Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Orange County New York, dealer said I need and ordered me Commercial plates due to the tundra's weight class, i was very suprised when they told me this.......I traded in my 00' Silverado Z71 long bed that did not require commercial plates.......anyone else come across this when buying a new 07 Tundra ???

·
Registered
237 Posts
I live in Orange County New York, dealer said I need and ordered me Commercial plates due to the tundra's weight class, i was very suprised when they told me this.......I traded in my 00' Silverado Z71 long bed that did not require commercial plates.......anyone else come across this when buying a new 07 Tundra ???
That's true. I was at my dealer this morning and he mentioned that the Crewmax, if registered in NY State will have to be registered as a Commercial Vehicle because it goes over the weight limit by 25 lbs. He did mention the CrewMax, and not the DC.

I'm not familiar with the difference between Commercial and Non-Commercial plates? Do you pay more for CPlates? I'm sure someone else in NY State can chime in regarding this issue.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Depends on what you are doing with the truck. I need them on my 02 tundra as my GVW when pulling a trailer is over 10,000 lbs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on what you are doing with the truck. I need them on my 02 tundra as my GVW when pulling a trailer is over 10,000 lbs.
My 07 is a double cab and I'm not doing anything with it except driving it as my everyday ride......Can anyone else in New York State attest to this ???

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's true. I was at my dealer this morning and he mentioned that the Crewmax, if registered in NY State will have to be registered as a Commercial Vehicle because it goes over the weight limit by 25 lbs. He did mention the CrewMax, and not the DC.

I'm not familiar with the difference between Commercial and Non-Commercial plates? Do you pay more for CPlates? I'm sure someone else in NY State can chime in regarding this issue.
Usually commercial plates are used for Business purposes(Contractors,landscapers, or anyone that wishes to have some advertisement decals on a vehicle) Technically, if they give me commercial plates I'm not allowed to park overnight on the street and I can get ticketed for it. I'm pretty sure they do cost more than non-commercial plates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
:eek:
NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration and Certificate of Title #2

I was never able to find the weight specs for the Tundra on the Toyota site...

FWIW, there doesn't seem to be a weight limit in NJ, as far as I can tell.
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission - Vehicles

Edit - "The unladen weight of your pick-up truck is stamped on a metal plate and located on the door of your vehicle. The unladen weight is also listed on your title certificate. The unladen weight is different from the maximum gross weight (MGW) listed on your registration documents. Before you apply, make sure that the unladen weight of the truck is 5,500 lbs. or less."

·
Registered
67 Posts
NY is doing this, I thought perhaps to keep trucks off the parkways..:rolleyes:

Mine still has TX plates for now but sooner or later I'll have to register with "The Evil Empire"...

If it can be made more expensive or difficult...

It's gotta be NY....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, it is true you do have to get commercial plates when you register it in NY due to weight. I ran into the same problem, the dealership sent me home with my transfer plates and then I had to go back and get the commercial ones. I was told if you take off the spare tire and removed the rear seat go have it weighed it could be registered with passenger plates.... I haven't tried it though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geez, only in new york :td: I wonder if my insurance will go up now :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts