Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned my dashboard earlier with some Vinylex and a clean white rag. It didn't take long for me to notice that the white rag was turning purple. I think it must be the dye from the black dashboard rubbing off. I've never seen this in a vehicle before. Anyone else experienced this? I've used Vinylex for years and never had any problem with it before. I don't want my dashboard to end up purple so I'm not going to clean it anymore.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I cleaned my dashboard earlier with some Vinylex and a clean white rag. It didn't take long for me to notice that the white rag was turning purple. I think it must be the dye from the black dashboard rubbing off. I've never seen this in a vehicle before. Anyone else experienced this? I've used Vinylex for years and never had any problem with it before. I don't want my dashboard to end up purple so I'm not going to clean it anymore.
Well... I dont think i would use Vinylex anymore.

Problem solved

·
Registered
528 Posts
Keep in mind that the dash does get filthy...sure it wasn't just grime? I wouldn't use the vinylex or whatever it was anyways. There are too many superior products on the market - choose one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure it wasn't grime yeah. I've had the truck less than a week not to mention grime doesn't typically turn a white rag purple.

I'm not sure which products are superior. Vinylex is widely considered to be safer than other products such as Armor All because it is a water based product as opposed to oil based which causes plastics to dry out and crack. What suggestions do you have?

I have a feeling other folks are going to experience the purple color coming off soon too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Which part of the dash has purple in it?
I have Cream Leather with Brown/Cream dash accents. Take some pictures if you can, I would be very disapointed to hear that what you are saying is true.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm sure it wasn't grime yeah. I've had the truck less than a week not to mention grime doesn't typically turn a white rag purple.

I'm not sure which products are superior. Vinylex is widely considered to be safer than other products such as Armor All because it is a water based product as opposed to oil based which causes plastics to dry out and crack. What suggestions do you have?

I have a feeling other folks are going to experience the purple color coming off soon too.
I will just name one - 303 aerospace protectant.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use armor all cleaning wipes with no problems at all and I have wiped down every inch of that dash many times already. these are really mild clening wipes and leave NO residue at all..thay are sold in a plastic can..

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
...Vinylex is widely considered to be safer than other products such as Armor All because it is a water based product as opposed to oil based which causes plastics to dry out and crack. What suggestions do you have?
Not to burst your bubble or anything, but water-based products are the ones that will cause your plastics, leather, etc. to dry out. Oil-based products are generally the ones that help keep moisture in and prevent water and sunlight from drying it out. If you're not sure, try taking your leather jacket outside in the rain a few times... you'll quickly see what water damage can do to it.

On the subject at hand, I would definitely change products. If you don't like Armor All, there are lots of other options at your automotive parts stores... :D

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
There are many good choices out there. I personally really like Einzettes CockPit Premium http://www.pakshak.com/1z-cockpit-premium-500ml.html

It has a great smell and leaves the dash and interior trim with a clean matte finish. Never cared for a shiny looking dash, just looks cheap to me.

Another great cleaner is 303 Aero Space Cleaner and they also sell a 303 protectant. http://www.pakshak.com/303-aerospace-protectant-16oz.html

You can find 303 at any boat supply store, but Einzettes is online only.

Or you can always just dampen a microfiber cloth in warm water and wipe down the interior plastics. Nothing wrong with that either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts