Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be doing the inner cv boot repair soon. The right side is torn, so may as well do both sides. How many of you have used the 930 boot, and I would like your opinion's ? This is the boot I will probably end up using, as I don't see any advantage in replacing with the OEM boot. My truck has 35K + on it and soon after lifting- I had to reclamp the stock boots, now like I said the right inner is torn. Any input here would be greatly appreciated.

930 cv boot

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
DevinSixtySeven said:
yup...didnt catch the link earlier at work. that's them, they work really well.
How hard was the install?

·
Registered
21 Posts
kartek boots

same ones i used and they work great... tried at protrux and they wanted way too much for install...almost as much as toyota dealer!!! went to a mechanic in anaheim and got them installed for $200 both sides not bad considering protrux wanted $500 for both sides and dealer wanted $700. i think trdkeau made protrux realize it was a b!tch to install! :D

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
the install is easy, if you can easily separate the upper control arm from the spindle. if you cant do that easily (ie use a two-jaw pitman puller and a deadblow hammer *on the puller bolt* and *only if necessary*), convince someone else to do it.

if you have uniball uppers, it's a cinch. it's also easier if you dont have manual hubs...since i didnt want to take out the manual hub stake nut, i just took the entire spindle/hub/axle assembly off the truck after i cut off the stock boot and released the inner cv-to-axle snap ring. that also meant i didnt have to push the boot over an entire axle, the small end of the 930 boot is very tight.

to put it back on, just stuff the whole greased mess back in the inner cv joint, youll hear the axle zip through the snap ring--align the cv core with a finger or something first.

it's easy, just messy. cv grease is like boogers, but harder to wipe off.

-sean

*edit* i'll swap anybody's stock boots for 700$ :p...jeezus, that's only about two hours labor, TOPS, probably faster if youve done it before and have a grease gun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah $700 is a rip. even $500... if i had to pay that much i would have done it myself. it's just way too messy and i don't have proper tools and a garage

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ur8igdaddy said:
. i think trdkeau made protrux realize it was a b!tch to install! :D
Correct statement. Jim the owner did them for 150 and I was sitting in the shop for 4 hours. Ive talked to other enthusiasts and they havent run into any problems.

·
Registered
666 Posts
DevinSixtySeven said:
the install is easy, if you can easily separate the upper control arm from the spindle. if you cant do that easily (ie use a two-jaw pitman puller and a deadblow hammer *on the puller bolt* and *only if necessary*), convince someone else to do it.

if you have uniball uppers, it's a cinch. it's also easier if you dont have manual hubs...since i didnt want to take out the manual hub stake nut, i just took the entire spindle/hub/axle assembly off the truck after i cut off the stock boot and released the inner cv-to-axle snap ring. that also meant i didnt have to push the boot over an entire axle, the small end of the 930 boot is very tight.

to put it back on, just stuff the whole greased mess back in the inner cv joint, youll hear the axle zip through the snap ring--align the cv core with a finger or something first.

it's easy, just messy. cv grease is like boogers, but harder to wipe off.

-sean

*edit* i'll swap anybody's stock boots for 700$ :p...jeezus, that's only about two hours labor, TOPS, probably faster if youve done it before and have a grease gun.
Hmmm...I don't remember having to diconnect the upper control arm from the spindle when I did mine...but it's been almost 2 years. I actually think we just disconnected the lower control arm from the spindle by removing the 4 bolts underneath. Man...now you got me thinking...am I loosing my mind...? I really don't remember disconnecting the upper control arm from the spindle.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
you dont have to separate the upper, but it's easier to get the spindle outta the way by just taking the whole thing off the truck. but, no, you dont need to...you can just take the nut off, pull the spindle outta the way, trim the old boot off, release the snap ring, and pull out the axle w/outer cv attached, i think...

-s

·
Registered
49 Posts
A local mechanic here in San Diego did both my boots for 89.00. I just had to supply the 930 bates boots, took them a little over an hour.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
What's more worth it, getting new boots now if I can find cheap labor or waiting till my boots actually crack or whatever to get new ones? I'm really thinking about these Bates boots, cause I really don't like dealing with new problems. I'd like to not even run the risk to begin with. Whatever happened to those Mecatech high angle CV boots from Wheelers. I don't see them there anymore...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think it all depends on how high your lift is , how long you've had the lift on, and how hard you drive. My oem boots split approximately 8 months after my lift, and once they split I ended up getting grease all over the place. Then you start worrying about how long you were running the car with the torn boot and if it caused any damage to the joint. I say save yourself the headache, cleanup, and worries and replace the boots as preventative maintanence. The 930 boots seem like they'll last for a long time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
eapthien said:
I think it all depends on how high your lift is , how long you've had the lift on, and how hard you drive. My oem boots split approximately 8 months after my lift, and once they split I ended up getting grease all over the place. Then you start worrying about how long you were running the car with the torn boot and if it caused any damage to the joint. I say save yourself the headache, cleanup, and worries and replace the boots as preventative maintanence. The 930 boots seem like they'll last for a long time.
How high was your lift? And when you said 'how hard you drive', do you mean how much you drive offroad?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My new 930 boots should be setting on my doorstep when I get home. I'll post the part# for you guys. I checked into it and there is another source for the 930 boot,I mean other than Bates as a manufacturer. I bought mine from an Off Road Shop in Reno NV (Fibercraft). I used the same brand boot on my off road race car. Hey- rubber is rubber. I think the design of the 930 boot is what makes it desirable. I paid less than $20 each for mine. I'll get the part # up here, as soon as I can.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts