Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
No job too small.
2,206 Posts
I have the surge-on-every-incline issue with my 06 AC. Our 03 Matrix's cruise behaves much better on hills. The Avalon is supposed to have a "laser" system, whatever that means. I use the cruise control every chance I get despite the surges, but almost never in snow or on ice. It's good to get the rain reminder. I sort of remember the stuff: wet, right? I agree that cruise works wonders in speed traps, or with a police car following. They make me nervous.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Mine works great. I use it all the time with no problems.

·
Registered
223 Posts
In hills or driving into high wind I disengage the overdrive and then have no problem with the cruise on my '04 4x4 DC. Otherwise, I have the same problem. I still wouldn't be without cruise. It's a must on the long stretches out on I-10 in west Texas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So it appears there wasn't a solution ever discovered to the asinine design of the Tundra cruise control. Constant downshifting and hard accelerating to maintain 1 mph is ridiculous. It does nothing but wear out the motor and transmission. There must be a way to modify the cruise control.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I used the cruise when I bought the truck and made the 900+ mile drive home (way back when), but not since.
I don't get the truck out much but when I do drive it to work I'm enjoying it too much to just set the cruise and lean back. So much more power than my daily...

·
Registered
522 Posts
The cruise control on my 2003, 2000, 2002, and 2006 Tundras were all the same heap of garbage. Work great on flat ground, but anywhere with inclines it allows the speed to drop well below the target, then it FLOORS IT to catch up, and when it does it allws the speed to go PAST the target (so if I set it at 60, it will go to 56, the floor it back up to 64, and then let it drift back down past 60 to 56, and start all over again).

It's fckn terrifying especially in the mountains.

My 2004 Sienna has the SAME GARBAGE algorithm.

My GFs 2008 Prius however, seems to have good cruise control. It doesn't surge like that at all.

My 2015 Ford Transit van - awesome cruise control. Awesome awesome awesome. It holds the target exactly. Everything else sucks, but Ford got that one part right :) (well, having 400 ft.lb of torque and 310 horsepower is also right)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yup, on my 2004 it is pretty useless except on flat ground. Otherwise it is constant downshifting. I wonder how it works on the V6 manual (was it even an option?)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Missing the point. It's by design that the engine down shifts. The top two gears are over drive gears and will down shift to the most efficient gear.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Sounds like my new window AC that constantly cycles on/off within 1 degree unlike my 10 year old one that would overshoot by a few degrees to cycle less often.

I'm used to only using it on flat or small degree inclines/descents. I've never had a vehicle that worked well in hilly terrain for cruise control and would only consider it a bonus if it did.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Missing the point. It's by design that the engine down shifts. The top two gears are over drive gears and will down shift to the most efficient gear.
When I use my human cruise control is doesn't usually downshift which saves wear and tear on the drivetrain. I am able to let is undershoot by 3 mph or so without trying to cram the gas down to keep it at the set point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2000 down shifts just fine. But when I'm going say 65 or over it doesn't want to up shift back to OD. Even on flat or slightly down hill and when it does it slams into OD. Any programing fix for this or tranny problem?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts