Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else had the factory paint on the drivers side air bag lid turn sticky? I figured it might be from the sun reflecting off the shiny windshield sun blocker thing. I took a barely damp rag to it and and it started taking the paint right off. The remaining paint has been sticky for a few months now. It had Armor-All globbed on by the dealer when I bought it but I've never re-applied it since then. Strange....

·
Registered
4 Posts
dealer did nothing except clean the lid..still is skicky...they claim airbag is still functional so thats the end of it unless more people complain. let me know what your dealer says. Charlie..pinellas park fla

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, it shouldn't be sticky ever.
it isn't painted, if it is, there was a issue., & they tried to cover it up.

i belive they used some type of chemical, that make this happen.
i have seen this about a dozen times on various vehicles.
due to so called detailers not using the right stuff.
what do you expect they work at the dealership.
sad but true.
next time you ever go to any dealership,go to the detail shop & stand there & just watch them,
i wouldn't let bentley, ferrerri, lambo, merc, jag, caddy, especially toyota ever touch my truck.

have the delaership replace it, do not except a no at all.
demand it.
gorilla

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I have the same problem with the passenger side airbag cover in my 2004 Tundra. Have not looked into repair or replacement. Does anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine is not sticky, but the paint in the forward most edge is coming off. 06 ac if it matters.

Ugh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same just happened to me on my 2006 Tundra. Took it in for a recall to replace the defective airbag. There was nothing wrong with that lead before I took it in and now the lid of the passenger airbag is all sticky and messed up. The dealership denied any responsibility. What can we do about this?

Has anybody else had the factory paint on the drivers side air bag lid turn sticky? I figured it might be from the sun reflecting off the shiny windshield sun blocker thing. I took a barely damp rag to it and and it started taking the paint right off. The remaining paint has been sticky for a few months now. It had Armor-All globbed on by the dealer when I bought it but I've never re-applied it since then. Strange....

·
Registered
10,981 Posts
Automotive exterior Vehicle door Hood Auto part Automotive lighting

Dreaded airbag recall happened twice to my Tundra. The lid ended up being sticky with fingerprints from the technician doing the instillation. The more I rubbed on the lid the worse the situation got. It was the pigment coming off the lid that left the fingerprints.
Needless to say, I wasn't happy and the service writer asked me to bring in my rig ~ he had a vendor coming in to touch up some of their vehicles for sale and he could do mine at the same time.
It's now been painted but I'm afraid to even touch it at this point. I have no idea how this happens but it certainly did happen to me as well.
Good luck with your fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts