Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish my tundra's cruise control wasn't so "sensitive". It seems like any slight incline and my truck downshifts excessively to complete the hill I'm driving.
Anyone else having this issue? Any fixes?

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I wish my tundra's cruise control wasn't so "sensitive". It seems like any slight incline and my truck downshifts excessively to complete the hill I'm driving.
When going up inclines, use your foot to help give more gas, but you might be able to do it without making the trans shift down. After you let off the gas, the truck will resume whatever speed you were cruising before. It will only disengage if you turn it off, or push on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
699 Posts
try setting it 5mph faster then you usally have it, it seems to work for me.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
When going up inclines, use your foot to help give more gas
My tundra doesn't respond to manual throttle input at all when I'm using cruise control. It only responds to braking - kind of weird!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My V8 Tundra works flawlessly using cruise control on Interstate inclines and even set as low as 30 mph down by the river in a notorious speed trap. Now there is a limit to how steep a hill you can clime without downshifting. But, both it and our Corolla seem to somehow compesate for inclines nicely by adjusting timing, fuel mixture, or whatever their little computer modules make decisions on. Now our underpowered RAV4 is a different story! Maybe Tundra owners with this issue have V6's?

·
Registered
80 Posts

I know exactly what you are talking about. I live in Portland, Oregon and I was driving east out through the Columbia River Gorge (ALWAYS high winds coming from the east, so I had a very strong head wind) and my cruise control set at 70 was constantly downshifting to just try and compensate for the headwind!! :eek: Very annoying. I just turned it off and it stopped downshifting.

Also, if I use the steering wheel controls to speed up when the cruise is on, it accelerates VERY fast with the rpm's jumping up into the high 4000's. I have learned to not hold the steering wheel control down to accelerate, but to rather tap it. If I tap it, it will accelerate at a normal speed. I really do not like the 06 Tundra cruise control. :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
My tundra doesn't respond to manual throttle input at all when I'm using cruise control. It only responds to braking - kind of weird!
That's not good. Every car I've driven with cruise control will accelerate manually, and then if you slow down (no gas) it will pick back up where you originally had it set.

If you disengaged the clutch, stepped on the brake, or switched CC off manually, that's the only time it would stop. The same goes for automatic minus the clutch part.

Again this is just my experience with the vehicles I have owned (too many!) :)

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
My V8 Tundra's cruise control works perfectly. Your truck should respond to you pushing on the accelerator with your cruise on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
try holding the skinny pedal all the way to the floor. Mine responds well to that. I almost never have to downshift for hills:D

·
Registered
459 Posts
I use it when I go through a knwon speed trap area, it keeps me away from speeding. Other wise down here in South Florida it is a free for all. Here is the list of how to drive like a Floridian, my favorite is #13 and I hate to say it but I have used any means necessary.

1. Turn signals will give away your next move. A real Florida driver never uses them.

2. Under no circumstance should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, or the space will be filled in by somebody else, putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

4. Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will result in you being rear-ended.

5. Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive bodywork, especially someone from Florida or Georgia. With no- fault insurance the other guy doesn't have anything to lose.

6. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to stretch your legs.

7. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. It's a good way to prepare for people entering the highway.

8. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as a suggestion and are apparently not enforceable in any County during rush hour.

9. Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a Florida driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your spot.

10. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire. This is seen as a sign of respect for the victim.

11. Learn to swerve abruptly. Florida is the home of high-speed slalom driving.

12. It is traditional in Florida to honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light turns green.

13. Remember that the goal of every Florida driver is to get there first by whatever means necessary.

14. In Florida, 'flipping someone the bird' is considered a polite salute. This gesture should always be returned.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I don't live in Florida but I've driven there a few times and that pretty much describes it! :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
The logic for whatever sensors or computer controls the cruise system is not very good. I experience the same issue with downshifts on the slightest of inclines on my V-8 Tundra. Same thing happens in my 06 Sienna also. It is an area where Toyota does not do a very good job with it's engine controls.

I am basing this conclusion on a comparison with my old 2000 Honda Odyssey. That vehicle would hold the most consistant speed, on any incline, downshifting only once on any length or grade of incline, never hunting between gears like my Toyota's both do. And when it did downshift, you wouldn't feel it, you would just see the tach make a jump. It was a real work of engineering art.

Toyota's cruise control system sucks by comparison. To maintain any level of smoothness while driving through moderately hilly terrain, I found myself moderating the throttle as I start up small inclines to keep the cruise from jumping down a gear (which it does with no grace whatsoever).

·
Registered
101 Posts
The logic for whatever sensors or computer controls the cruise system is not very good. I experience the same issue with downshifts on the slightest of inclines on my V-8 Tundra. Same thing happens in my 06 Sienna also. It is an area where Toyota does not do a very good job with it's engine controls.

I am basing this conclusion on a comparison with my old 2000 Honda Odyssey. That vehicle would hold the most consistant speed, on any incline, downshifting only once on any length or grade of incline, never hunting between gears like my Toyota's both do. And when it did downshift, you wouldn't feel it, you would just see the tach make a jump. It was a real work of engineering art.

Toyota's cruise control system sucks by comparison. To maintain any level of smoothness while driving through moderately hilly terrain, I found myself moderating the throttle as I start up small inclines to keep the cruise from jumping down a gear (which it does with no grace whatsoever).
My sentiments exactly. The last thing I would want to do is have this thing on cruise and hit some standing water during a downpour. A buddy of mine did this in his Durango and all heck broke loose.

The cruise sensed a slowdown because of the drag of the water and it slammed the throttle down to compensate. The next thing he knew he was going sideways off the road at 70 mph with the cruise still trying to accelerate to the pre-set speed.

It took less than a second for everything to go catty-wompus, he spun around several times and finally came to rest right side up with his and his wife's pants full. Luckily he didn't roll and there were no ditches or other obstructions on the side to get in the way of his 70 mph side slide.

They were so freaked out they had to get a motel for the night and restart the next morning.

Needless to say I don't use the cruise during the rain anymore.

JMHO

Dan

·
Registered
612 Posts
You should never use cruise control in the rain. Once, driving my Camry throught Kansas on the Interstate, I came over a hill and saw cars and tow trucks everywhere. There was a small river of water going over the Interstate. I plowed through the water and when I hit dryer pavement, I heard a loud bang. The wheels were spinning too fast. Later I found out I blew out my transmission. You could see a chunk missing in the differential. I sold the Camry as is. The cost to repair was more than what it was worth.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The cruise control in the 2005 Tundra does suck. I think it was redesigned in 2006. Mine is real sensitive to even the slight incline. Everytime I go up an incline it downshifts and my wife nags me for trying to hot rod. I have gotten to the point that I do not use it.

In my opinion Toyota should fix this issue with the 2005 models but I have not gotten there yet to ask them to.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My V8 Tundra's cruise control works perfectly. Your truck should respond to you pushing on the accelerator with your cruise on.

Yep, its the same with my 2006 Tundra.... I love cruise control!

·
Registered
933 Posts
My cruise works perfectly and smoothly as well. In fact, I have found that this and my other Toyota cars/trucks I have owned in the past have some of the smoothest operating cruise controls.

This may seem strange, but I am often FORCED to use it, because I think I have something going on with the throttle on my truck. When I am heading home, I have to go down a slight grade, about a mile long..... if I release the accelerator all the way, it will begin to slow down to much, but if I ever so slightly press it again, the truck speeds up to much beyond the speed I want to go. :rolleyes: However, if I set the CRUISE, it holds steady. I am assuming my throttle body needs cleaned or something. :confused: This is never an issue anywhere else.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Use the Cruise Control every where. It works great on my 06 DC, wouldn't be without it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts