Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just had my 5,000 mile service done on my Tundra at the dealership this weekend. I noticed on the invoice that they put in an oil additive (Wynns). The invoice shows Supreme Power + oil additive $7.95 I don’t know what Supreme Power is, maybe it’s the name of the Wynns oil additive? Do you guys think this is necessary or are they just taking more money from me? Has anyone else’s dealer put in an oil additive? I’m just concerned that this may doing more harm than good. Thanks for your input/opinions on this subject.:tu:
Jeff

·
Registered
848 Posts
well if they used supreme power oil they probally put the wrong oil in your car... you should be using 0w20 full synthetic and yeah the oil additive is a waste of money

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stripped,
Thanks for your reply. The invoice says 8-5w20 Drums 2.53ea 20.24 total. Then on another line it says 1 Supreme Power + oil additive 7.95ea 7.95total. So I think they put in 5w20 non-synthetic. Thanks for your input.
Jeff

·
Registered
848 Posts
just as a little tip i was complaining about my fuel mileage when i first got my truck and after i did my first oil change with 0w20 my fuel mileage jumped 4 mpg .. so i think if were you i would ask for the 0w20 from now on ..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Make em do the oil change again.... new filter included....if they added that sh*t to my truck with out my consent, I'd have beat em with the old filter....idiots...:mad:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Agree with the above post. If they aren't smart enough or have the ability to read the owners manual and haven't attended any service meetings for the new tundra then they are screwing up your ride. Not only would I have them replace the oil and filter, but I would also start collecting neccessary tools to care for your oil changes at home where they are done right. I would bet those jokers don't use the recommended oil 0W-20, but they say they do.

·
Registered
764 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Nope. Nowhere in my posting does the word 5W-30 appear. I specified 5W-20 and 0W-20. Are you confusing me with Crawfjh who was the thread originator and listed 5W-30 in the title of the original thread along with questions about it? If so it's an honest mistake. My posting effectively rebuffs using 5W-30.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Okay, how was the visit otherwise? Did they have free coffee and donuts? Internet access? Nice TV waiting area? Free loaners? Do they wash the vehicle for free?

Yesterday, my wife was teasing me that I won't be happy with toyota service standards. Did Lexus spoil me?

·
Registered
435 Posts
This is why I quit going to dealers for service. On ten different visits you'll likely get ten different ways of them handling it, ten different parts or materials and ten different experiences - in spite of it being there for the same needed service. In the string about oil one guy said his dealership forgot to tighten a bolt on his underplate, and they also skipped an O-ring and used an air wrench to tighten it so hard he couldn't get it off. I watched in horror once as I got out and allowed a technician to ease my truck into the shop and he ran my front bumper into a brick wall. I also caught them putting the wrong oil in an older truck I had. Keep in mind that while you're in the guest lobby/waiting room relaxing and flipping through a magazine they could be doing ANYTHING to your truck, and it just might be the wrong thing - or at least not what you wanted done.

One other thing to consider about those invoices. They are all printed to indicate that correct parts or oil was used, but I'll wager anyone here that if you walk out into the service bay each time you go in for service you'll find them - at least once in a while - using different oil than what the invoice says. Keep in mind that invoice is pre-written by the office lady and prints out the same for each customer, but out in the shop they are putting in the wrong weight oil in some poor fellow's truck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the responses to my post. I am going to try and change my oil from this point on. I've never changed oil before so I'm a little intimidated because I don't know anything about trucks. Also the cost of the 5,000 mile service was 83.84 with a 12.00 coupon.:eek: Thats crazy. With the help from you guys on here I think I will be able to do it. Thanks again.
Jeff

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thanks for the responses to my post. I am going to try and change my oil from this point on. I've never changed oil before so I'm a little intimidated because I don't know anything about trucks. Also the cost of the 5,000 mile service was 83.84 with a 12.00 coupon.:eek: Thats crazy. With the help from you guys on here I think I will be able to do it. Thanks again.
Jeff
Did they do anything else or just the oil/filter? $96 seems pretty high for an oil change!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts