Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post, although I have been using many of the threads to help me with my research. Lots of good stuff on here, but even with all the advice, I have a problem. I have an 05' Tundra 4WD Limited Double Cab. I wanted to level it out a bit and ended up getting a Tuff Country Kit thats got 2.5" spacer/preload spacer assembly in the front and a 1.5" aluminum block that goes in the rear. It required a strut compressor to install so I took it to a shop that I heard was reputable for the install. I also purchased some new wheels - (American Racing Chamber Teflons) and some new Tires (Nitto Terra Grapplers 285-70-17's) to round out the package. The finished product looked great (will get pics up soon), BUT....

Driver side CV boot was spitting grease pretty bad and the ride quality was not at all what I had hoped for. My questions to the group (after reading every post on this I could find) are:

1. Should I replace the half axle and CV assembly and hope that the problem doesn't reoccur?

2. Should I expect the passenger side boot to go any day now?

3. If I strip off the kit and go with something like a Bilstein coilover kit which alot of people really seem to like, does this really alleviate the problem? It seems to me (and I am far from an expert), that the problem is created by the axle pinch on the CV joint created by the lift.

I'm bleeding $$$ at this point. Does anyone think the shop may be liable for any of the repairs for this? They are trying to say that the boots were old (60K miles) and probably would need to be replaced soon anyway.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Unfortunately this is not the shops fault. It is a common problem when lifting these trucks. A diff drop may help, lowering the front diff to reduce the angle the cv operates, also putting heavy duty hose clamps on the cv boot or replacing with larger (porsche 930 boots have been used) boots. i put a small 1.25" spacer on mine and had grease slinging out as well. i went the clamp route and haven't had any problems. as for the ride, youve put extra pressure on the factory coil probably making a stiffer ride. The new coilovers with replacement coils will ride better but still require diff drop or new boots or both.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't mention that there they did install in differential drop that was included with the kit so I guess it didn't help too much. Thanks for the reply though. Still leaning towards the coilovers. Thanks for the hose clamp idea.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I installed my coilovers about two weeks ago inline with the recommendations of those on this site and I'm so glad i did so. The ride is awesome! The biggest thing I like is that I can adjust my height to what I want and not stuck with what ever the spacers allow like with most kits. One thing I’ve learned over the years is cheaper is usually not better.

·
Registered
919 Posts
DH could not have said it better, when it comes to suspension cheaper is never better. I suggest co's, diffdrop, cv clamps & 930 boots on the inners while your in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts