Loose castle nut on upper ball joint. 3- Loose and/or missing bolts on middle of transmission cross member/trans mount.
Well it was #3. I checked the bolts and found that 3 of the 4 are missing and the last one was loose enough that I was able to hand tighten it. Also, there was a plastic bushing? rolling around inside the cross member. I assume that this piece will only stay in the hole it belongs once the bolts are all tightened. I called the local stealership and ordered replacements. We'll see if the order the right ones. I tightened the remaining one (13 ft.-lbs.) and the noise has completely stopped.
Thanks for all those who had suggestions. Hopefully this will help out some others with the same symptoms. More info on this, just search "trans cross member" and it should come up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts