Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Two weeks ago I test drove a Double cab 4x4 5.7 NON TRD Tundra. The truck was great, however I want the TRD and I hated the color. Well in any event the sticker on the truck was $34,500. Well on Sat I stop by the same dealer and they still have the truck sitting there, but now the truck is selling for $39,500 because on the "dealer add-on's", what you ask..... $3,000 for "TRD tires and wheels", $1,000 for LoJack, $500 for XM radio, and $500 for an exhaust tip. This makes me so angry that they are doing this to people.

Zack

·
Registered
324 Posts
Most dealers suck. I hate em'. They make very little $$$ off of the actual vehicle. It's "add-ons" & parts/service where they rape most people. I have 2 aquatences that work for stealerships. All they do is think of ways to jack you when you pull in & then talk sh*t about you when they leave. I'm sure there are a few decent guys/gals out there, but most are there for ONE reason...your $$$. Just like Vegas.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
Most dealers suck. I hate em'. They make very little $$$ off of the actual vehicle. It's "add-ons" & parts/service where they rape most people. I have 2 aquatences that work for stealerships. All they do is think of ways to jack you when you pull in & then talk sh*t about you when they leave. I'm sure there are a few decent guys/gals out there, but most are there for ONE reason...your $$$. Just like Vegas.

You sound like me of coarse my moto is pretty simple shopping "Lead follow or get out of my way":sleep: Sales people that have no clue about the truck I'm looking at I tend to avoid Of coarse I tend to know most if not all technical aspect's about the new Tundra so there information really don't aid in the conversation on selling the product Buyer's have plenty of research power The net help's strongly Plus I buy online usually with a Toyota Online sales person pricing wise I allways come out ahead.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's why you negotiate, and never pay sticker price, or anywhere close to it.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
That's why you negotiate, and never pay sticker price, or anywhere close to it.
I went to test drive a tundra today, yesterday for you people who sleep at night. Anyway, after playing a round of four square, I just settle. Right before we leave he says, "don't forget to bring the title for the trade-in." I say, "what? I thought the trade in wasn't part of the deal?" He says that that was the $1000 he got off the price was the trade-in incentive. So instead of $1000 off the price and $1000 added to the trade, one of them evaporated in the process.

If they were offering a $1000 trade in incentive, why the he!! did I spend all that time negoating? They basically wanted me to pay sticker! I walked out of there.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Guys, it isn't personal. The dealer will steal your money if you let him. Buying a vehicle is like any other informed purchase. You shop around for the best price with the most options. You find a dealer, examine the product, make an offer and see what they say. It is the same for buying a new TV, freezer, or truck. It really helps if you know about the product before you go. The dealer will always skew the information to favor their product. Don't be emotional. There are thousands of trucks and dealers out there. I never take it home the same day. I never close the deal the same day either. I shop 4-5 dealers. It usually takes 2-3 days but you get an idea who really wants your business. Find the fleet salesman. They are used to volume sales and less profit per unit. Lastly, buy only what you need in the truck at the time. I bought an 07' DC with bucket seats, night mirror and floor mats. I added, after I got it home, underseat storage, door sill protection, bedliner, and ss exhaust tip. Since most of us can't afford to pay cash for this cool truck, keep the amount as little as possible to finance. All the dealer hype and accessories just rob you of accessory money for later. Don't be pissed at the dealer. We all know they are sharks. Do you hold against crocodlies the fact they will shred you in a hot minute? No. So dealers are just a necessary evil when purchasing a new vehicle. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Guys, it isn't personal. The dealer will steal your money if you let him. Buying a vehicle is like any other informed purchase. You shop around for the best price with the most options. You find a dealer, examine the product, make an offer and see what they say. It is the same for buying a new TV, freezer, or truck. It really helps if you know about the product before you go. The dealer will always skew the information to favor their product. Don't be emotional. There are thousands of trucks and dealers out there. I never take it home the same day. I never close the deal the same day either. I shop 4-5 dealers. It usually takes 2-3 days but you get an idea who really wants your business. Find the fleet salesman. They are used to volume sales and less profit per unit. Lastly, buy only what you need in the truck at the time. I bought an 07' DC with bucket seats, night mirror and floor mats. I added, after I got it home, underseat storage, door sill protection, bedliner, and ss exhaust tip. Since most of us can't afford to pay cash for this cool truck, keep the amount as little as possible to finance. All the dealer hype and accessories just rob you of accessory money for later. Don't be pissed at the dealer. We all know they are sharks. Do you hold against crocodlies the fact they will shred you in a hot minute? No. So dealers are just a necessary evil when purchasing a new vehicle. Good luck.
now that was an awesome post. I wish they gave awards for great post. Nice job.

Since when is it a crime for a business to try to make money? No one is forcing you to pay for that BS, so dont. As my good friend Erik says, shop around, do your research and buy your car online and you shouldnt have to deal with this crap.

But wouldnt you want to sell your house for as much as you can get for it? Nothing wrong with a dealer trying to make as much as they can. There is something very wrong with someone actually paying for it though.

Just offer a dealer something fair and you should always be ok. If not, go some place else

·
Registered
324 Posts
now that was an awesome post. I wish they gave awards for great post. Nice job.

Since when is it a crime for a business to try to make money? No one is forcing you to pay for that BS, so dont. As my good friend Erik says, shop around, do your research and buy your car online and you shouldnt have to deal with this crap.

But wouldnt you want to sell your house for as much as you can get for it? Nothing wrong with a dealer trying to make as much as they can. There is something very wrong with someone actually paying for it though.

Just offer a dealer something fair and you should always be ok. If not, go some place else

In my previous post, I used the term "most". Meaning, in my experience,(and I've been heavily involved in the motorsports/auto world for most of my life) dealerships/salesmen will do just about anything to sell the general public items /add-ons etc. that they don't need and ,in some cases, don't want. Of course, no one is holding a gun to your head, but "MOST" people don't have the luxury or knowledge to do the work themselves or in many cases know better. Dealerships clearly take advantage of this fact. If your well informed, know the buisness and have a strong constitution, you will propably be ok. I personally got a slammin' deal(I even talked em' down $800 on a truck they swore they couldn't budge on), but only because I know my sh*t and was more than willing to walk away, which I did. I'm not the world's greatest negotiator, but you have to be able to see above & beyond they're game. They knew I was serious & that if they worked with me they would sell a truck. Not only did they call me 2 days later, but the sales manager personally came & picked me up to have another look. My personal sales guy actually ended up being a fairly decent guy and I've since sent some buisness his way. However, he was still a game player and if I hadn't been aware, I could have easily fallen for some of his snake oil tactics. After 4 hours of what I would pay and what I would not, it was in prep & ready to go. Now keep in mind, this wasn't some budget backwoods dealer desperate for a sale. This was Frontier Toyota(highest in sales in Southern CA), & they had just completed a $22M makeover. The point is this, dealerships prey on YOUR desire. Yes, the choices are up to you, but in the end, your only real friend in buying a new vehicle(or used) is YOU. To the decent sales people out there, no offense. However, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. ok, I'm done. Tundras, woo hoo!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with SFTundraMan. Excellent post! I may print this one and frame it!
Well said, TX RN! :tu:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi everyone,
Two weeks ago I test drove a Double cab 4x4 5.7 NON TRD Tundra. The truck was great, however I want the TRD and I hated the color. Well in any event the sticker on the truck was $34,500. Well on Sat I stop by the same dealer and they still have the truck sitting there, but now the truck is selling for $39,500 because on the "dealer add-on's", what you ask..... $3,000 for "TRD tires and wheels", $1,000 for LoJack, $500 for XM radio, and $500 for an exhaust tip. This makes me so angry that they are doing this to people.

Zack

I dont see a problem here. You did not buy it initially. The dealer then tacked on extras to the truck and charged the going rate for the extras. Where is the theft here??

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
In my previous post, I used the term "most". Meaning, in my experience,(and I've been heavily involved in the motorsports/auto world for most of my life) dealerships/salesmen will do just about anything to sell the general public items /add-ons etc. that they don't need and ,in some cases, don't want. Of course, no one is holding a gun to your head, but "MOST" people don't have the luxury or knowledge to do the work themselves or in many cases know better. Dealerships clearly take advantage of this fact. If your well informed, know the buisness and have a strong constitution, you will propably be ok. I personally got a slammin' deal(I even talked em' down $800 on a truck they swore they couldn't budge on), but only because I know my sh*t and was more than willing to walk away, which I did. I'm not the world's greatest negotiator, but you have to be able to see above & beyond they're game. They knew I was serious & that if they worked with me they would sell a truck. Not only did they call me 2 days later, but the sales manager personally came & picked me up to have another look. My personal sales guy actually ended up being a fairly decent guy and I've since sent some buisness his way. However, he was still a game player and if I hadn't been aware, I could have easily fallen for some of his snake oil tactics. After 4 hours of what I would pay and what I would not, it was in prep & ready to go. Now keep in mind, this wasn't some budget backwoods dealer desperate for a sale. This was Frontier Toyota(highest in sales in Southern CA), & they had just completed a $22M makeover. The point is this, dealerships prey on YOUR desire. Yes, the choices are up to you, but in the end, your only real friend in buying a new vehicle(or used) is YOU. To the decent sales people out there, no offense. However, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. ok, I'm done. Tundras, woo hoo!!!
of course there are bad salesman and bad dealerships. But there are also bad customers.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So dealers are just a necessary evil when purchasing a new vehicle. Good luck.
bullsh*t, that's like saying insurance company's are a neccessary evil will they deny a valid claim, raise rates for no "real" reason or refuse to do the "right thing" when appropriate. Dealerships are an unnecessary evil by they're own choice. btw, luck has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
If you think that dealerships are unnecessary, then you probably don't feel the need to take a test drive or ever take your truck back for anything. Vehicles, for the most part, don't sell themselves - they need to be sold. However, anyone who has to be sold something is going to end up paying the salesman more for his or her time.

I have a deposit on a CrewMax but have never driven one nor sat inside one. I went to a dealership once after hours to look at the new Tundras and went once in the day to sit in a DC for a little bit after telling the salesman that I was only there to sit there for a little bit.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
My initial offer was invoice + $500. He came back and said I got you $1000. It was not invoice + $1000 (which I may have taken right there) but MSRP - $1000.

The truck was a pyrite DC with nothing but Bucket seats and tow mirrors. I think it had a sliding rear window too. The truck + ESP came out to 31K, then they'd give me $500 for my Mazda plus a $1000 trade-in incentive. No deal! They made it look like he took $1000 off the price of the truck when it was actually the trade-in incentive.

I am a firm believer in buying the bare minimum then adding what you want later. Buying the upgrades later without paying interest on them for 60months is a big savings.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My initial offer was invoice + $500. He came back and said I got you $1000. It was not invoice + $1000 (which I may have taken right there) but MSRP - $1000.

The truck was a pyrite DC with nothing but Bucket seats and tow mirrors. I think it had a sliding rear window too. The truck + ESP came out to 31K, then they'd give me $500 for my Mazda plus a $1000 trade-in incentive. No deal! They made it look like he took $1000 off the price of the truck when it was actually the trade-in incentive.

I am a firm believer in buying the bare minimum then adding what you want later. Buying the upgrades later without paying interest on them for 60months is a big savings.
I went to Toyota's web site and built my own truck the way I wanted it and at the end it gives the option to send the profile out to local dealers.
I went a head and did it and every one of the responses came back with 2-3k lower than MSRP.
The next thing I did is went to consumer reports and printed a "New vehicle price report" (costs 14 bucks) and it shows what the factory charges the dealer for the truck and accessories.
I then calced out my truck the way I built it from the web. My cost from the factoy was around 1500 to 2000 lower than the quotes I got. Bottom line I know the dealer has to make money and with the offers I got they were making about 5-7% on the truck.
Bottom line is that there are tools available for you to make an educated purchase. Use em and save some cash.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont see a problem here. You did not buy it initially. The dealer then tacked on extras to the truck and charged the going rate for the extras. Where is the theft here??

Going rate are you serious? $500 for an exhaust tip (not the entire exhaust, just the tip!!), $1,000 for LoJack? NOT the going rate!

Zack

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you think that dealerships are unnecessary, then you probably don't feel the need to take a test drive or ever take your truck back for anything. Vehicles, for the most part, don't sell themselves - they need to be sold. However, anyone who has to be sold something is going to end up paying the salesman more for his or her time.
you've completely missed the point.

I have a deposit on a CrewMax but have never driven one nor sat inside one. I went to a dealership once after hours to look at the new Tundras and went once in the day to sit in a DC for a little bit after telling the salesman that I was only there to sit there for a little bit.
?????what?????

·
Registered
324 Posts
Do you hold against crocodlies the fact they will shred you in a hot minute?
I usually assume, that sales people have a bit more free will than say, a crocodile. If your implying they act only on instinct, I'd say your doing them a bit of a diservice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The next thing I did is went to consumer reports and printed a "New vehicle price report" (costs 14 bucks) and it shows what the factory charges the dealer for the truck and accessories.

Edmunds.com shows invoice vs MSRP for free.
Just build the truck, and plug in your zip.
The dealers hate it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Salesmen lie. But you know what. Consumers lie as well. It's an inside joke between sales staff that the best liars are customers. Car salesmen get a bad rap because of the pressure they are put under to move vehicles. Selling cars is a buyers market. Anyone can go anywhere to buy a car. You don't have to buy at any one dealership, so sales staff are trained to keep you there and wear you down. If you leave with a bad taste in your mouth, it's because the salesman was probably good at what he does, keeping you there longer than you planned on. That's their job.

If you want good advice on purchasing a car, get your saturday newpaper out and clip out one of those "teaser" ads for the vehicle you want. Then take it to the other 2 or 3 dealers in town and tell them to beat that price. One of them is going to take it. I've bought cars like that all my life. There's nothing better than hearing over and over that they lost a few $$ on that sale, but it's the end of the month and they had to move a few more vehicles.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts