Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advise from you fellow tundra owners. I have a '06, double cab, SR5 with 7000 miles. A week ago I took into my Toyota dealer to get the recall done. While they had it they backed it into a light pole. They hit it so hard that the wrapped the bumper around into the fender and buckled it above the wheel well, as well as, pushing the fender into the tailgate. All they have agreed to do is fix the damage ($2000). When I push them this is what they offered.
1) For $4350 difference they will put me into an '07.
2) They will turn it over to their insurance company for me to fight with.
3) They will agree to buy back my truck for NADA blue book value anytime in the future that I want to sell it.

I really feel that since my truck has been wrecked it is not worth what it was worth before. What do you fellow Tundra owners think and should I take one of their offers?

Thanks for any advise because I am mad about it and I don't think that the dealer is being fair with me with only 7000 miles on it.

Terry

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I need some advise from you fellow tundra owners. I have a '06, double cab, SR5 with 7000 miles. A week ago I took into my Toyota dealer to get the recall done. While they had it they backed it into a light pole. They hit it so hard that the wrapped the bumper around into the fender and buckled it above the wheel well, as well as, pushing the fender into the tailgate. All they have agreed to do is fix the damage ($2000). When I push them this is what they offered.
3) They will agree to buy back my truck for NADA blue book value anytime in the future that I want to sell it.

I really feel that since my truck has been wrecked it is not worth what it was worth before. What do you fellow Tundra owners think and should I take one of their offers?

Thanks for any advise because I am mad about it and I don't think that the dealer is being fair with me with only 7000 miles on it.

Terry

I would make them order and install a brand new complete bed, bumper and anything else damaged. I would NOT allow them to repair anything. With this done the value of your truck will not be affected. Sounds like they are willing to work with you and I would do the same if I were in your shoes. I think if hits the insurance companies you will be forced to drive a bondo riddled truck.

If they are willing to pay 2k to fix yours or sell you a 07 for 4,350k, wonder if they will take 2k off the 07 leaving you out of pocket for 2,350k? Sounds like the dealer looses nothing if you give up 4,350
k.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are right and I tried to tell them that they are losing nothing and they tell me that they are going above by giving me back the $24000 I paid for the truck but they can set it on their lot and sell it for $28000. I am taking the hit and it is costing them nothing. I also told them that I wanted no bondo on my truck and their body shop assured me that they were replacing all the parts and not bondo or repair.

Terry

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
If you can get a Crewmax for $4350 comparably equipped as your 06 and get them to give you the 5.7 I would go for it. I think that would be a great deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to get that and I would go for that but they would only give me a double cab and a 4.7 liter. Like I told them they are giving me nothing.:mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok Sorry to hear of your troubles but here is some food for thought.
1.You do NOT have to allow them to do the repairs.
2. Turn it over to your insurance and let them get you a rental until it is solved.
3. Retain an attorney on your own seperate from both the insureance company and the dealership, and let him negotiate in your best interest.
4. Refer all inquiries to your attorney and let him answer for you to all parties.

You may to threaten a superior court lawsuit in order to get satisfaction.
But you can bet that a hit that hard probably bent the frame, and did damage to the rear diff, brakes, and fuel system. I would settle for nothing less than full replacement of those parts and a complete inspection of the vehicle from an independant 3rd party, that they will have to pay for. Factory replacement parts only.

Les

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Well, you could always take one of their 07s out for a test drive and wrap it around a light post to see how they like it. :D Seriously, I would make them make it right for you whatever it takes. Reputation in the car business means a lot. I am looking for an 07 and if they do not take care of you I will definately cross them off my list. Are they the dealer in your personal profile?

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Please let us in on which dealer it was! I'm in Tulsa also. I think I can guess, but wouldn't want to.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Ok Sorry to hear of your troubles but here is some food for thought.
1.You do NOT have to allow them to do the repairs.
2. Turn it over to your insurance and let them get you a rental until it is solved.
3. Retain an attorney on your own seperate from both the insureance company and the dealership, and let him negotiate in your best interest.
4. Refer all inquiries to your attorney and let him answer for you to all parties.

You may to threaten a superior court lawsuit in order to get satisfaction.
But you can bet that a hit that hard probably bent the frame, and did damage to the rear diff, brakes, and fuel system. I would settle for nothing less than full replacement of those parts and a complete inspection of the vehicle from an independant 3rd party, that they will have to pay for. Factory replacement parts only.

Les
Darn shame.

Les is right here. Forget their deals if they will not give you what you want.

Turn it over to your insurance company as a start and go from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it is the dealer in my profile (Jim Norton Toyota). About suing them I ran into this when I had a Toyota truck t-boned with 724 miles on it. According to Oklahoma law all they are required to do is repair the vehicle. Therefore, the would not give me a new truck for my badly damaged 724 mile truck. I took it to my attorney and he told me that I would not win.:mad:

Oklahoma needs to change this law because we get stuck and the insurance companies makes out great.

As for frame damage I was told that it was not bent and that all it crunched was the bumper and fender. It did not even bend the inner liner. The repair shop said they would give me a lifetime warranty on the repair and they were going to use all new parts.

Thanks for the responses and I hope the you guys will tell the dealership what you think of them.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes it is the dealer in my profile (Jim Norton Toyota). About suing them I ran into this when I had a Toyota truck t-boned with 724 miles on it. According to Oklahoma law all they are required to do is repair the vehicle. Therefore, the would not give me a new truck for my badly damaged 724 mile truck. I took it to my attorney and he told me that I would not win.:mad:

Oklahoma needs to change this law because we get stuck and the insurance companies makes out great.

As for frame damage I was told that it was not bent and that all it crunched was the bumper and fender. It did not even bend the inner liner. The repair shop said they would give me a lifetime warranty on the repair and they were going to use all new parts.

Thanks for the responses and I hope the you guys will tell the dealership what you think of them.

When they say "new parts" request copies of the invoices. This will show that they used new parts, not...new to you parts. Even if they say well we can not do that becuse you will see the prices, tell them to black out the prices. Atleast you see that they are either from a junkyard or Toyota. Talk to the dealer and ask for an 07 Tundra loaner while yours is being repaired, and you need a truck for "work". When you do get it back, check the paint, if you can see a line of old paint where it meets new paint reject it. When I had my door repainted they had to paint from the headlight to the bed to blend in the paint. I did and do not see any seams on the paint. I feel for you, my dealer would have told me that it was like that when I brought it in. I would also request an extened warranty from the dealer. As for them buying back your truck for NADA, make sure you get it in writing and signed by atleast the general manager but try to get the owner to sign it. It would suck that 5 years from now you go to the dealer and they say this guy does not work here any more sorry no deal. Also make sure that you do not need to purchase a car/truck from that dealer for them to buy it back. The best would clearly state that you do not need to trade your truck it for NADA, but give you the NADA in cash/check.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Very familiar, a dealer wrecked my Dodge Diesel truck, (one year old at the time) in Texas. They fixed it but it was never right after that. Having had this experience I would opt for the trade.

Good luck and God bless all the victims.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I wouldn't want that vehicle anymore. I'd tell them you want full blue book value for the truck, and you want money off a new one!

·
LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!
1,267 Posts

Terry
Dude, that seriously sucks eggs (plus more). What I'd do is simple;
1. DON'T Buy anything from them. Tell them because of their screw up, you won't buy, or trade there, again. Not unless you absolutely, positively have too.
2. Report it as a hit-and-run or however necessary. Tell your insurance company what happened and let them deal with it.
3. Tell them if they want to put you in a new 2007 Tundra it will be for a $1000 difference. Not a damn penny more.
4. If they don't want to fix it, and fix it not only right but how you want it, then get an attorney. NEVER threaten or indicate you are doing so, just do it.

I'm sorry that happened. I know someone who had their truck dropped off of a hoist. The dealership was nice to him and had his truck fixed and put him in a rental at NO charge for the duration of the repairs. But the same dealership screwed up on my Tundra, and as such, lost me as a customer and my family as well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Call your insurance company and tell them the story. Insurance companies can be vicious! Did you have GAP insurance?

·
Registered
220 Posts

Terry
If my truck was partly repainted, I'd never be able to handle it because it will NEVER match 100% to the rest of the truck, I don't care how good the painter is.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Now take everything I type with a grain of ????? whatever would ya.

So someone had a horrible day a work a screwed the pooch on a custemers vehic.... his boss is doing what he can to make you happy.
If it is comming down to them replacing all the dammaged parts and being in your debt as to when you want to trade in your truck.....

Are you a fashion or function guy?
Bending a stock bumper enough to have it hit the truck, is a hard as meeting a girl in a bar. (ASSUMING ONE IS NOT FREQUENTING THE "TOOL BOX")
Stock bumpers seem just stout enough to dammage the trucks they are on, and do nothing to what they hit.

They want to fix your truck.

The paint may not match 100% from bed to cab BFD, will you be using a 1,000,000 cp light to find the differances, once it is muddy will you really ever notice?

If these are the things that keep you up at night, admit you're a bit A 'type and get a new truck for piece of mind, if not then let them try to make it right for you.

My truck gets used as a truck and not a show piece, washed once a month and the inside gets a good hosing out too.

These are just my thoughts, lots more in life to stress over than a chunk of metal I throw money at every month, and plan on replacing every6-10 years.

Repo

·
Registered
203 Posts
Now take everything I type with a grain of ????? whatever would ya.

So someone had a horrible day a work a screwed the pooch on a custemers vehic.... his boss is doing what he can to make you happy.
If it is comming down to them replacing all the dammaged parts and being in your debt as to when you want to trade in your truck.....

Are you a fashion or function guy?
Bending a stock bumper enough to have it hit the truck, is a hard as meeting a girl in a bar. (ASSUMING ONE IS NOT FREQUENTING THE "TOOL BOX")
Stock bumpers seem just stout enough to dammage the trucks they are on, and do nothing to what they hit.

They want to fix your truck.

The paint may not match 100% from bed to cab BFD, will you be using a 1,000,000 cp light to find the differances, once it is muddy will you really ever notice?

If these are the things that keep you up at night, admit you're a bit A 'type and get a new truck for piece of mind, if not then let them try to make it right for you.

My truck gets used as a truck and not a show piece, washed once a month and the inside gets a good hosing out too.

These are just my thoughts, lots more in life to stress over than a chunk of metal I throw money at every month, and plan on replacing every6-10 years.

Repo

I agree, it's just a truck. If it bothers you to know its been repaired, get another truck (maybe the dealer can still find a '06, if that is what you want). Sorry to hear about the bad luck though, I would be pretty upset myself!

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I would get an attorney.:mad: That is just wrong, so wrong. I am so sorry that that happened. I would be very upset too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts