Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a way to disable the DRLs on the '07? They apparently are tied in with the turn signals, using the same circuit, so you can't unplug them. I am not looking for a lecture on safety, just a way to lose the DRLs without losing my turn sigs.
I scanned some older threads on the subject, but did'nt find anything on the '07. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gordon

·
Banned
888 Posts
Order a truck without them :D
Someone will have to tear into the dash and find the wire that runs to the light sensor,or ask a Dealer Tech where it is located and unplug it.
Couldnt stand them on my other GMs and more then glad their not on my Tundra :tu:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Stupid question....

I've got the light sensor, and my dash lights come on as the sun goes down (or on a cloudy day) - but I am 99% sure that the external lights don't come on unless I specifically turn them on.

Do I got a defect? Are the primary lights supposed to come on automatically? What lights constitute "Daytime Running Lights" ?

I did notice that I could leave the main lights on, and that if you hit the lock button twice on the remote, they turn off.

I do have the TRD package.... I do not recall any other lighting things as "options".

·
Registered
416 Posts
I personally tried to order my new truck without DRL's, but it seems like they get put on anyway (SET or some misguided safety plan from the factory, not sure). I didn't get charged, but I really didn't want 'em.

That said, they are pretty subtle (not like the early GM ones I've seen that are essentially like having the headlights on all the time), so I may not mess with them. Would be nice to know how, though.

As far as the auto lights, I'm sure eventually somebody will have a more precise explanation, but I did notice that they seem to light in stages. First stage would be when it is somewhat dark, and is the equivalent of putting on your parking lights (which also lights the dash at a low level).

Then "full on" (when it gets darker) which lights the headlights and brightens the dash lights (depending on where you have the dimmer set).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Stupid question....

I've got the light sensor, and my dash lights come on as the sun goes down (or on a cloudy day) - but I am 99% sure that the external lights don't come on unless I specifically turn them on.

Do I got a defect? Are the primary lights supposed to come on automatically? What lights constitute "Daytime Running Lights" ?

I did notice that I could leave the main lights on, and that if you hit the lock button twice on the remote, they turn off.

I do have the TRD package.... I do not recall any other lighting things as "options".
The "daytime running lights" are an option thats turns on the front park/turn lamps only. They do not turn on any high/low beam or driving lamps like on other vehicles. They come on as soon as you start the truck.

Jim

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I ordered my truck with RL's, but took another off the lot sooner which doesn't have them. Where I live, they are essential for not being hit. My '05 didn't have them, but I drove with my headlights on 99% of the time.
I've got to figure out way to get them on my '07.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i hate them.... i looked for a truck without them here in so cal and every truck had it ... i figure it is just something they program in the onboard computer .. (thats how it is with bmw) but i bet they just see it as a easy way to make $40.00 ... i am ready to remove the light bulbs and do without the running lights in the front pretty sad i gotta do that but toyota has left me no other choice so far

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
i am ready to remove the light bulbs and do without the running lights in the front pretty sad i gotta do that but toyota has left me no other choice so far
Might want to double check that...I believe if you remove the bulbs, you will lose your front turn signals. I must admit they are a bit of a nuisance.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are disabled the same way as my 4Runner. The dealership plugs into the truck with their handheld tool, scrolls through the menus and changes DRL from 'on' to 'off'

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Order a truck without them :D
I hate them too! Canada started with a law saying that you needed your headlights on during the daytime (maybe someone from there can elaborate), then GM says that it's one of their safety features. Have you noticed that the Corvette only used the running lights instead of the headlights. Having your headlights on can help in 2-lane road passing situations but that should be up to you (not the car).

Anyway, I was online checking the inventories of dealerships in FL. Every Tundra I saw came with them. I guess it's something SET is cramming down their throats.

·
Registered
416 Posts
That's what I figured. My truck was ordered, one reason being that I didn't want Toyoguard and DRL's. But I got them both anyway. As I said, I did not pay for them, but the distributor must have taken some money from the dealer for them...

This is one of the problems Toyota is having at the moment. Their antequated distribution system. Don't see it going away any time soon, though...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Might want to double check that...I believe if you remove the bulbs, you will lose your front turn signals. I must admit they are a bit of a nuisance.

i know i will ... i just hate the DRL that much that i am willing to loose them ... i have the turn signals in the mirrors anyways ... i will talk to the dealer again tonight

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Just curious...why do you guys HATE them so much?
#1: You're in the truck and can't even see them
#2: They give you a little bit of a break on insurance premium
#3: They make you more visible during the daytime
#4: It's not like It'll ruin stealth-mode while you're on a surburbia recon mission for Chinese Takeout

:confused:

Since my new TUNDY will be the color of the pavement...Slate...I'll appreciate them.

I'd say go to the dealer and have them disabled, as mentioned earlier, if you no wants them.:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I Hated them too when they came out up here in the late 80's or early 90's but now I wouldn't want to be with out them.One way around them in the early cars & trucks was to set the parking brake on the very first indent . Check to make sure the rear brakes don't get hot after a few miles driving. I like them now in Canada because an oncoming car is much easier to see on specially on a cloudy day, same when your pulling onto the highway.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Personally, I like DRLs. They are mandatory here in Canada, but I think they look especially good on the Tundra. I like the amber lighting on the front of my black truck.

Plus, I don't even see them when I'm driving unless I pull up behind another truck with a chrome bumper.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
#4: It's not like It'll ruin stealth-mode while you're on a surburbia recon mission for Chinese Takeout

I'm guessing #4 (or something really close to it) plays a big roll in the hatred.:p

Although I believe I read somewhere that someone HAD to disable DRL for their job...

·
Registered
848 Posts

Since my new TUNDY will be the color of the pavement...Slate...I'll appreciate them.

I'd say go to the dealer and have them disabled, as mentioned earlier, if you no wants them.:)

i just dont like them .. thats all the reason i need :)
just like i think all the crewmaxes that dont have the limited chrome door handles look like a stripped down discount model... everyone is different and things that bug some people wont bug another person ...

·
Registered
352 Posts

To quote your own response...
Yeah, it looks like $h!t, and it's my truck, my money, my opinion, my decision.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
To quote your own response...

Wow! I remember writing that...while ago...what thread io that from. It look funny

I'm not criticizing anyone about the DRL, I wa jut curious why y'all didn't like them, considering all of the pluses.:)

·
Registered
416 Posts
A couple of reasons on my account:

1) I work in a place where I have to pass through a guard gate. It is requested that you turn off your lights when approaching the gate at night to avoid blinding the guards who want to verify your credentials. The guards have guns... I'd like to be helpful!

2) I ride a motorcyle on the street on occasion. A while back all motorcycles (at least in my state) were required to have headlights on all the time. I believe all bikes in the states now have had the switches removed. This was all for better visibility. It is negated by all cars doing the same thing, so it's kind of a principle thing there for me.

Also, it's getting like an arms race. Pretty soon we'll all have the full police light bar setup "to be seen". And much bigger vehicles to be safer. I mean, geez, you can't see my new Tundra? It's huge... My previous truck must have been absolutely invisible!:p

And if conditions are marginal, I can figure out how to turn on my lights myself. I find some of the automatic systems annoying and unnecessary.

As stated earlier most of this is less of a big deal now because they are just small yellow lights. I was expecting "near headlight" level lighting, as past GM cars I have rented, and ordered my options with that in mind.

I will probably keep the more subtle ones, but would like an option to disable them. They are optional on the order sheet after all...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts