Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Data sheet: ride heights before and after lift - submit your data!

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Tundradrenalin 
#1 ·
Ladies and gents,

In an effort to collect some data and put it into a single consolidated record, I have created an online spreadsheet to collect this information.

It strikes me that we have a LOT of anectdotal information floating around the boards here about which lift kits produce how much lift, but precious little "actual data".

It strikes me as a valuable exercise for those trying to achieve a certain ride height and then make their lift decisions based on that ride height choice.

So, that being said, here is the link to the spreadsheet on Google Apps. Note: to add data, you have to click the link that says "Edit this Page" on the right side of the page. Then when you are done, click "save and close" I *think* this should work. If you can't figure it out, just post your numbers here and I'll add them to the spreadsheet. :)

Some notes on usage:
1. Ride Height is determined by measuring from the bottom lip of your fender well to the center of the wheel center cap. Take a tape measure and push the tip against the bottom of the fender well and hold it there. Then let the tape measure body hang down with gravity to the center of the weel cap. Take a measurement of where the center falls. Accuracy within 1/8" is about all we can hope to achieve, I think, and even that is subject to so many variables like temperature, load, sitting location (angle or perfectly flat), etc that we just need to collect lots of data to "normalize" it.

2. "Left Front" refers to the DRIVERS side in this spreadsheet. ;)

If anyone has ideas for additional data to collect, let me know!

Thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·
Great idea! If we can flesh out the table, I'll make it a sticky.

Something that would really help adjustable coilover owners would be what make/model/size (ie manufacturer, body diameter, spring rate, etc), the distance from the body end cap to the face of the adjusting collar, and the resulting lift.

For adjustables BOTH SIDES need to be listed since the driver side needs a little more crank than the passenger side, and it's very easy to mismatch the height and wind up with a goofy alignment.

-Sean

#3 ·
Hmm... Sounds like a good use of an additional worksheet. I create a separated worksheet called "Coilover Specs" to capture this additional information. (I'll let you fill in the column headings) Once the data is gathered, we can tablulate everything on a summary page.

The thing that prompted this for me was that I just installed a set of Bilstein 5100s at the top-most setting and it resulted in OVER 3 INCHES of lift! The guys at Bilstein told me that 2.5" was the max with a 2WD AC and that with a 4x4 DC it would probably be significantly less. Others on the forums with this setup and a 4x4 DC have seen 2" to 2.5" of lift, which makes me suspect that my initial ride height was really low. I'm now wondering whether to "freak out" about my upper ball joints getting ruined, or to relax and figure that the 3.5" variance I saw was because of a very low initial ride height. I'll hopefully be able to see other 2005 DC 4x4 initial (stock) ride heights and compare mine against those.

I'm not relishing the choice between pulling the front end apart just to drop the shocks down an adjustment groove or two, or install a set of Camburg UCAs... :(

#5 ·
I don't remember, did your chart have a space for initial ride height and config (ie TRD, Sport, Base, etc)?
Yup. Are you able to access the worksheet? I have not tested it from another person's computer so not sure if it works for someone other than me (who has a Google Apps account)

#6 ·
hmm, just got back from a week long trip to Yosemite.. not much interest in this thread apparently. Shame.

I'll try to comb the various posts and assemble the data on my own.

BTW, it looks like after about 700 miles of towing a 19' TT the Deaver AALs settled about an inch (eyeballing it, it looks like the rear is back to factory height).

I'll measure when I get unpacked and post on another thread that is relevant...

#8 ·
Hmm.. I just tested this from another computer and it worked there too. I'l check from my Mac as well..

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pEIylXKvFjf7dA2L_tfPEQw

Try copying and pasting that link?

Oops - never mind - just checked from someone else's computer. It looks like you have to have an account on Google. that's not going to work. I'l figure out how to re-host it somewhere else.

This might explain the low turnout. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
OK, let's try a different approach. I have attached a copy of the spreadsheet in Excel format. This is a bit less collaborative, but assuming everyone has a copy of some application that can work with Excel, this should work (assuming people want to take the trouble to fill in the information)

Instructions: Open the spreadsheet on your computer, add the data from your truck, and then re-attach your copy to your reply. (or just post the following specs in your reply, and I can deal with filling in the spreadsheet:

Note: "Ride Height" is determined by measuring from the bottom lip of your fender well to the center of the wheel center cap.

Year:
Model:
Trim Level:
4WD?:

STOCK MEASUREMENTS
Driver Front:
Pax Front:
Driver Rear:
Pax Rear:

LIFTED MEASUREMENTS
Driver Front:
Pax Front:
Driver Rear:
Pax Rear:

Lift Details
Fronts:
Rears:

EXAMPLE POST

Year: 2005
Model:Tundra DC
Trim Level: Limited (non-TRD)
4WD?: Yes

STOCK MEASUREMENTS
Driver Front: 19.625"
Pax Front: 20.0"
Driver Rear:22.25"
Pax Rear: 21.625"

LIFTED MEASUREMENTS
Driver Front: 22.750"
Pax Front: 23.375"
Driver Rear: 22.750"
Pax Rear: 22.250"

Lift Details
Fronts: Bilstein 5100 at top notch (of 5)
Rears: Deaver AAL with factory rear shocks

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.