Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tackled the grill mod today. Would have liked to redo the bottom bar but instead I just made it a touch smaller. Still took quite a while. Not the quickest mod I've taken on.

First a rough cut out of the top bar.

I then cleaned up the cuts, As well as took out a bit over an inch I think out of the height of the bottom bar. Just enough so that the latch would still bolt onto it. This also cut down on the filling of where the Toyota emblem used to be. Also I took the top bar, and cut out a chunk to fill in the emblem hole. The top piece of the top bar was cut off to be used on the top of the bottom bar. It will make the grill sit in a bit deeper then the original top would have.

Here I have started to plastic weld on the new piece to the top of the bottom bar. Also welded up the holes for the plastic chrome piece that used to be on there.

The old top piece showing how much height I took out of the bar.

Showing the depth gained from the new top compared to the original.

I used the bottom flat section of the top bar to make fill in pieces for the sides where the bar was cut out. After everything was back to one piece this is what was left of the top bar.

And some finishing touches. Well actually its not finished, just has black paint over the body filler. Still needs to be prepped and painted properly.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Great mod :tu: it looks great with your black hood and headlights

·
Registered
65 Posts
That does look real nice, just my two cents though, if you black out that white of your radiator support you can see through the grill that'll totally murder out your grill.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Good job! Rat Fink points sent! I'm diggin the pin stripes on the hood. Looks solid. I think once I get a few other mods out of the way, I might get into something like that. :tu:

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Nice job! You sure are creative with your mods!:tu:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Looks just like the Darrel Waltrip grille, very nice! Just an FYI For those who don't want to build one, I think you can still buy them on trdparts4u.com color matched with a stainless insert.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hey, if you have the means and the know how...go for it. I wish I could!! Mine wouldn't turn out that nice...LOL

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
You should write up a more detailed "DIY" for this mode.

Points.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should write up a more detailed "DIY" for this mode.

Points.
Anything in particular your lookin to get answers from? The side holes I cut out pieces from the top bar to fill them in. then plastic welded them into place filling the large hole in the side of the grille. After everthing was welded in. I skimed it all with body filler and sanded smooth. Thats about all I took pictures of but feel free to ask questions.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Anything in particular your lookin to get answers from? The side holes I cut out pieces from the top bar to fill them in. then plastic welded them into place filling the large hole in the side of the grille. After everthing was welded in. I skimed it all with body filler and sanded smooth. Thats about all I took pictures of but feel free to ask questions.
Not really. I have the early (chrome bumper) 1-gen so your grill mod doesn't really apply to me. Besides, I already have an Ivan Stewart/TRD grill. :D

I just think you did a terrific job. :tu:

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I have the opportunity to actually view this grill in person, but there is a really mean chick in his front office I am scared of. :lol:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the opportunity to actually view this grill in person, but there is a really mean chick in his front office I am scared of. :lol:
Your hilarious. ;) And she's usually only there to do payroll.

If your ever in the city on the weekend give me a shout.

That does look real nice, just my two cents though, if you black out that white of your radiator support you can see through the grill that'll totally murder out your grill.
I had to paint our light post in the front yard so while holding onto the can of semi gloss black spraypaint, I took your advice. Painted behind it black.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice job; definitely sets your truck apart.

Did I miss what you used for the mesh insert? I know Home Depot sells wire mesh used for stucco - I used that a long time ago when I made a mesh grille for my Integra. How did you attach the mesh to the grille frame and what did you paint the mesh with?

Probably a lot cheaper than buying the TRD grille.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts