Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I go to drain and refill the tranny pan. I've done this religously since I bought the truck with 58K on it. Somehow, someway the drain plug came out harder than normal. I check the threads and both the pan and bolt look okay. I drain the tranny fluid and then put the bolt in and sure enough it goes in but very difficult. It's as if the threads a bit buggered up.

So, the next time should I completely drop the pan and tap it and put in a new drain bolt? Should I just put on a brand new pan and drain bolt? Or can I leave the pan on, tap it while on the truck and put in a new drain bolt?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
try getting just a new drain plug and gasket. it has saved me times before with no issues. if that fails, you can tap it right there. i have done it also. most of the metal shaving will fall out, but the small amount that does go into the pan will be collected by the magnets. sometimes you can work it in and out and it will be ok too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Any idea what metric thread the pan bolt is? I've got a tap set so no issues there. I've got to assume the pan bolt is softer than than the pan metal?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
man, i don't remember. i'm going to guess it's a 12x1.25, or 1.50? remove the plug and try to see if you can match up the tread, if the treads are still good.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I guess my concern would be the metal shavings that may end up in the pan. As
was mentioned, the magnets may catch it, but I would be concerned that they also
may not catch it. If I were to do it I would drop the pan and tap it, that way
you'll be 100% sure there are no metal shavings kicking around.

John

·
Registered
367 Posts
Being the nervous and paranoid type, I'd drop the tranny pan before tapping that bolt hole out. I wouldn't be worried about metal shavings getting into the pan - you could always pour your old ATF back through the fill tube to flush those out. I'd be concerned about what the tip of the tap would hit on the bottom of the valve body once its fully threaded into the hole.

The other thing I would suggest: don't just re-tap at the same diameter and pitch. Drill the hole out, just enough to get completely rid of the old threads, re-tap it at that larger diameter, and (of course) find a new bolt OF THE SAME LENGTH to fit the re-tapped hole. My thinking here is that, in the past, I've tried to kludge things like this by just re-tapping the existing hole. In my experience, the same size bolt never quite fits properly after that. Being that this is what holds the juice in the tranny, I'd err on the side of caution.

I have learned the "there's never time (or money) to do it right; but there's always time (or money!!) to do it OVER" lesson far too many times. ;)

Just my $0.02, of course. Good luck, either way.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I have a used pan from a 2000 Tundra in my garage free to you if you can use it just cover the shippinglet me know if you'd like it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts