Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very pleased with my new 2007 Tundra DC Limited. Like many other forum users there are a number of little things that irked me so I recently made some simple mods and decided to share the results.

Mod # 1 - Installed an LED light inside the center console
Cost: $6
Time: 60 minutes
Description:
The center console is big and all-black so it is hard to see anything inside of it at night unless you turn on the overhead lights which can be very distracting while driving. To solve this problem I purchased an amber LED light from Walmart's auto parts section. It is about 1" high x 2" wide x 3/4" deep and is designed to be mounted on the outside of a truck or trailer. It has 3 very bright amber LEDs inside so no need to worry about heat, current draw, or bulbs burning out. I simply soldered thin 20-gauge red and black wires to the power leads on the back and attached some 3M accesory tape to the base. Then I removed the front drink-holder portion of the center console and drilled a small hole inside the console about 1" below the accessory outlet. I pushed the wires through the hole and mounted the light with the 3M tape, then connected the power wires to the molex connector which is already there to provide power to the small amber LED which shines on the cup holders. The blue wire in the molex connector is ground or -12V DC and the orange wire is +12V DC when you have the running lights or headlights switched on. The results are great. The color matches the factory amber lights perfectly and it comes on / off with the other interior lights so it looks and works like a factory option. The LEDs are very bright so they light up the whole interior. Notice in some of the photos that I have inserted 3 tackle boxes which were only $3.50 each at Walmart in the sporting goods section. These are perfect for holding tools, meds, cleaning stuff, etc. while allowing easy access and preventing clutter. Below is a sample pic, click this link to see all the photos.

Mod # 2 - Installed a Delphi XM RoadyXT receiver in lieu of the factory XM option
Mod # 3 - Installed a Chrome / Carbon Fiber shift knob in lieu of the factory plastic or TRD knobs
Cost: $40 for # 2, $15 for # 3
Time: 2 hours
Description:
I liked the idea of getting the factory XM unit since I already have the NAV installed but I refuse to pay $300+ for XM when I can get a very good receiver for $40 and I already had one sitting around the house anyway. Plus I like the added features and portability of the RoadyXT and this option allows me to easily upgrade the receiver later. I simply mounted the XM receiver next to the TOW/HAUL switch where there were two empty switch bays that were not in use anyway. I drilled 2 small holes in the blank switch plates to mount the receiver base then drilled a third hole in the middle switch plate to run the power and antenna wires into the dash. The area under the front drink holders contains ample storage space for the DC adapter and there is already a 12V source in there so I just wired in another accesory outlet under there and plugged the DC adapter into it. This will allow me to switch the XM units at any time without modifying the wiring later. The easiest place to mount the antenna is on the far right side of the dash up in the corner just under the windshield. I ran the antenna wire through the center console area, behind the glove box, and up through the opening where the dash meets the vertical support. This was an easy run and removing the glove box only took a few minutes. Notice in the photos that I have also replaced the crappy factory shift knob with a chrome metal / carbon fiber knob which was only $15 at Walmart. It looks and feels great and is a better match than the TRD shift knob IMHO. Below is a sample pic, click this link to see all the photos.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Upgrades look great, I will definitely be added a light into the compartment as you did and definitely replacing the shift knob. Thanks for sharing.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks good. i dont like the knob, but hey its your truck :)
Yeah, it isn't the best shift knob on the market but I think it looks better than the big ugly cheap plastic shifter which came from the factory. I briefly considered the TRD upgrade but after seeing some actual photos of the install I decided against it. It had a wide T top and square chunky shaft which made it look like a spaceship or something. I also checked numerous websites and about a dozen local auto-parts stores but the Walmart shifter had them all beat IMHO. This is obviously something unique to each driver which is why there are so many options out there. Does anyone else have a pic of a cool shift knob installed?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yeah, it isn't the best shift knob on the market but I think it looks better than the big ugly cheap plastic shifter which came from the factory. I briefly considered the TRD upgrade but after seeing some actual photos of the install I decided against it. It had a wide T top and square chunky shaft which made it look like a spaceship or something. I also checked numerous websites and about a dozen local auto-parts stores but the Walmart shifter had them all beat IMHO. This is obviously something unique to each driver which is why there are so many options out there. Does anyone else have a pic of a cool shift knob installed?
what is the removal procedure of it?

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what is the removal procedure of it?
LOL - guess you don't like it either. Do you have a pic of a better shifter? I may replace it again down the road when I find a better knob, but for now I just couldn't bear to keep that big ugly cheap plastic factory club on the truck. In fact I actually drove the truck for a few days without any knob at all - that's how bad I hated the factory part. ;)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
LOL - guess you don't like it either. Do you have a pic of a better shifter? I may replace it again down the road when I find a better knob, but for now I just couldn't bare to keep that big ugly cheap plastic factory club on the truck. In fact I actually drove the truck for a few days without any knob at all - that's how bad I hated the factory part. ;)
no i dont like it at all... but i need to know what the shaft looks like before i buy one..

so how do i take it off man!! LOL

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so how do i take it off man!! LOL
Well the knob removal process is pretty complex and you can damage your transmission if not done properly. There is a book about this somewhere but here is a quick summary:
  1. Sit in driver seat.
  2. Grasp big ugly cheap plastic factory shift knob with your strong hand.
  3. Turn the big ugly cheap plastic factory shift knob counter-clockwise.
  4. Continue turning until the big ugly cheap plastic factory shift knob comes loose.
  5. Throw the big ugly cheap plastic factory shift knob in the trash after burning it to protect innocent Ford and Chevy owners from picking it out of your trash... :devil:
Seriously, though, the top 1.5 or 2.0 inches of the shaft is threaded. I don't know what the shaft diameter or thread size is but I am pretty sure it is metric, probably something like 14mm with # 10 threads but I am sure someone here will know the exact size. The new knob from Walmart included 4 black plastic spacers which slipped down over the threads, and the next to smallest spacer fit the Tundra shaft.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Does that shifter come with this type of accelerator pedal? ;)

Hey, to each his own OK? :tu: That shifter is pretty interesting. ' reminds me of a brain on a stem. I think I saw Samuel L. Jackson use that in the "Unbreakable" movie.

Seriously, though, I'm not a fan of the Star Trek console shifter either. I'm not sure how you are supposed to grab it like a flight simulator joystick when it's that low. I would consider replacing it with a shorter shifter so it would get out of the way of XM control.

Perhaps something like this:

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does that shifter come with this type of accelerator pedal? ;)

LOL! Those feet pedals are too much. As bad as my current $15 shift knob is, it is really a sad statement that it is the best shift knob I could find after checking all the local auto parts stores and several sources on the web. It is also interesting to note that several of the specialty stores sold the same shifter as Walmart, but they wanted $30 or more for it so I gave old Sam my cash. I don't like the shift knobs which look like other objects: skulls, women, aliens, beer taps, etc. I also don't want a shift knob which is too big, tall, or deep from front to back. It has to be all metal, preferably with silver and black to match the dash color scheme, and I like how the metal feels cooler in the summer but the leather / carbon fiber top feels warmer in the winter. Surely there has to be some cool knobs out there somewhere... maybe that was why Toyota went with the lame factory crud - couldn't find anything better... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Let me get this straight. The freakin' ugly thing just unscrews??? After a month and a half ... I'm afraid I'm gettin used to it ..... AAAAAH!!!!

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let me get this straight. The freakin' ugly thing just unscrews??? After a month and a half ... I'm afraid I'm gettin used to it ..... AAAAAH!!!!
If you or anyone else on this forum like the factory shift knob then I have the perfect deal for you: I will sell you a spare just in case yours is damaged or stolen. Product is as-new and only used for about a week before I unscrewed it out of sheer frustration while waiting at a red light... your price only $15 + S/H to pay for my new Walmart special knob until I can find something better... :cool:

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about a black egg? :D

Seriously, I think I'm going to put one of these on just to mess with people:

Believe it or not, I seriously considered buying several knobs that were similar to this one. In the end I decided not to get them though because the Tundra shift lever is so long that they would look very odd sitting up on top, sort of like an inverted exclammation point or a long thin drink-stirrer with a maracino cherrie on top... :)

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just found these knobs which may be promising if they are made of aluminum or black chrome. Only problem is that they would be cold in the winter...

LG Motorsports

This one looks decent also, and has a wood-style insert so it won't be cold...:

CarBeyondStore.com

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
My understanding is that ALL shift knobs unscrew, so replacement isn't a big deal, but as mentioned before one needs to be careful to ensure that the threading is properly matched. I gotta think that there are plenty of available options in the market that can be used. I think that you need to find one that has the threads recessed deep into the design otherwise it looks too long and unnatural. Too bad it didn't come with a type of "Hummer" shift knob like the ones used for airplanes with the handle secured on both sides instead of the middle! ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow, it sounds like I'm the only one on here that likes the factory shift knob. :confused: I like the last 2 that you posted but they look like they'd go better with a sporty vehicle than a big bad-*** truck like the Tundra. Good job on the LED light, looks great. :tu:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts