Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parking brake works pretty good but the dealer says the ebrake levers are seized and they want $365.21 to fix them. As far as I know my brakes work fine. What do you think?

Thank you,

Scoob

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it in for a timing belt $387.95 and water pump replacement $311.67. I only had those 2 things done at this time. It has about 75,000 miles. They also recommended 4-wheel-drive service (fluid changes) $179.85, power steering flush $99.95, spark plugs $99.95 and fuel system service $99.95, along with the ebrake $365.25.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
You getting a 2nd mortgage or what? Sounds like the dealer is short on making payroll.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Where's blinker fluid change?:confused:
Probably dealer saw that you don't know much about the truck and just want to rip you off. 100$ for plugs when it takes 30 minutes and cost <30$ if done yourself. Don't listen to what dealer says - they are out to make money, not to give friendly advise. If you are taking out second mortgage do it all and have piece of mind :boink:

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
I had it in for a timing belt $387.95 and water pump replacement $311.67. I only had those 2 things done at this time. It has about 75,000 miles. They also recommended 4-wheel-drive service (fluid changes) $179.85, power steering flush $99.95, spark plugs $99.95 and fuel system service $99.95, along with the ebrake $365.25.
This dealer service writer is really handing it to you. If you can turn a wrench and pour fluid out of a bottle you can complete all those services (maybe excluding the timing belt replacement because it is such a bear to do...) in your driveway. DIYs for everything are on this site. It only takes 30 minutes to replace all 8 spark plugs on this engine! To swap the power steering fluid out, use an old turkey baster, suck out all the fluid from the reservoir, refill with fresh. Do this 3-4 times over a 1-2 month period. You'll have fresh fluid in there.

I suggest doing these:

Clean the throttle body
Change the spark plugs I recommend the NGK Iridiums (detail in my sig below)
Change your rear differential fluid
Clean/adjust those sticking parking brake bellcranks

·
2,445 Posts
You getting a 2nd mortgage or what? Sounds like the dealer is short on making payroll.
That is cheaper than the dealer I took my truck to. They wanted my money... $500.00 for the 60K service PLUS $225.00 to to the diffs and transfer case fluid changes. That is $500.00 to change the oil and filter, change the plugs, change the air filter, lube the propeller shaft(s), change the cabin air filter (if equipped) and of course the real work for all the inspections. :rolleyes: Even though replacing the rear diff fluid is on the Toyota scheduled maintenance plan apparently they did not include that in the $500.00 "basic" service.

I opted to do it all my self plus the transmission flush. I figure I saved at least $600.00... probably a little more. And I have most of the stuff (fluids at least) to do it the next time around. :tu:

Glad I had the time and TS to help me through it. :tu:

^^^Definitely do the diff fluid changes and check the levers yourself. WD40 and/or some other penetrating oil will probably work. Spray it on and let it soak for a while to see if you can free them up. If that doesn't work and they are rusted really bad then maybe have them replaced. From what you stated if everything works then there is most likely no need.

·
2,445 Posts
Thanks for the replys.

Scoob
You're welcome. All of the DIY stuff may not be for everyone. Depends on how much you are into it of course. If you are, then great, there are a lot of helpful people and threads already posted with great info. If you are not into it and want a mechanic to do the work I would suggest getting a recommendation from someone for a decent shop in your area.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a 2002 4-wheel drive. Are their other differentials to fill in the front? I assume there are.

·
2,445 Posts
It's a 2002 4-wheel drive. Are their other differentials to fill in the front? I assume there are.
Yes, there are a front and rear differential and there is a transfer case next to the transmission. You will need to find out if your rear diff is a LSD (limited slip differential) version. That will require an additional additive when you change the oil. You can have the dealer look up your vin# and tell you or there may be a sticker on the back of the differential. If you are going to tackle this stuff on your own and have not done much wrenching then I suggest doing a bit of research and reading. The DIY area also has some useful tips for doing the plugs etc. You may not need those yet, just depends on when they were changed out. You can also DL (down load) straight from Toyota's website the scheduled maintenance list for your year vehicle.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's an LSD for sure. Thank you for the replys. I appreciate it very much.

Scoob

·
2,445 Posts
It's an LSD for sure. Thank you for the replys. I appreciate it very much.

Scoob
Glad to help. If you run into trouble just ask.

Check back in and let us know how things progress.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts