Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
There should be 2 grey plugs between the battery and fender. One of them has the wires on one end routed into the fender. Unplug no more day time running lights.

·
Registered
961 Posts
While you at it you should also disable the airbag, and ABS systems.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,319 Posts
Re: daylight running lights

I had the dealer disable my DRL and luckily my truck didn't come with ABS.

·
Registered
189 Posts
While you at it you should also disable the airbag, and ABS systems.
When I had my DRLs still hooked up I just drove with all the fogs and headlights and yet people still did not see the truck coming and it has not gotten any worse since I disconnected the DRLs and now I am running with no lights on in the daytime.

Since DRLs first came out on cars I have seen more IDIOTS drive with just DRLs on at night so that is a real good safety feature. :tu:

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
does anybody know the procedure to disable daytime running lights.
I gotta go with the rest of the crowd.

Give it up already.

I can't count the number of times I've seen people driving without lights.

To be honest, all manufacturers should make the lights come on and turn off automatically. All the lights, not just the headlights.

There should then be a switch to turn them off. Everytime the vehicle starts, it should be in the auto setting, and then require the driver to manually shut them off...everytime.

If you have some sort of good reason to drive with them off during the evening, then you can switch them off, otherwise they are on.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Isnt it ironic? I want DRLs and mine does not have them.

Tundrahick.... I agree with the auto on/off. I have seen it too- people without lights. The other day some girl was going down the road in the dark. She must have been an imbecile not to realize that the lights were not on.

I have had several cars (late GM cars) and moms 98' Oldsmobile has DRLs and when it senses it getting dark out, all lights come on.

·
TS
579 Posts
Not all people are turning the lights off to be dangerous. I disabled mine but leave my headlights on at all times when driving. My headlights, fog lights, and rear markers are always on until I turn the car off. You can't miss me coming.

I use the dead DRL's when pulling out of my driveway at 3 AM to go fishing so I dont wake the neighbors accross, I use it when I go watch the animals on my dad's land but do not want to be eaten my squiters with open windows, I use the disabled lights basically for convenience and courtesy but always drive with headlights on.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I don't turn them off all the time, but its nice to be able to do so in certain circumstances. Military bases, as mentioned elsewhere; backing out of a parking spot at the softball fields so the headlights don't shine in the pitcher's eyes and hold up play; pulling in at the duck club so as not to shine lights out in the rice fields; minimizing instrusive lights in a campground at night. Just a few of the spots I've experienced.

·
Goodbye '01 Tundra :(
168 Posts
Are people seriously hassling a guy over DRL's? Give me a break, if someone can't see a large vehicle coming down the road towards them, DRL's aren't going to help. Maybe all vehicles should have strobes in them that run all the time so that people will notice you. :rolleyes: While we are at it, I have seen a lot of people speeding, maybe we should take the max speed limit in a given area, for example, up here you don't see speed limits over 65, and put a governor at that point so that noone can speed on the highway. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
DRL's can and have been proven to be effective in many situations. An example is here in the high desert of SoCal, where the road undulates quite a bit. It is VERY easy for a vehicle to blend into the background, especially when the cars are 1/4 mile apart and one decides to pass slow traffic.

The color of the car doesn't matter, and even trucks will blend under the right lighting. DRL's are visible and are NOT normal in a landscape scene, thus causing opposing traffic to see something out of the ordinary. A dark car on a black asphalt road with a TON of heat wave coming off of it can be really hard to pick up from 300-400yds away, and when drivers start to pass at a slower car, thinking no one is coming the other way, they do not accellerate as hard to pass.

On several raods out here, we've seen collisions go way down when a forced Daytime Headlight law has been impossed. The DO help. Of course there are always going to be people that won't see a Mack truck 100yds away, but bright red headlights won't help them either.

Point being, is they DO help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts