Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have had an ongoing nuisance with my check engine light sporatically popping up on my dash. I originally got the cylinder #6 mis-fire light many months ago... i moved the coil pack, and no difference... i've changed the fuel injector because it looked like it was leaking while engine was off, still no luck.(while i hanged the injector, i cleaned the throttle body). i even changed the ECT sensor! seemed to work for two days but alas, the light came back on.

The engine symptom is this... This light used to only flash during initial starting of engine.. the rpm would float up and down a range of 2-300 rpm for about 10 seconds, then it would smooth out and i'd be good to go. This happens about 60% of the time, other 40% it starts fine. Just today, the engine sputtered slightly while i was driving, and the check light was flashing. it seems to be getting worse slowly but surely.... i need your help!!

another side note.. about every time i fully fill up the gas tank, after it shows its completely full, the gauge would drop to completely empty for about 5-10 minutes and then creep back to normal. would this be related to whats going on? or something totally different?

i changed my spark plugs about a month before all this started happening, so i'd say the plugs(which are manufacturer spec plugs) are less than a year old. should i change them all out again since ive done a few of these fix-ups?
Help please!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would move the spark plug to a different cylinder to see if the misfire moves. Not to question you're ability but are you sure you're working on cylinder number six and not cylinder number three, some people get these confused. Also don't drive truck with flashing check engine light it will result in damaged catalytic converter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Move just the spark plug? Yeah I can try that out. I'll move it to the other side. And no offense taken, cylinder #6 is on the driver side, closest to the firewall

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the spark plugs out(cylinder #6 plug was in worse shape than the one i swapped with) and disconnected the battery. I just drove home from work and no check engine light as of yet. I am skeptical though, because it has done this before... been good for a few days and BAM, that damned light shows up again

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey there, headache. The board moved my topic about this to another post on the same forum. Just so you can see more details. But the #6 plus was whiter than the other, but nothing significantly different. My other thread has a picture of the plugs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts