Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Tundra 2WD

Since July 2007 my trannie made a grinding noise when in overdrive. As long as I kept it out of overdrive I could tool around without issue. Well today the sh*t hit the fan. Forgot to turn the OD off and while getting on the freeway I heard a clunk and the trannie would not engage.

So do I replace the whole trannie or just the torque converter?

Thanks

Doc

·
Registered
156 Posts
From your description, I would say that you are going to have to replace both the tranny and torque converter. I would imagine that everything is full of metal. Look around for a low mileage 2003/2004 2WD tranny from a salvage yard. I have seen them in the $500 - $800 range. Since it is a 2WD you will have to swap the tailshaft from your tranny and everything should bolt up and plug in.

Welcome to the O/D planetary failure club.

·
Registered
917 Posts
From your description, I would say that you are going to have to replace both the tranny and torque converter. I would imagine that everything is full of metal. Look around for a low mileage 2003/2004 2WD tranny from a salvage yard. I have seen them in the $500 - $800 range. Since it is a 2WD you will have to swap the tailshaft from your tranny and everything should bolt up and plug in.

Welcome to the O/D planetary failure club.
That post is spot on. They improved the planetary gears in late 02 if IIRC.

·
Registered
51 Posts
2000 Tundra 2WD

Since July 2007 my trannie made a grinding noise when in overdrive.

Doc
wow looks like I have 2-3yrs to find a new tranny:D I just notice a metal in the pan and no grinding yet....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies folks, Guess I will be hitting all the toyota dismantlers in the NorCal area when I can afford it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My trans started making a whining sound when in O/D a few weeks ago; it's been getting worse...today, it now makes the truck shudder if I leave it in O/D. I had the dealer service the trans three days ago, they didn't report seeing any metal shavings in the fluid. I'm assuming the overdrive is internal and integral to the trans and cannot be replaced independently - is this correct?
Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue. Yes, the O.D. planetary gear set is an integral part of your transmission and cannot be replaced without dropping the tranny and taking it apart. I had the O.D. issue and shopped around several local shops and was quoted between $1400 - $1800 to remove and rebuild without replacing any gear sets. I have read on this site that the O.D. gear set is close to $1000. This would have brought my tab to around $2500 to have it repaired at the shop.

Toyota and other shops sell remanufactured transmissions in the $2000 price range. I chose to replace mine with a low mileage salvage unit. I replaced my 2000 4X4 transmission with a 2004 4X4 transmission aquired for $600.

Depending on what service Toyota did to your tranny a few days ago, they may not have seen metal that is in the transmission. If they did a simple drain and refill or flushed the system without removing the pan, I doubt they would see metal in the fluid since most of it would be stuck to the magnets in the bottom of the pan. I would make sure that the pan was removed and check the magnets if this has not been done.

Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts