Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 05 DC tundra
I have an annoying rattle in the area where the radio/heater controls are located. It appears to be coming from that trim piece. It only makes a noise when I drive over bumps, however minor. It is defantly wrose when it is colder out. Has anyone had this problem and suggestions before I go to the dealer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
there are a million posts on dash rattles and squeeks on Tundras from 2000 to present. Few remedies have worked. good luck.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have 05 DC tundra
I have an annoying rattle in the area where the radio/heater controls are located. It appears to be coming from that trim piece. It only makes a noise when I drive over bumps, however minor. It is defantly wrose when it is colder out. Has anyone had this problem and suggestions before I go to the dealer.
Yep I had exactly the same problem this winter with my 05.:mad: As you say it is worst in winter in colder weather. Mine would come and go. When it would start it was VERY annoying, every single bump or crack in the road, creak, creak, tick , tick:mad: then it would just quit making noise even when going over bumps then start again later:mad: VERY fustrating. Anyway I noticed that when it was creaking and groaning if I held my hand on the top part of the bezel surrounding the heater and radio controls that you mention the noise would stop. I decided to remove the bezel and have a look. There are 5 screws, one in each of the upper right and left vents and one behind each of the three heater control knobs. There is also a metal clip on the very top of the surround and two plastic ones on the botton, but once you get all 5 screws out the bezel should pull straight out. I found that the biggest source of the noise was from the metal clip on the top of the bezel, it would move slightly in the spot it was mounted in causing it to make a creaking and clicking sound, so I used clear silicone to seal it to the bezel so it wouldn't move any more and I also used a thin permastic foam with a peel off sticky back and stuck this around the lip on the dash that the radio bezel contacts when it's installed. This pretty much cured the problem. Another thing I did that is talked about quite a bit here is the foam backer rod trick. You can buy this stuff at pretty much any building supply store. It looks like a round solid core foam rope and is used for sealing gaps and comes rolled up in a bag and can be bought in different diameters. I think the 1/2" dia. works best, thats what I used anyway. You just stuff this grey foam rope in the gap between the windshield and the front edge of the dash along the full length from one end to the other. Anyway after I fixed up the radio bezel and installed the foam rope backer my dash has been quiet ever since.:tu: :sleep: Funny thing is the first two winters my truck was dead quiet and then the third winter it was noisy as hell, don't know why it would get noisy all of a sudden, the mounting screws on the bezel were all tight, don't know what else would have changed. Anyway try this, worked for me.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Diego
Thanks so much for your very detailed response. I'm making a stop at my local supply store today. I love my truck but HATE rattles and creaks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts