Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
My lifts at 2.5" and I'd probably be better off at 2 or 2.25". And when I said "how hard you drive," I meant offroad and frequency.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The part # on the boots is 86-9306-0 theyr'e marketed by a company called Mr. Bug. If you were interested, find a place that sells air cooled VW performance parts. I paid $15 each and almost $8 to have them shipped. So for less than $40 I'm ready to fix those not so desirable oem boots. :tu:

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
15 each + 8$, thats a great price...the boots are almost 1/2price what i paid for mine (but shipping was negligable at the time).

those look...shinier...than the ones i have. mine look like plumbing parts, kinda powdery almost...reminded me more of something i'd stick on the end of a dowel and use to fix a clogged toilet :p.

-sean

*edit* great pic. the 930 boots actually come all the way up & over the inner joint, to the left of the gold-colored part. when flexed, none of the baffles touch each other, nor do they rub on the halfshaft.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
eapthien said:
I think it all depends on how high your lift is , how long you've had the lift on, and how hard you drive. My oem boots split approximately 8 months after my lift, and once they split I ended up getting grease all over the place. Then you start worrying about how long you were running the car with the torn boot and if it caused any damage to the joint. I say save yourself the headache, cleanup, and worries and replace the boots as preventative maintanence. The 930 boots seem like they'll last for a long time.

still there are some members with torn boots at 1.75"

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
CV Boot Replacement

Just finished installing my new Kartek 930 CV boots, they are substantially beefier than the little weak stock boots. Just follow DevinSixtySeven's install instructions and it is a pretty easy (and really, really messy) job. I was going to wait until my stock boots cracked, but I am lifted 2-1/2" so I am glad I went on and did it. If anyone is performing this themselves, feel free to PM me with questions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
jjc said:
Just finished installing my new Kartek 930 CV boots, they are substantially beefier than the little weak stock boots. Just follow DevinSixtySeven's install instructions and it is a pretty easy (and really, really messy) job. I was going to wait until my stock boots cracked, but I am lifted 2-1/2" so I am glad I went on and did it. If anyone is performing this themselves, feel free to PM me with questions.

I did the 930 boot mod today. 2 hr. to do the left, and 1 3/4 to do the right. I went ahead and pulled the axle assy's out to r/r the boot. Not a big deal, actually went much smoother than I anticipated. The difference in the OEM and the 930 is overwhelming. I'm fairly confident this fix won't have to be done again. Pretty cool mod, for less than $40 plus my labor. There are some pic's below for reference :D

Torn inner OEM boot

OEM vs. 930 Porsche

Inside look

Ready for installation

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
DevinSixtySeven said:
how'd your inner cv removal go? i wanged mine pretty good with a block and a hammer, they didnt budge, so i just left the inner cv on the truck and separated the halfshaft via the snap ring.

-s
You know, I read all I could regarding this repair. Read the factory manual, Clymer and every post in this forum that had anything to do with r/r of the halfshaft. The side I started with, was the right. Figured if it were a PITA, I'd just do the one side that was torn. When I got everything out of the way, I pulled straight out on the axle. And it popped right out. The left needed a little more convincing, but still didn't have to use a puller or hammer and block. Also I know there has beem some concern about fluid loss, when the inner is removed. I stuck one of those micro fiber paper towels in the hole as soon as I removed the axle. Fluid loss was very minimal. Also, when re-installing after youv'e got that new boot on. A rubber mallet, or one of those dead blow soft mallet's - work's really well. Get the inner shaft started in the hole, then get the shaft and cv joints lined up. Give the outer CV a light rap, the axle will pop right back in. If it doesn't, don't bang away at it. Pull it back out and rotate it just a bit. When the splines line up it will go right in, with very minimal force.

For anyone that is thinking about doing this, I hope this help's. If you have the resources, there is no reason to pay a repair facility to do something you can do yourself. :D And when your'e done, you'll feel real good about it.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
vorra65,

Great pics. What type of cv clamps did you use? What special tools are needed to install the clamps?

I ordered a set of 930 boot, but the didn't come with the clamps. I guess I'll just go down to the auto parts store for some generic ones.

Any advice would be appreciated.

leadsled

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
leadsled said:
vorra65,

Great pics. What type of cv clamps did you use? What special tools are needed to install the clamps?

I ordered a set of 930 boot, but the didn't come with the clamps. I guess I'll just go down to the auto parts store for some generic ones.

Any advice would be appreciated.

leadsled
Yeah, you can use the regular hoseclamp's. I actually used the pinch on OEM style, and went double on the big end and single on the small . You have to use a special pair of pliers, but they seem to work well. Ask the guy's down at the parts store to see their cv boot clamp asst. The kit I used is like the one the shop's use. Since there's no way they could stock all the exact clamps, they make a uni-fit kit that comes with the big and small end pieces and a roll of the banding. Follow the destructions, and it turns out real nice.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,613 Posts
Well I've got grease spit'n now so I just got done ordering a set of the Karkek 930 CV boots. They look like they've got a ton of room to flex. I don't plan on going over 2.5" on lift, but how large a lift would these take before being overextended to the point where they might split?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where to buy?

Hey, guys. I'm brand new here. Great site! Just wondering where the best place to order some CV boots would be. thanks

Christian
2000 TRD, Off-road Victim, Current progress: Bodywork

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
imjin said:
Well I've got grease spit'n now so I just got done ordering a set of the Karkek 930 CV boots. They look like they've got a ton of room to flex. I don't plan on going over 2.5" on lift, but how large a lift would these take before being overextended to the point where they might split?
im at 4" and theyre doing fine.

...tho i do have manual hubs. ill look this week, i did some rough stuff with/to the truck last week, if they were gonna split it woulda been then.

-sean

21 - 40 of 52 Posts