Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a quote for 1850 above "dealer invoice" for a slate crewmax 4x4 5.7 SR5. OF,CK,BU,MG,RL,RB,EC,EJ,HM,P7,SO,BL. He is working on adding the BL,P7,and the EC so an exact price has not been set. The truck before the changes seems to be about 1000 higher than what I consider to be invoice(the type of invoice that you would find on Edmunds). Does anyone know what type of "scam" or wording he is using to get the "invoice" price higher than that of Edmunds. Anything anyone can chime in would be appreciated. If it gets screwy I will bail on the deal, but I like to know what I am griping about so I sound like I know something.

Thanks
Robb

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am getting a quote for 1850 above "dealer invoice" for a slate crewmax 4x4 5.7 SR5. OF,CK,BU,MG,RL,RB,EC,EJ,HM,P7,SO,BL. He is working on adding the BL,P7,and the EC so an exact price has not been set. The truck before the changes seems to be about 1000 higher than what I consider to be invoice(the type of invoice that you would find on Edmunds). Does anyone know what type of "scam" or wording he is using to get the "invoice" price higher than that of Edmunds. Anything anyone can chime in would be appreciated. If it gets screwy I will bail on the deal, but I like to know what I am griping about so I sound like I know something.

Thanks
Robb
+1850 seems a little high, but it sounds like your biggest problem is determining what invoice is.

The invoice prices listed on Edmunds are dead-on, so you should at least compare those to your dealers itemized invoice prices. Edmunds doesn't list invoice prices for every option but it looks like just about every option is MSRP divided by 1.25 (NAV is the only one I found which was a tad less). So if the dealer's list shows Edmunds prices and everything else is approx MSRP/1.25 it is probably legit. (And of course, "invoice" really means dealer's costs, which means you have to add things like destination charge.)

And BTW, once you validate the real invoice prices it seems like $1000 over would be more fair. If this dealer won't give that I'd be surprised if you had to look long for a dealer that would.

·
Registered
209 Posts
actually edmunds.com is wrong for some reason take alook at this invoice then look at edmunds figures.tell me what you think?? Also look at the price of the nav and when you do a custom appraisal look at edmunds nav cost. do you see dealer $33731.00? If you go to edmunds and look-up standard double cab lmtd 4x4 5.7 edmunds is about $1200.00 higher than this actual invoice?? When you get to the dealership always ask to see invoice!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Edmunds includes Holdback and Financial reserve in their invoice pricing-which makes up that $1200. However they do not include Destination charge,TDA and fuel charge whice is included in your invoice posted.

If you wanted to match up that invoice to edmunds, you would take the base invoice price, add the invoice prices of the accessories, then add holdback and financial reserve

33731 + Base Invoice
2628.50 + Options
771 + Holdback (profit)
385 Financial reservce (profit)
_________
37515.50 Edmunds Invoice

708 + TDA(advertising, It cost more in GST,prob a profit item for GST)
10 + Gas
_________
38878.50 Gulf States Toyota Invoice price

1800 over is way to much to pay for a tundra right now, my dad only paid about 1k over the first week they came out. I would shoot for anwhere from $500 below to $500 above minus any incentives right now. If gas hit $3 in you area yet, I would go on the lower range.

·
Registered
281 Posts
kbb.com a better resource in my opinion than edmunds.com

if you look at the line that says "What people are actually paying" edmunds will have that filled out as soon as a vehicle is released or before. kbb will actually wait and look into what they are being sold for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed on the invoice you attached it shows the financial reserves and the dealer hold back as a cost. That should be a profit to the dealer correct? And TDA what does this stand for? I know it's adverstising, but does the dealer pay or get paid the TDA. And what about the gas, is that something the dealer pays or gets a credit on? Just curious. :ts:

·
Registered
634 Posts
I noticed on the invoice you attached it shows the financial reserves and the dealer hold back as a cost. That should be a profit to the dealer correct? And TDA what does this stand for? I know it's adverstising, but does the dealer pay or get paid the TDA. And what about the gas, is that something the dealer pays or gets a credit on? Just curious. :ts:
I was about to suggest the exact same thing, Dealer Holdback is NOT a cost to the dealer put rather a pure profit. Most dealers, if asked to see the invoice by the customer, will produce an invoice which shows dealer holdback as a cost. It is not.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The WFR, TDA, holdback, fuel/fuel surcharge, etc are charged to the dealer, and are due, thats why they are on the invoice. The holdback and also WFR (or so I hear) are credited back at a later time, but the dealer is charged them. So yes it is profit later down the line, but there is nothing "wrong" with the invoice.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The WFR, TDA, holdback, fuel/fuel surcharge, etc are charged to the dealer, and are due, thats why they are on the invoice. The holdback and WFR (or so I hear) are credited back at a later time, but the dealer is charged them. So yes it is profit later down the line, but there is nothing "wrong" with the invoice.

OK my fault on that one. I always thought that Holdback was not an actual cost to the dealer. Guess I was wrong on that one. Oh well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The WFR, TDA, holdback, fuel/fuel surcharge, etc are charged to the dealer, and are due, thats why they are on the invoice. The holdback and also WFR (or so I hear) are credited back at a later time, but the dealer is charged them. So yes it is profit later down the line, but there is nothing "wrong" with the invoice.

That doesn't make sense to me. Why would they get charged, then get a credit after the vehicle is sold? Can someone explain???:confused: :ts:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Perhaps SFTundraMan will give an explanation as to how Toyota does it, Toyota may be a little different from the domestic big 2 (or 3 if you want to include DCX ). With domestics it is to help dealers "floorplan" the vehicle and helps with some of the interest charges while the truck sits unsold. If the vehicle sits a while, interest charges exceed holdback if a dealer doesn't pay for vehicles when they arrive, which many don't. Imagine a dealer with 500 casr/trucks on lot with an invoice cost from 12,000.00 up to 50,000.00+ in some cases. That's a heap of money. In GM's case GMAC not only finances the final consumer, but the dealer as well. There are lots of folks out there that know much more about the little details than I do, perhaps they can add more, and more specific details within Toyota.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I just happened to read this today and I am getting called out, lmao

Let me say this first of all. you can go to kbb, edmunds carsdirect and several others and they still dont all agree on what invoice is. try it sometime.

If you want to know what invoice is on the exact truck you are buying, just ask for it. Dont ask for the copy that looks like it has been photocopied 100 times and the font looks different. Have them print out the dealer daily inquiry right in front of you. That will tell you what the factory invoice is . It will be the same no matter what dealer pulls it on that exact truck.

Tda is the advertising fee that is charged by toyota to every dealer.

Edmunds will tell you that this fee exist but for some reason has decided not to tell you what the amount is. It is a huge disservice to the consumer and causes undo conficts between consumers and even legitimate car dealerships.

When a dealer says an amount over invoice, THEY ARE ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT WHAT FACTORY INVOICE SAYS NOT WHAT 3RD PARTY SAYS.

So when in doubt, just ask for it. IF they wont show you, find a dealer that will

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would not get too caught up in invoice price. Yes, it is unfair that holdback and WFR are charged to you. However, getting in to this with the dealer doesn't help. Know what you want and what you are willing to pay for it.

I made a deal yesterday. I never even stated a $ amount that I would pay! Closed the deal in 4 e-mails.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I e-mailed multiple internet managers, within 150 miles, stating the exact vehicle I wanted. I requested that they send the vehicle inquiry report and their price of an incoming or on the lot vehicle that matched the one I wanted. Many won't reply. Some attempt to get you on the phone or in the dealership. I refused. For those that do respond, e-mail back asking for their best price. I had multiple dealers at $500 over invoice. None would go lower so I knew this was a good price. Once I found the exact vehicle that I wanted, I was able to forward other vehicle inquiry reports and best price offers to the dealer who had the vehicle I wanted. I actually forwarded two of these. Dealer, who was $2000 below MSRP with initial reply, came down $700 after the first and $500 with the second. Deal!

I should charge for this stuff!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had 5 dealers at invoice + $500. One dealer who wasn't in the game at that price did offered to order one for $500 over invoice. However, some dealers were not competitive. I told them so and moved on. If the Tundra is in such "high demand", Toyota dealers would have none on the lots and it would be a 6 month wait to get one.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
some versions are in high demand. If you want a 4.7l of anything, you should be able to get it for invoice. 5.7L 4x4s are in high demand and I wouldnt be surprised if they were holding a little gross. I wish I had some available

·
Registered
536 Posts
My deal was for a 5.7 4x4 Limited DC with navigation, 20" wheels, and the like. When I bought my Lexus Rx 300 in 2000, I had to fly from Seattle to LA to get a deal. This time, I only have to drive 100 miles!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts