Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got pulled over yesterday for my tinted taillights. the officer tried to say that since i have my headlights taillights windows and windshield tinted my vehicle was unsafe to drive so he had to impound it. upon further argument and three hours later he finally got a call from his sargeant saying that i wasd a waste of time and they had better things to do. i am so pissed i filed a complaint with the state. i cant believe after all that trouble and hassle he just sped away no ticket nothing just a hard explanation to a pissed off boss. well just wanted to share my great monday morning wohooo:ballchain:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok, I am not trying to be a jerk here, but what do you expect when you knowingly modify your vehicle in violation of state and local laws, then get hassled by the police? All of that tint and you are asking to get pulled over. Sorry, but it's the way it is.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
It is theoretically a waste of time, but, it is illegal in many states. If he had not pissed his Sgt off, you probably would have merely rec'd a traffic citation.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome to South Carolina! Let me know when you move and I can fix you up. You can drive pretty much anything you want down here. :-D

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Tinted taillights are not only illegal, but also DANGEROUS. I have had some close moments when f*ckin ricers slam the brakes and you cant see them stopping because either:
1.: altezas or those clear one
2. tint

Now that i'm in the truck i will run one bastard over. And god forbids i rear end on of them i will be the one screaming "oh my head hurts", "my neck if f'up" :D

Do they look better - for some they do, but any mods done to reduce visibility of vehicle lamps brings liability on your arse. You did illegal mods to the vehicle so don't some here whining about it 'cause you were at fault.

BigMoney do you drive that mouse? talk about going green and caring for environment, besides WILL outlast any Tundra even if you use AMSOIL :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
that sucks socalnick i have my tailights lightly tinted and never got pulled over :pray: hey at least your still up 2 grand :D and he didn't give you a ticket. 3 hours is long time but at least it was just a warning with no fix it ticket or a fine

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I never understand why people have dark tinted tails....yeah it looks nice on some cars but its dangerous as hell. Ive had a hard time seeing brakes too on some of those dark tinted tails...and tinting headlights dark is the dumbest thing Ive ever seen.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Tinted taillights are not only illegal, but also DANGEROUS. I have had some close moments when f*ckin ricers slam the brakes and you cant see them stopping because either:
1.: altezas or those clear one
2. tint
Now that i'm in the truck i will run one bastard over. And god forbids i rear end on of them i will be the one screaming "oh my head hurts", "my neck if f'up" :D
Do they look better - for some they do, but any mods done to reduce visibility of vehicle lamps brings liability on your arse. You did illegal mods to the vehicle so don't some here whining about it 'cause you were at fault.
BigMoney do you drive that mouse? talk about going green and caring for environment, besides WILL outlast any Tundra even if you use AMSOIL :D
I agree with what you've said, I think. Tinting brake and headlights is a little too dangerous even for me. The wife tells me I'm blind anyway.

And you RIDE the MOOSE, not drive the mouse. Giddyup!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Welcome to the peoples republic of kalifornia and there obnoxious ways of doing things.

Im in NJ, we have lift laws here that state no more than 4 inches of lift without a cert test. Plenty of people I know are never bothered for it, I had an older F250 that was sitting on 35's and raised 6 inches no cop every bothered me.

Sounds to me like you got a jerk of a cop, but also remember (and ill put it nicely) if you tint your tails to much-enough so an officer can notice then remember that others will notice and may have issues seeing them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i am so pissed i filed a complaint with the state.
Soooo, you break the law and deem it necessary to file a complaint once you get caught??? WTF? Now you have to waist other people's time dealing with your BS complaint just because you're angry. Grow up and get over it! I've lived in SoCal damn near my whole life and it's a well known fact that one can't do certain things to their cars or trucks without getting nailed by the cops. Just man up and deal with it rather than ***** and moan because a CHP was mean to you.

BTW, a lot of times just the most minimal violation can get you pulled over; especially in LA. If a cop wants to see inside your car (thinking you may be somebody he's interested in) having just the slightest violation gives him an open door with probable cause. That's something that always cracks me up with some of these gang banger homie types, they cruise around with tinted windows, modified exhaust, etc. and they're just asking to get pulled over. Good times!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I can sort of understand his resentment, mostly b/c the guy probably was a jerk about it and held him on the side of the road forever. There are plenty of cops who abuse people over petty things..

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, here is some more info for you.
it is going to pi$$ you off,even further.
even if you take off all the un-safe stuff.
your ins. is going to go up, for who many years your state allow's, florida is 3 years.
i know. mine come's off in aug, 2010. dark front drivers & passanger side windows. BY 2%.
it cost me, over 400! lost days of work, waiting on the bso to come & meter the windows, pay them $4 and get a paper, the deputy had to also sign off on my ticket, plus my ins, went up for 3years. unsafe equipment.
it is what it is.
so to you all, remember what you are doing, it can effect you for years.
but for them to do what they did, damm bro.
add what i said, plus the towing, impound, storage, they will not most likely let you drive it, so another tow to a shop, plus to take it all off.
thats why i run on my bike's F-it! by by.
i know your look, it's sweet. like the blue hulk's tundra.
except depending on your local cops, they either let it slide, or hammer you. you got seriously hammered.
maybe we can take up a collection for you.
count me in.
gorilla

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
hi, here is some more info for you... even if you take off all the un-safe stuff. your ins. is going to go up, for who many years your state allow's... it can effect you for years.
Uh, not so Gorilla. A mechanical deficiency/code violation, unless it is proximate to the cause of another infraction or misdemeanor, is just a "fix-it" citation. It is not reported to the DMV for insurance/monitoring purposes, and, only to the extent that it is an internal department record of the meet & greet, it is not maintained under any sort of DL-referenced LE database.

Just thought I'd clarify that info for the CA drivers reading this. :tu:

To the OP: If the incident was exactly like you described, you must have either caught the officer after a major fight with his wife, or you have to look like the last guy who nailed his sister. I know of no LE officer, CHP or otherwise, who would waste three hours of his time on a passenger vehicle equipment stop; it just don't happen.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
A mechanical deficiency/code violation, unless it is proximate to the cause of another infraction or misdemeanor, is just a "fix-it" citation. It is not reported to the DMV for insurance/monitoring purposes, and, only to the extent that it is an internal department record of the meet & greet, it is not maintained under any sort of DL-referenced LE database.
They are kept so that one would see if you had been stopped and cited before for the same issue. They wont affect you actual DL record IFFFFF the item in question has been corrected.

Most states have a simple driving record which shows only convictions (usually 3-7 years) and then there is the COMPLETE record (11-13 yrs?) which shows everything. One wants to avoid any adjudication of guilt.

FL info*

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
yeah, i call BS on 3 hours. I would have (yes WOULD have) impounded it alot faster than that. doesnt take 20 minutes for me to get an unsafe vehicle off the roadway. Tint all the lights and the windows including the winshield? um yeah....probally need to mature and grow up and work on common sense in order to drive anyway.

whatever happened with his sgt etc...theres more to it than that, and it was not 3 hours on the side of the road. thats just exaggeration. glad you filed a complaint with the state though...if its worded anywhere near like this, those people down there will get a good bit of entertainment from it as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i understand that its my fault i dont want remorse at all i have more then made up for the tinted lights. my tintes blacked out lights prob let out more light then your stock not blacked out lights due to the fact that i have upgraded my brake turn and running and headlight with the brightest aftermarket lights i can find. and for your imformation cops out here where i live are a##holes they have nothing better to do and they are always looking for ways to get money to make up for the deficit or to make their quota its rediculous. and like some people said i am laughing cause i didnt get nothing but a warning and i was held like a criminal gang banger for three hours for a stupid fix-it ticket COME ON

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
07 dc we are not in texas and its alot different and yes from 826 to 1117 so your right bs on three hours it was 2 hr and 51 min my bad.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
07 dc we are not in texas and its alot different and yes from 826 to 1117 so your right bs on three hours it was 2 hr and 51 min my bad.
yup. cali laws are even more strict than here. but i think you were reminded about that this morning.

and FYI writing tickets to make up for a budget deficit etc, yeah um no. doesnt workt hat way. most tickets we right can get dismissed or knocked down or something so its not really a very godo source of income...especially when you write a 150 dollar ticket and it costs a city alot more than that to pay the employees to process paperwork and if it goes to court, paying the overtime for the cop etc. also, quotas are illegal, u know that right? no one has them. :) thats just one of those things people who cant take responsibility claim. kinda like you only stopped me because im __________ (insert whatever u want, race, color of car, type of vehicle, etc). im sure your attitude had alot to do with how long you were detained. but anyway, glad you are soooo pissssed off he didnt give u a ticket. i'd hate to see how bad your panties would be in a wad if you actually had something to worry or be upset about.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
...and for your imformation cops out here where i live are a##holes they have nothing better to do and they are always looking for ways to get money to make up for the deficit or to make their quota its rediculous...
Well, I'm starting to see why you were camped out on the side of the freeway for three hours. Your officer was no doubt trying deep breathing exercizes so as not to hook you for being a rude jack***.

Further, LE can care less how much $$$ goes into the city/county coffers based on activity. It's the last thing a patrol officer is concerned with. You want to know what's on LE minds when working a shift? How about having nothing better to do than:

- Wondering how hard it's going to be to stay alert at around 0400 when the rest of the complaining public (i.e: you) is sound asleep in bed so you can respond with full faculties to a major TC.
- Having to constantly remind yourself to stop worrying about your sick kid because it distracts you from the dangers at every intersection, alley, dark parking lot behind an industrial complex, etc.
- Praying to God the next traffic stop with the dropped, modded ricer P.O.S. with the limo-black windows doesn't degenerate into a gunfight because the local gang has mailed an anonymous letter to your department stating its intent to ambush and execute any officer it has contact with.
- Hoping you can be awake enough at the end of your shift at 0630 so you can make it home in time to see your wife and kids before they have to go to work and school rather than having to bunk at the station so you don't fall asleep on the way home.

Yeah. A$$holes all.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts