Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re: 2004 Tundra ExCab 4x4, Auto @ column, cloth bench seat

The bulb that illuminates the "D" (drive) on my dash has quit (or burned out). All other "gears" are still lite.

What is required to get to the bulbs? Owner servicable?

Thanks in advance.

Don @ Virginia

·
Registered
374 Posts
05-06 are led that ar soldered in. not sure on 04. easy todake apart though. i had it in several pieces and sanded the green out and had it back together in an hour

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's relatively easy to do - I just replaced the one on my 03 a couple of weeks ago. If you do a search there are some write ups on it.
Steps that I did (pretty much followed the write ups):
1. remove the 2 screws that hold the instrument plastic housing
2. remove the housing. For my 03, I had to pull out the ignition switch a little so the housing would come out.
3. Remove the 4 screws holding the instrument panel
4. Following the advice in one of the write ups, once the screws are out, you can "rotate" the instrument panel to the left and back so that the right side sticks out from the dash.
5. From there you can remove the 4 connectors and pull the panel out.
6. Replace the bulb.
7. Reverse the process and your done.
Took me about 15 minutes . . .

·
Supportive Supporter
1,144 Posts
It's relatively easy to do - I just replaced the one on my 03 a couple of weeks ago. If you do a search there are some write ups on it.
Steps that I did (pretty much followed the write ups):
1. remove the 2 screws that hold the instrument plastic housing
2. remove the housing. For my 03, I had to pull out the ignition switch a little so the housing would come out.
3. Remove the 4 screws holding the instrument panel
4. Following the advice in one of the write ups, once the screws are out, you can "rotate" the instrument panel to the left and back so that the right side sticks out from the dash.
5. From there you can remove the 4 connectors and pull the panel out.
6. Replace the bulb.
7. Reverse the process and your done.
Took me about 15 minutes . . .
That's it....the only thing I'd add is note the position (polarity)that the original lite is in.....I think they are LED's and must be installed the correct way or it won't lite up......put in the new bulb and test it B4 you button everything up.
It's pretty easy! ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
The bulb that illuminates the "D" (drive) on my dash has quit (or burned out). All other "gears" are still lite.
Identical problem just surfaced on my '03. I was thinking "what an odd failure" and now I see this thread.

Thanks for posing the question and those who answered!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had that identical problem in mine a little over a year and a half ago. The "D" just quit working on me. A few weeks after it quit, a very excited punch to the dash board (a result of a phone call from a VERY good looking girl:D) caused the light to come back on miraculously and it's been on ever since, haha. (I thanked her for this, as well as what she was actually calling about)

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the same problem but it is with my check engine bulb. I replaced, but still won't light up. Automatic smog failure!! any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I replaced my dash lights, it's not very complicated.
well, i put blue T10 LEDs for the illumination lights, only to find out that one of the illumination lights is a different color (greenish plastic around bulb)
So my dash is bright blue, except for the right half of the speedometer, which is green.
So i was wondering what size bulb that light is, it's the same size as the "D" bulb, which is burnt out as well as the "P" light. Is it a T5 light? or what size?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts