Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yellbird said:
Are the 930's for the inner or outer?

Been awhile since this was brought up. :)

I'm pretty sure you can use the 930 boot at both ends of the drive axles.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Thanks for your reply but now I am really fouled up. I had a leak from right inner so I took it to toyota and they told me it was torn (this was on the phone ). After he quoted me $329.00 to replace it, I told him to forget it.

I then ordered the 930's and took it to a shop in a nearby town who took off both sides (figure do it now) and he then took them to a axle guy who installs the boots, that guy just called and said their was nothing wrong with the boots but the clamp was loose. he asked me about the 930's and I said I think they would go on the outer but he thought they would be to big for the hub. I just said replace all the clamps on all the boots I will keep the 930's for later.
Hope I didn't buy them for nothing.

So the axles were removed for no reason as I could have replaced the clamps.
Another Toyota Shop screwup!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yellbird said:
Thanks for your reply but now I am really fouled up. I had a leak from right inner so I took it to toyota and they told me it was torn (this was on the phone ). After he quoted me $329.00 to replace it, I told him to forget it.

I then ordered the 930's and took it to a shop in a nearby town who took off both sides (figure do it now) and he then took them to a axle guy who installs the boots, that guy just called and said their was nothing wrong with the boots but the clamp was loose. he asked me about the 930's and I said I think they would go on the outer but he thought they would be to big for the hub. I just said replace all the clamps on all the boots I will keep the 930's for later.
Hope I didn't buy them for nothing.

So the axles were removed for no reason as I could have replaced the clamps.
Another Toyota Shop screwup!

Feel for ya..........
Yeah, if a guy at a reapir shop looks at the 930 boot and then looks at the yota drive shaft-he's gonna go "HUH?" The 930 boot fits up on the flange beyond where the yota boot goes. That's too bad, they couldn't have done the 930's while they had the shaft's out. Oh well, eventually -hopefully a long time for you.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
No not yet.. I didnt want to get everyone excited but here goes.. Ok I spoke with a good friend of mine in CA who has his own performance shop in which he deals with porches and majority are 911/930's. After reading this thread I asked him about the 930 boots and he does not use the "stock rippled" style 930 boots.. He uses what he calls a smooth boot which doesnt have the "ripples" on all of the cars he works on due to the fact that they are mostly Porche owners club cars and race cars which are subjected to heavy racing and high horsepower. These smooth boots are used on 6 digit lemans cars and according to him are superior to the stock 930 boot. With all of this said, I will be visiting him in May and will take a look at the boots and compare them to a stock 930 boot. If all is the same as far as end sizes I will pick up a few and try the install myself. I have asked him for any pictures but hes a one man shop and is way to busy so I didnt want to bother him. Anyhow as soon as I see um I will start a new thread to let everyone know. I dont have a cost at this point either but I assume the parts are expensive not only because they are porche stuff but aftermarket racing equipment. I will let you know on that too...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
nakatsuj said:
No not yet.. I didnt want to get everyone excited but here goes.. Ok I spoke with a good friend of mine in CA who has his own performance shop in which he deals with porches and majority are 911/930's. After reading this thread I asked him about the 930 boots and he does not use the "stock rippled" style 930 boots.. He uses what he calls a smooth boot which doesnt have the "ripples" on all of the cars he works on due to the fact that they are mostly Porche owners club cars and race cars which are subjected to heavy racing and high horsepower. These smooth boots are used on 6 digit lemans cars and according to him are superior to the stock 930 boot. With all of this said, I will be visiting him in May and will take a look at the boots and compare them to a stock 930 boot. If all is the same as far as end sizes I will pick up a few and try the install myself. I have asked him for any pictures but hes a one man shop and is way to busy so I didnt want to bother him. Anyhow as soon as I see um I will start a new thread to let everyone know. I dont have a cost at this point either but I assume the parts are expensive not only because they are porche stuff but aftermarket racing equipment. I will let you know on that too...

Sound's interesting, and I'm anxious to hear what you find out. My only concern with a smooth boot would be the lack of articulation, when it comes to wheel travel. In this particular application, we are dealing with two different beasts. The street/race car's won't be seeing any off road-nor do they have the wheel travel that our trucks have. Let us know......

·
Registered
184 Posts
DevinSixtySeven said:
the boots i got from kartek are working great...dunno if thats the 930 boots or not, but theyre sturdy and dont rub themselves when flexed.

-s
YEp- Got mine from KArtek too. The best boot out there period. I should know. My front is cranked up to 7" plus ( ive had it close to 8") I went through boot after boot. I eventually got to the point where I changed my CV Boots at every oil change!!! :eek: yeah right, but seriously, finally got the Kartek boot and not one single problem. :tu:

·
Registered
4 Posts
YEp- Got mine from KArtek too. The best boot out there period. I should know. My front is cranked up to 7" plus ( ive had it close to 8") I went through boot after boot. I eventually got to the point where I changed my CV Boots at every oil change!!! :eek: yeah right, but seriously, finally got the Kartek boot and not one single problem. :tu:
Hey Leathernuts, this is first time on the forum and was reading through this thread cuz I am having the same problem with my boots splitting. I was wondering which model you used, the “genuine bates” or the “EMPI bates?” Thank you

41 - 52 of 52 Posts