Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please! I am showing a cylinder 4 and 7 misfire and need to know exactly where they are located on a 2001 Tundra engine. I am replacing my plugs(going back with denso plugs) and want to also replace the ignition coils for those two cylinders. Any help would be great!:ts:

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Moved to the Gen-1 forum. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
according to Haynes manual they go like this

8____7
6____5
4____3
2____1

|
|
\/
front of engine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help! I also have the unichip ECU piggyback module installed on my truck, and I have been running regular gas instead of premium. Would that possible be a contributing factor to a misfire?

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
If its stops misfiring with premium i'd say yes, but really shouldn't if compression (some fancy engine mods) and timing changed. Don't count on me as i'm no superfly, just from my general knowledge. Could be plugs, bad coil (had that), bad gas.... and more things

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd take a look at your coil pack plug boots. I recently had a misfire on #8, and moved the coil pack to cyl #6 to test if the misfire changed. It did. The robber/silicone (whatever) boot on that particular coil was split as if someone chopped it down the center with an axe, apparently grounding out itself on the head.

$97 later, she was back to her old 240K mile self!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just pull the Coils and check the continuity with an Ohm Meter. Very easy to find problem coil. It might just be one bad coil giving you the problem. I found NAPA to have the best price on the coils. Denso $75.00 approx.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts