Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any DC owners out there with backup cameras??

I looked into back up sensors but most say theyre crap when it rains, depending on the heat or if they get dirty so Im leaning towards a backup camera.

Theres the license plate cameras but from the threads Ive found on the net you cant see the bumper to judge how close you are and plus thats just something for thieves to spot and rip off. I was thinking of getting a chrome cover off of ebay for a '07+ Tundra and chopping the camera spot off and molding it to my handle. I like how its angled down so you can see the bumper and use it as a reference point.

Depending on the size of the camera I might have to cut out some sheet metal around the tailgate handle opening so the back of the camera would fit which I dont want to do. If the camera fits without cutting that to me would be the best fit and look.

Any other ideas? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I like Tacoma(s) rear handle a little better. I'm not sure if its direct fit or not.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
true, but at least camera is hidden from view. I'm not sure if 07+ tundra handle will work either, its all custom for us

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
true, but at least camera is hidden from view. I'm not sure if 07+ tundra handle will work either, its all custom for us
I wouldnt be using the handle assembly only the handle camera / cover, specifically the spot for the camera. Id cut that off of the chrome handle cover and mold that piece to my current handle, then either paint it all black again or color match it Silver Sky.

Either way, its custom as you said. I know nothing will drop in.......just wanted to see other ideas out there. I dont know why these trucks didnt come from the factory with at least back-up sensors!!!??

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
use a rostra camera....im sure it can be adapted for a non 07 setup...just check the voltages....personally i have an aftermarket camera at the top edge of my plate cause it came with the Rostra overhead monitor i got off ebay but you should check rostra's site for the vehicle specific 07 version...

their camera (since toyota discontinued the OEM camera and u cant buy it now) is what plugs into the OEM wiring but like i said im sure someone can modify it to work. reason i suggest it, is its just one that you drill a hole in the bezel, and then stick this angled camera mount in the hole. looks very OEM style...and no molding or anything. should be super easy.

another suggestion is one i saw on a ford forum....just get a wide angle round normal ebay cheapy camera and remove the lock cylinder from the tailgate handle (u can wire it up to a power lock actuator to retain the locking function) and just mount the camera to that hole. u can use some sort of spacer (cut out of plastic or anything really) to angle it/space it as needed slightly without being noticeable, from the backside and it should look fine.

the above pic is from here http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/175224-04-access-cab-stereo-upgrade/

easier option beyond that, is to just install one of thsoe round cameras in the bumper - someone on here has some pics posted...just install it in the plastic panel beside the license plate.....

or between hitch and bumper etc..

they have these surface mount styles that some have put on the bracket down below the bumper for the trailer wiring

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Rostra camera is $600-$800 :eek:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another suggestion is one i saw on a ford forum....just get a wide angle round normal ebay cheapy camera and remove the lock cylinder from the tailgate handle (u can wire it up to a power lock actuator to retain the locking function) and just mount the camera to that hole. u can use some sort of spacer (cut out of plastic or anything really) to angle it/space it as needed slightly without being noticeable, from the backside and it should look fine.

the above pic is from here http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/audio-and-stereo/175224-04-access-cab-stereo-upgrade/
Hey thanks alot Barney_Fife. I guess you 5.7 guys aint bad after all! ;) :D I think Im going w/ the keyhole idea, and like you said just make a spacer to angle it down. Either 30 or 45 degrees.

The bumper / hitch camera is a cool spot but I really need to see the rear bumper as a reference point so I can see how much room I have left. That would be a great spot for loading / unloading a trailer though.

Thanks again! :tea:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Hey thanks alot Barney_Fife. I guess you 5.7 guys aint bad after all! ;) :D I think Im going w/ the keyhole idea, and like you said just make a spacer to angle it down. Either 30 or 45 degrees.

The bumper / hitch camera is a cool spot but I really need to see the rear bumper as a reference point so I can see how much room I have left. That would be a great spot for loading / unloading a trailer though.

Thanks again! :tea:
haha of course im not all bad....im a 4.7 gen 2 and not a 5.7 haha...must be why im nice haha

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
PS i heard someone on a forum but cant find it, they located some antennae bases of different angles (like adding an antennae to the fender type of mount, like an OEM style but aftermarket). anyway, wherever he foudn his, is what he used for the spacer...found one in the size he wanted and reemed the hole out just a little bit larger for the threaded backside of the camera and put it in with a washer ahead of the nut and it worked fine. cant find that thread but oh well.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
When I bought my truck it had a RearSight Backup Camera installed and it works very well. I didn't even notice it until after I bought the truck because you can't tell the screen is in the mirror unless you're looking for it. The mirror has 3 inputs as well for expandability but I haven't added other peripherals. I've been thinking abut adding a camera to the front but it's not a high priority.

After a little searching, it looks like this is the exact kit that is installed on my truck. RearSight Backup Camera The camera sits just under the handle on the gate and doesn't look too out of place in my opinion.

Sorry for the somewhat crappy pics, it's the best my BB can do. Please also excuse the dirty truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Barney & defhaps -

Do either one of you guys know if you can buy those camaras separate, without the monitor? I would like to connect it to an in-dash DVD/NAV. I like the looks of those alot versus the stand alone type. I plan to cut and plasti-weld it into my existing tailgate, similar to the Tacos.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Barney & defhaps -

Do either one of you guys know if you can buy those camaras separate, without the monitor? I would like to connect it to an in-dash DVD/NAV. I like the looks of those alot versus the stand alone type. I plan to cut and plasti-weld it into my existing tailgate, similar to the Tacos.

You can get little cameras all over the internet and the quality you want determines how expensive it'll be. I assume your In-dash has a normal 1 yellow plug (composite - analog) video connection?

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Any of these camera connect via the yellow plug. Plenty on Ebay, but i'd go with name brand. Chinese can be bought for $30 but you get what you pay for i guess. I need one as it sucks sometimes to back it, but i don't have in dash dvd so not willing to spend money on camera before other more important mods.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might take a look at this license plate camera. It's not quite as obvious to thieves and has bolts that are at least a little more difficult to remove than screws. It is adjustable up and down so you can see the bumper if you adjust it right. I've got one and the picture quality is quite good.

Amazon.com: Boyo VTL300 Zinc Metal Black License Plate Camera: Automotive

I was looking at that brand a few months back but I was looking at the slim model (Boyo Vision VTL 375). Its not as noticeable since it blends into the surround plate and it wont cover up "TEXAS" on my plate, the cops here are strict when it comes to showing license plates.

Do you have any pictures of the output? How is it at nighttime? How long have you had it?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I was looking at that brand a few months back but I was looking at the slim model (Boyo Vision VTL 375). Its not as noticeable since it blends into the surround plate and it wont cover up "TEXAS" on my plate, the cops here are strict when it comes to showing license plates.

Do you have any pictures of the output? How is it at nighttime? How long have you had it?
Actually I do have the slim model (375). I thought that one looked different than mine. No pictures, but it looks as good as the factory camera on my wife's Highlander to me. It's slightly fish eye though to give a wider field of vision. Night visibility is very good too. I think I've had it for about a year.

I originally bought one of those $25 ebay cameras and the picture was great for a while........that didn't last long though.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Thanx for the good info.

Once you get the BOYO camera, what do you use for monitor ?

I think any monitor smaller than 4" across is essentially useless as you can't see much in it.

If you get a monitor about the size of the stock one in the 2 Gen ( 7 or 8" across) where do you locate it ?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Thanx for the good info.

Once you get the BOYO camera, what do you use for monitor ?

I think any monitor smaller than 4" across is essentially useless as you can't see much in it.

If you get a monitor about the size of the stock one in the 2 Gen ( 7 or 8" across) where do you locate it ?
You upgrade to a good in dash DVD Navigation HU of course....:D

Safety comes first :tu:

·
Registered
194 Posts
You can get little cameras all over the internet and the quality you want determines how expensive it'll be. I assume your In-dash has a normal 1 yellow plug (composite - analog) video connection?
Havent bought the in-dash yet, because I wasnt sure what to get and where. The only thing I could go off of was Cutchfield.com's suggestions, which are all surface mount cameras.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts