Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my dealership today.

I asked a business manager if it was possible to get an extended warranty when the powertrain warranty ends.

She told me it was possible.

My truck is leased and she suggested if I want to buy it out at the end that would be a good time to get an extended warranty.

They she said it might make more sense to terminate my lease now and get a new truck.

There were about six 2007s on the lot and of course they were having a sale.

Assuming I could get the same monthly payments, do you think it would be worth it to get an 07?

I'd probably get the Reg cab 4x4, and when I checked online it said the payments were about the same.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
187 Posts
About the same or are the same? They are two different things.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About the same or are the same? They are two different things.
Well I'd have to get them to deal a bit.

The base model would be $5.00 per month more, but I would want the B package, which is $60 more per month without any haggling.

Plus I'd want them to throw in a Line-X liner like they did last time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I'd have to get them to deal a bit.

The base model would be $5.00 per month more, but I would want the B package, which is $60 more per month without any haggling.

Plus I'd want them to throw in a Line-X liner like they did last time.
go for it, if it was me I'd look at the crew max and compare your payments to see how much more that beast would be that truck looks badass

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
go for it, if it was me I'd look at the crew max and compare your payments to see how much more that beast would be that truck looks badass
I'd consider the DC, but not the Crew max, too much cab, not enough bed.

I've taken a good look at the reg cab, there's lots of space behind the back seat, I'm thinking I wouldn't even need the DC.

I have an AC now and rarely have people in the back seat, its mostly used for storage.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Be careful when a rep says they can keep your payment the same. You need to calculate how many payments you have left on your truck, and multiply it out. Then calculate how many new payments are on the deal they are offering.

It's not a deal if you have 6 payments of $500 left on your truck, and they are offering the new truck to you for $560 on 84 months. You would now be in debt an extra $44,040. That's a nice down payments on a house. ;)

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'd consider the DC, but not the Crew max, too much cab, not enough bed.

I've taken a good look at the reg cab, there's lots of space behind the back seat, I'm thinking I wouldn't even need the DC.

I have an AC now and rarely have people in the back seat, its mostly used for storage.
I have an 05 Access Cab. Adults won't fit in the back seat. I use it with the seats up and store and carry stuff in the back. Two weeks ago the local dealership had a shindig introducing the 07 Tundras. The regular cab impressed me. You have plenty of room to move the seats to be comfortable, and the factory rep said the rear storage space was designed to hold 5 gallon buckets. Golfers could put their clubs back there. Also you could get an eight foot bed. Add the 5.7 engine and it would be tempting.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be careful when a rep says they can keep your payment the same. You need to calculate how many payments you have left on your truck, and multiply it out. Then calculate how many new payments are on the deal they are offering.

It's not a deal if you have 6 payments of $500 left on your truck, and they are offering the new truck to you for $560 on 84 months. You would now be in debt an extra $44,040. That's a nice down payments on a house. ;)
Very true, I've been thinking about that.

My options are to return the lease and get another one, in which case there's really no difference, its just an ongoing payment. The benefit being that I won't have to pay for added mileage this time around (I know I'm going to be over) and I'm going to need to put some money into maintaining it soon. New brakes are a must in the next couple months.

My other option is to keep it until the end of the lease, and buy it out, which is what I've been planning on doing.

Or

I could simply arrange financing now so I can buy it before the lease runs out.

Decisions, decisions.

That being said, a 2007 would be nice.

And the 5.7! It needs a name, like the Hemi.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Buy out your truck at the end of the lease and drive it 'till the wheels fall off or you die....whichever comes first!

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buy out your truck at the end of the lease and drive it 'till the wheels fall off or you die....whichever comes first!
I could do that with the 07 too, and the tires would burn off that much faster because of the 5.7.:devil:

·
Registered
251 Posts
My other option is to keep it until the end of the lease, and buy it out, which is what I've been planning on doing.
Just curious, when the dealer wants you to terminate your lease on your current Tundra, do they just want your keys?? Or are they buying your truck at book value and giving you the positive equity? My wife and I went through the same thing last year with our Lincoln, she was in three year lease (two years in) and wanted to upgrade her lease. Ford waived the early termination fee, gave us Kelly Blue Book on the trade minus the years worth of lease payments (just like we bought it early) and put the positive equity towards the new lease, thus lowering the payments. Just curious, it worked out pretty good for us except that we own another Ford lol.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just curious, when the dealer wants you to terminate your lease on your current Tundra, do they just want your keys?? Or are they buying your truck at book value and giving you the positive equity? My wife and I went through the same thing last year with our Lincoln, she was in three year lease (two years in) and wanted to upgrade her lease. Ford waived the early termination fee, gave us Kelly Blue Book on the trade minus the years worth of lease payments (just like we bought it early) and put the positive equity towards the new lease, thus lowering the payments. Just curious, it worked out pretty good for us except that we own another Ford lol.
Good points.

I haven't actually sat down with the leasing manager yet. He's going to work it all out on paper so I can see exactly where I stand at present and how things will play out.

I'm still leaning toward keeping this truck, it still runs great, I haven't had any major problems with it.

At this point I'm averaging 1651 miles per month. If nothing changes, I'll have about 132,000 miles on the truck by the time its paid off, assuming I continue with the lease then finance the buyback. If the truck is 7 years old with 140k, I figure that's a truck that going to last a lot longer. To me it would be worth keeping.

My last truck had 217,000 miles on it when I got rid of it, and it was still running. And it was a Ford! The Toyota should be fine...barely broken in lol.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Plus ya can't forget the bonus. the wonderful canopy ya just installed!

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
may have to go with 2 x 12's though!

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
may have to go with 2 x 12's though!
Well, if its the 8 foot bed, I'll have to make up a foot and a half.

I just can't decide if I want to get rid of my beloved 04.

I'm not hard to please, it has to be the 5.7, because that big beast with a 4.7 would probably be a dog.

I wonder if I could talk them into painting it green with a big "5.7 HULK" on the tailgate. Maybe with a pic of the Hulk tearing a hole through the metal with a really angry face.

Is that asking too much?

·
Registered
399 Posts
The 07 regular cab 2wd with the 5.7 looks tempting..i wanna trade in my 05,but with the Donahoes and Camburg UCAs i dont wanna get taken for my ***....besides, if i were to spend that much, it would be for an FJ 4X4 with the 6 speed

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 07 regular cab 2wd with the 5.7 looks tempting..i wanna trade in my 05,but with the Donahoes and Camburg UCAs i dont wanna get taken for my ***....besides, if i were to spend that much, it would be for an FJ 4X4 with the 6 speed
I work in construction, so I need the bed, if not I'd consider an SUV.

I'll definitely get the 4x4 5.7, if they make me the right deal.

I checked to see how my insurance would be affected, looks like it will be an additional $9.00 per month. I can live with that. The better mileage could mean it won't cost me anything.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just thought of something, before I go into the dealership, I better get a tape recorder or maybe a tiny video camera.

Dave Peters would be proud of me.

and if they sell me exactly what I want....I'LL SUE!!

LMAO!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts