Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm considering cutting my stock exhaust off. It's a sore sight and I have flared fenders on the rear (I offroad a lot) and the exhaust is nothing but a sore thumb sticking out. Obviously I need to cut it off prior to the o2 sensor or whatever it's called but does anyone have any recomendations? I don't care if it's too loud or not loud enough, although I do have a k&n intake and when I asked about exhaust a long time ago people said beware of the "drone noise" will that come up if I cut it off?

If so does anyone have any good ideas for me? I'll post pictures later I'm just curious as of right now, thanks!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
IMO, it would be annoying as hell if you cut it off at the resonator. I would dump it over the axle, or at least behind the muffler.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you are looking for a performance exhaust, I'd run DOSS exhaust, which run the exhaust pipe out from underneath the side of the truck. Most do it near the beginning of the bed. Its true duals with cats and mufflers, no resonators. Dump sounds horrendous, don't consider that. You could cut it after the resonator, but you'd probaly still see that bulky eyesore of a resonator Toyota put on. I'd cut before the resonator if I was looking to improve/eliminate appearance

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO, it would be annoying as hell if you cut it off at the resonator. I would dump it over the axle, or at least behind the muffler.
Yeah I hear that.. So you think right before the muffler around the axle? Have any of you done this with an intake? I just want to avoid that drone noise..

Also have any of you seen or heard of a set up that exits prior to the rear tire under the passnger fender? I used to have one on my old f150 that was flow master but I can seem to find one for this truck.. If I could I'd cut a hole in the lower portion of the glass fender and put in a metal piece around the fiberglass so it wouldn't melt it and have the pipe come thru that.. I saw it in a magazine once but nvr on a tundra..

How would you do this with the way the frame is set up? Do you think it'd do damage to the glass and rear tire heat wise? Just thinkn out loud.. Anyone think this is possible?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are looking for a performance exhaust, I'd run DOSS exhaust, which run the exhaust pipe out from underneath the side of the truck. Most do it near the beginning of the bed. Its true duals with cats and mufflers, no resonators. Dump sounds horrendous, don't consider that. You could cut it after the resonator, but you'd probaly still see that bulky eyesore of a resonator Toyota put on. I'd cut before the resonator if I was looking to improve/eliminate appearance
How much does that doss run for? Is it similar to what I was talking about in my other post? Exits the sides of the truck prior to the rear wheel? You said it was dual? Would you lose backpressure with it?

If not doss your saying prior to the resonator? I you saw what I'm looking at you'd think anything is better than nothing.. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm interested in the doss if it's not too $$..

I'd either want something like what I was talking about in my other post or nothing showing at all, Im not a fan of the straight tubes or chrome tip eye sores that I see all the time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yep, DOSS is dual exhaust coming out in front of your rear tires. Go to a couple muffler shops and ask for prices because it is a little expensive. You have to buy an additional muffler to run the driver side piping. Most people but the twin exhaust ports for tips, but you can make this system look pretty inconspicuous. If you are replacing one muffler, you'd probably want to do both. I'd put in two flowmasters (because I am; going from true dual straights to true dual's w/flowmasters to appease cops). At the place I see in Northwest Louisiana, muffler install is $60 ($30/weld). For your system, you'd likely have to get two mufflers ($165 for Flowmaster super 40s) and then another $120 for muffler installs, then about $100 for new piping. They wouldn't have to run much piping at all.. SHOULDNT be too expensive. I guess thats almost $440 with tips, new exhaust system, and mufflers. With this, you'd hear some drone from your exhaust and a little bite from the engine when you stomp on it. It's a little expensive but unique and sounds very nice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ya Flowmaster doesn't make a full on DOSS kit for the tundra but you can get one custom made. Just noting from your other post

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I'm getting confused reading this. It sounded like you wanted to get rid of the sight of the tailpipe. Now it sounds like you want to go full custom. If you want to go full custom, I can't help you too much but you should PM ESCONDIDOTUNDRA to talk about exhaust. He makes some quality set ups and his own mufflers.

I have been running a single spintech muffler, with the stock piping attached for a while now. After I added JBA headers I got a slight drone on freeways(highways for those outside of CA). I got curious yesterday and cut off my resonator, to my surprise it got quieter at low rpm and the slight drone is totally gone. There are lots of variable that affect drone. BTW, on my stock tail pipe, I cut off the end just at the 90 where it turns out the side. It still shoots the exhaust outside of my truck, but you cant see the tip and it gave a little clearance. If you don't like seeing the tail pipe, just do that.

In my personal experience, aftermarket CAI runners can promote drone. They make noise out of vibrations that the OEM tube does not.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I'm getting confused reading this. It sounded like you wanted to get rid of the sight of the tailpipe.
That's what I thought, which is the only reason I suggested just dumping it somewhere behind the cab. We must have been confused by statements such as "exhaust is nothing but a sore thumb sticking out" and "don't care if it's too loud or not loud enough".:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you looking for a cheap way unbolt right after the cat and pull the pipe completely out I did it to my truck and it looks sleek and gives a nice loud straight pipe sound it sounded good when it warms up then I put flowmaster super 40s and a turndown mid cab but un bolting is way easier good luck

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I cut mine off right after the axle (pipe pointing down) because I didn't like the appearance. Now it looks nice and clean and the drone from my aftermarket muffler is gone. I can take pics upon request (read: I'm lazy and will only take pics if asked :) )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts