Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a Tundra 4x4 CrewMax Limited Platinum Edition black on black.

They are telling me that the price they have is below MSRP Price and it is $47,587, and MSRP is 48,0687. They are not willing to work out a deal with me because I live in Alaska and they are the only dealership up here.

Here is what the sales person told me "You can not get the TMV of this truck because we are in Alaska, you must know that Alaska is different and everything cost more up here so the trucks cost more. This is a great deal because this is already below MSRP price."

Do you guys believe that is true or is this sales person just not the right one to talk to? He knows I want to buy a truck but hes not willing to negotiate a price with me and he keeps on bringing up that we live in Alaska and that his "bosses" will say no to all my offers and they are giving me the best deals...

Anyone has any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I don't live in Alaska so I don't know. There are a few guys that do live in Alaska here, I'm sure they'll chime in. That price does sound about right for a 2010 Platinum though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, about the only way they can justify their price is to look at the destination charge, which is shipping the truck up from where the Tundra is manufactured, but that shouldn't add that much more to the price.

Edmunds TMV reflects location, so if they are far off from that, they are pulling your chain. Of course supply and demand comes into play and being the only dealer, they can charge what they want. If it's way high, fly to WA state, buy one there and drive it home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the TMV was for alaska, I printed it out and showed him but he didn't bother to look at it... Just wondering what the price that you guys are getting for your limited platinum?

thanks for all inputs and i might do what you say mmasz

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't know if this would work out for you, but have you looked at buying from a dealership in the Northwest and flying there to buy it. Would it be enough of a cost difference for you to fly there and get a better discount on the truck? I have no problem doing that if it I can save money in the process. I had to go 3 states over to get my wife's car because it was the best price in the whole midwest. And, I bought my tundra in Kentucky because it was the only used one in a 5-state radius when I was looking. Not nearly the distance you would probably have to go, but just another option to look elsewhere. I almost bought a new Tundra Crewmax from a dealership in South Dakota. They were willing to drive it to Ohio and take my car in trade and drive that car back. Almost did it, but ended up getting the one in Kentucky instead.

Bill

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I don't know if this would work out for you, but have you looked at buying from a dealership in the Northwest and flying there to buy it. Would it be enough of a cost difference for you to fly there and get a better discount on the truck? I have no problem doing that if it I can save money in the process. I had to go 3 states over to get my wife's car because it was the best price in the whole midwest. And, I bought my tundra in Kentucky because it was the only used one in a 5-state radius when I was looking. Not nearly the distance you would probably have to go, but just another option to look elsewhere. I almost bought a new Tundra Crewmax from a dealership in South Dakota. They were willing to drive it to Ohio and take my car in trade and drive that car back. Almost did it, but ended up getting the one in Kentucky instead.

Bill

^ this!!!

Easy enough to get a better deal elsewhere......heck, I went 2.000 miles to get mine.

Just have to figure out total cost(s) involved and if you don't mind the "possible" snotty attitude when you bring your truck in for service.

Are there rebates on Tundras right now???

As far as my 100% subjective feeling.........I would never accept $500 off MSRP; maybe $500 over invoice.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I agree with Who1975 --- last month, I drove down to Cleveland from Detroit (3.5 hours), passing-over at least 20 closer dealerships, to find the best price. I can't comment on the pricing for the Platinum, since I was never considering one, but do a search, or call some dealers that are "close" to you outside of Alaska.... see if they can find one, and work out a price over the phone. I know Alaska is huge, and that you may have a considerable drive time. But, if you don't mind paying a couple hundred bucks for a plane ticket, and then putting the mileage on your truck right-away.... you may be able to save a few grand.

All comes down to how bad u want it, and for what price.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
move out of that weird state and come join the 48 that are connected together and it wont be an issue :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I traded in a 2007 limited for a 2010 platinum in Oct. 2009. It is a 4x4 balck with graphite interior or gray/black/wood interior. My deal sheet summary is this;
MSRP$47,767.00
Dealer price: $44,767
Rebate: $3000
Price:$42,500.00
Trade in value: $25,000.00 (which is above KBB trade in value)
This is in Texas, and I have shopped around "nearby" dealerships (100-400 miles away) and They know that I will walk away if they do not beat the lowest offer. I was only able to get them $500 lower that the best quote. They had to get the truck from another dealership or from Gulf states toyota. The truck has 13 miles on the odometer when I drove it out. It may not be the best deal, but I am satisfied with it since I do not have to drive.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
^^I think what he payed is more in line with what you should be able to get. Plus looks like incentives are 2500 or 0 APR. I'd tell him that you plan on buying a truck and where you buy it is up for grabs. I would definitely be contacting some dealers in Washington to see what deals they can work out. Good luck and let is know how it works out.

·
Registered
916 Posts
FWIW, I bought a DC 3 weeks ago and paid $1600 BELOW the Edmonds.com "invoice" price. I have about 8 Toyota dealers within 50 miles of me, so they were willing to negotiate. Your dealer can go lower... sounds like they know they are the only game in town and you have to either pay their price or be willing to travel a long distance.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Road trip!!

·
Registered
918 Posts
What the salesman told you is only true if you agree with the price and buy it.

Concur with road trip. Also, have a civilized sit down with the salesman. Tell him you're serious and ready to buy. Get a manager in the room. Figure out YOUR price that you want the truck for, no low-ball, no games, no more negotiating. Tell them if they can't meet it, it's road trip time for you. If they say no-go, thank them for their time, tell them you're sorry you couldn't get a deal done, and you'll be doing a bit of traveling to buy your truck. Make sure they have your contact info. Tell them you are prepared to leave town within a week and will be coming back with a truck. If you get any phone calls in the mean time and they agree to your number, you'll be back. But your price is firm, you're not interested in a half way point or another few hundred off for good will. You will return to the dealership again only to sign papers and pick up the vehicle, but not to negotiate any further. Get up and leave.

If you get no calls back, go find your truck elsewhere.

The longer you argue the matter, the more they think they'll eventually talk you into paying their price because you obviously want it from them so badly that you'll keep trying until you give in and pay their price. Or else when they think you're at your breaking point they will finally relent just a tiny bit and find you that extra five hundred or a thousand bucks that'll make you say 'good enough, I'll take it.'

My last truck, I wanted a leftover 03 in mid 04. The only one left was in Rhode Island. I shopped near Philly. I asked them for the number to the dealership in Rhode Island so I could call and convince them to hold the truck for me. Told them I was off that weekend anyway and would drive a few hundred miles for a 4000 dollar rebate. All of a sudden they found enough money in the deal to get me a price for any comparable 04 on their lot that equaled what I would have paid with the higher rebates on 03s. And if they hadn't, I would have done it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Traditionally you get a better deal towards the end of the month. All of the aforementioned thoughts and suggestiions are great, you're just kinda hosed by geography.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
im too lazy to read all the replies so it might have been discussed already, but get quotes from some of the dealers over in the mainland....take them in and dont mention the travel or cost or anything, just tell them "can u match this price...if not im going to drive there and pick it up."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts