Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Cruise Control Adjustment?

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Splicer 
#1 ·
I'm sure everyone out there has noticed how these Tacomas take off like a bat out of hell if the cruise speed drops even 1 or 2 miles an hour. You know, youre driving 80 and the hill is steep so you drop down to 78, then your neck snaps and your truck drops two gears and starts screaming up the mountain. Anyone found a way to adjust the cruise to give it more leeway and tone it down. I climb a pass on my way to work every day, my Accord wagon gently shifts and loses maybe 10 mph on this pass, the Taco rears back a forth through the gears like a bucking bull. Pretty annoying feature, my ideal solution is adjustment of machinery, not tricks that I must manually do to get around this.

#6 ·
There was a thread about this on TN I believe the person replaced his CC with an after market unit and his problem was solved? Not sure though? You need to do a search on TN.

Good luck!
I purchased an '06 R/C A/T without cruise. I purchased a RF aftermarket unit and it works flawlessly.:) Nice smooth accelations up inclines and same going down ... holds true.

It drives my buddy nuts:cry: as his SR5 Tundra acts like the rocket described .... it just bolts .... not sure of an answer.

#8 ·
My 07' works exceptionally well... Find myself using it frequently. Someone mentioned over on TN that the cruise was reprogrammed on the 07's.
I've never had this problem on my 07 V6 Automatic and I use the cruise control daily on 80 mile round trips over many hills. Maybe they fixed it for 07.

#11 ·
Royal, welcome to TS and thanks for the info! Guess that disproves that Toyota fixed the problem with the '07s... I have read a ton of posts regarding this, both here and on another board. Seems that some trucks' cruise works just fine, but quite a few do not. :td:

#12 ·
Toyota Explination (when I called about this): I explain that this happened on both my 2002 4cyl and now my 2005 6cyl - they said they did this to allow folks pulling trailers to do so with curse (mispelled on purpose) control - the thing is set to downshift under any load increase (going up a slight incline???).

Helpful trick: while this doesn't solve the issue. it does help alot. If you are cruising at 70mph or less, the minute you see a hill, drop it out of OD...the truck will cruise all day long in "4" as long as you are not pushing over 70. That double downshift / double upshift cycle will stop. Once you hit level ground again, slap it back over into OD.

#13 ·
Helpful trick: while this doesn't solve the issue. it does help alot. If you are cruising at 70mph or less, the minute you see a hill, drop it out of OD...the truck will cruise all day long in "4" as long as you are not pushing over 70. That double downshift / double upshift cycle will stop. Once you hit level ground again, slap it back over into OD.
And that's exactly what my dealer told me to do, and imho, that's a truckload of bs. Not only does it largely defeat the purpose of having/using CC, it's annoying as hell and should not be necessary. I can drive the truck up & down the same grades smoothly without using CC, usually with no downshifting (auto trans). In my 40 years of driving, I have owned several vehicles with CC and have never, ever experienced a CC remotely as bad as the piece of junk in my Tacoma. I like the truck, but its CC is a very bad joke. Toyota should hang their head in shame over this. :td:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.