Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few days my truck has developed a very annoying dash noise. It's not a rattle or a high pitched squeak, it tone is lower. It is surely two pieces of material rubbing together. The sound seems to be coming from the center to right side of the upper dash. Possibly where the windshield and dash come together.

Has anyone experiences this yet and if so did you cure it?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I hate chasing weird noises like that. So far I don't have any. Til I have had the vehicle awhile I will be a little

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the feeling. I like that nail biter guy. :D

I'm usually in the truck by myself so it is hard to nail down the exact area of the noise. Of course when I bring the wife with it won't do it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
there is a tsb from toyota about a windshield rattle for all toyota's. im not at work so i cant pull it up right now. go into your dealership and send them dash cricket hunting ;)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would appreciate a post about that TSB.

I hate to send send them "cricket" chasing. I know too many people who have ended up with more noises after a so-called fix than had to start. If there is a specific thing to check I may do it myself as I'm sure I will take more care than the guy getting paid 1/2 price doing warranty work.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does it say the problem or the potential fix is?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
What does it say the problem or the potential fix is?
If a creak, tick, or rattle noise is heard at the top or bottom of the windshield, the source
of the noise may be the two windshield stoppers bonded to the top of the windshield or
the windshield retainers bonded to the lower edge of the windshield. This bulletin
provides the recommended repair procedure to eliminate these types of noises from the
windshield area.

It looks like the windshield has to be removed for this mod. Have the dealer fix it next time your in for service.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The last few days my truck has developed a very annoying dash noise. It's not a rattle or a high pitched squeak, it tone is lower. It is surely two pieces of material rubbing together. The sound seems to be coming from the center to right side of the upper dash. Possibly where the windshield and dash come together.

Has anyone experiences this yet and if so did you cure it?
I have the exact same noise it is like a creaking noise near the windshield on the passenger side. With only 400 miles on it this stinks. I hope no more show up for a long time mine gets a little better aftre the truck has the heat running for a while but still I only have 400 miles on it and this should not be happening.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Man I feel sorry for you dude. First the bad engine noises at cold startups, now this. Hopefully the dealer will be able to get them both fixed for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I sounds like there is a common dash rattle on the passenger side of the dash. Mine is only when it is cold and the cabin hasn't warmed up. Could be hard for the dealer to find as it is starting to warm up in Canada. Might have to wait till the fall to trace this one. I also hear a metalic type of squeak from the same area when going slowly over a rough surface. This stuff drives me nuts. Over then that the rest of the truck has been tight and very sound.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Here you go guys...it says it applies to all 03-07 Toyota vehicles. I only have the issue when its cold.

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yikes, that looks a little involved. I may have to wait this out and see if anything else starts squeaking and have it all done at once. It's nice to see the 3 year/36000 mile part!

Thanks CooperS

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yikes, that looks a little involved. I may have to wait this out and see if anything else starts squeaking and have it all done at once. It's nice to see the 3 year/36000 mile part!

Thanks CooperS
You know how most shops are...they wont do the work unless they can duplicate the sound so that be tough for the folks who live more than a few miles away and dont want to leave the truck with them overnight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Right where the dash meets the windshield, about 3-4 inches to the right of the defrost vent. If you tap the dash (push down) you can duplicate the noise.
My thoughts are to remove the upper glove box and place a piece of foam between the dash panel and whatever is below it.
If it would warm up around here I would do it but I am afraid to break clips right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought an 07 DC SR5 1.5 weeks ago and didn't hear this problem until the temps took a dip last week. It doesn't happen often, only when cold (as others have noted). I have it in to the dealer to fix a chip in the paint that was there off the lot, and they are going to look at this sound as well. Other than the little creek in cold temps, this vehicle has been fantastic. (well, that and the disappointing sound out of the 6 speaker system - I expect a little more dynamic speaker capabilty in the year '07, but that's ok, I'll be updating the speakers soon)

Chris

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine has been very sporaticly. I dont want them tearing into it until it does it frequently.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thank goodness there is a TSB for this stupid dash tick! I've been trying everything mentioned over the past two years, and finally had time to tear the whole damn dash apart last week....and dynomatted, foam-filled, padded and checked every possible source of the tick! Not even the defrost vents did the noise. It has to be the clips for the lower portion of the windshield. In fact, I just had a new windshield installed two weeks ago, and the noise increased...but only when the temps dropped down a bit especially in the morning. I'm taking this damn thing down to the dealer to have the tsb done ASAP! I've been ready to sell the thing just because of the noise every singe day! Thanks for the help! I'll let you know how the tsb goes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I dropped my vehicle off at the dealer this morning. They were shocked when I showed the the TSB print out, as only the Techs receive those.

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts