Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, Ive been thinking of debadging my truck lately but am hesitant because Ive had it a year and half. Do you think there will be any issues with taking some of the badges off now, will it be obvious where the badges were? Ive kept the truck in good shape and have waxed it at least 4 times since getting it. I just dont want to have some obvious spots where the badges were. Any advice?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You will be fine. A little trick I was shown was to use dental floss to remove the emblems, I have used this method for many years and works very well. Double up some floss and work it behind the emblem this combined with a hair dryer makes short work of them. If you've already used this method ignore me.:D

·
Registered
424 Posts
To add to that, I would suggest having some help. I did mine the other day and ahem... have to do some touch ups. Other than that, I am really glad I did it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To add to that, I would suggest having some help. I did mine the other day and ahem... have to do some touch ups. Other than that, I am really glad I did it.
Yeah if you try to peal an emblem off it will definatley leave some knicks in the paint. Using the floss keeps you from having to lift up or out on the emblem, just run the floss behind the emblem from one side to the other and it will fall right off :thumb:

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I used fishing line because the dental floss broke too easy. I wouldn't suggest taking a heat gun to them but i parked mine in the sun and got them warm and even LIGHTLY used a hair dryer. It made them come off a lot easier, but i still broke one tundra on the door and one sr5. Most importantly I didn't leave any marks on the truck. Just go slow take your time and put some wax on there after you're done. I wouldn't worry too much about it being darker under the badges. Especially if you've been waxing your truck. Only way I would worry about it is if i lived in arizona or somewhere like that and parked in the sun everyday. Good luck though these trucks look so much better without that biga$$ tundra emblem in the middle of the door!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used fishing line because the dental floss broke too easy. I wouldn't suggest taking a heat gun to them but i parked mine in the sun and got them warm and even LIGHTLY used a hair dryer. It made them come off a lot easier, but i still broke one tundra on the door and one sr5. Most importantly I didn't leave any marks on the truck. Just go slow take your time and put some wax on there after you're done. I wouldn't worry too much about it being darker under the badges. Especially if you've been waxing your truck. Only way I would worry about it is if i lived in arizona or somewhere like that and parked in the sun everyday. Good luck though these trucks look so much better without that biga$$ tundra emblem in the middle of the door!!
Very nice idea with the fishing line, I did have to upgrade to a stronger dental floss:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used a heat gun and a small plastic scraper to pull the emblem away. I have used this method on other trucks without any problems however......The paint is so thin I had to do a lot of touchup. I went as slow as possible but it still took the paint right off. See if the dealer will do it and let them carry the burdon.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I used a heat gun and a small plastic scraper to pull the emblem away. I have used this method on other trucks without any problems however......The paint is so thin I had to do a lot of touchup. I went as slow as possible but it still took the paint right off. See if the dealer will do it and let them carry the burdon.
Wow this is definitly not the way to do it!!! I wouldn't use a heat gun and I definitly wouldn't use a scraper!!!!!!! Fishing line and patience!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Plenty of threads in the "Detailing" Forum here on TS

·
Registered
275 Posts
My truck was 2 years old when I did it and there is no indication they were ever there. Definitly no scraper!! I used dental floss, a hair dryer, bug and tar remover, and WD-40. Rub the glue off with your fingers and resist the temptation to use your fingernails. If you scrape the glue with anything you will cause damage. Just rub with your fingers. A hair dryer is safer to use then a heat gun. The best time to do it is on a hot summer day.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
yes. what they all said. now. me? i did the whole pull on the emblem and it snapped in half causing one corner of the D on trundra on the tailgate to chip the clear coat. oops. i knew better too i was just being impatient. so i had to order a new one to replace it and cover the spot. nothing looks worse than touchup paint so there was no way i was going to touchup stuff when i was supposed to be trying to make it look smooth and good. stock looks better than touchup anyday. but no scrapers, just fishing line. i did remove the little toyota on the tailgate above tundra and it came off just fine with a liittle warmth and fishing line. ive done other cars in teh past this way. i just was impatient this time haha. once u chip it you might as well get new emblems to cover it back up so it doesnt look bad.

·
Registered
422 Posts
what they said. hair dryer, braided fishing line, and goo gone. when you get the emblem off, use your finger to "roll" the tape off. I put on a leather work glove and this helped grip and save my finger.

of course now I'm thinking about painting mine black and putting them back on....

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
of course now I'm thinking about painting mine black and putting them back on....
dont. it looks like crap IMO. much better w.o them.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
what they said. hair dryer, braided fishing line, and goo gone. when you get the emblem off, use your finger to "roll" the tape off. I put on a leather work glove and this helped grip and save my finger.

Wow. You kept your badges? I de-badged my truck yesterday and tossed them away. Wish I saw this thread before I started. I ended up using a strip of plastic that I cut from a plastic package that encapsulate your store items. Worked pretty good, about 30 minutes for everything, but I bet the fishing line would have been better.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I ditched my set on eBay and got $88.00 for the set.(kept the 5.7's)

:D

Wow. You kept your badges? I de-badged my truck yesterday and tossed them away. Wish I saw this thread before I started. I ended up using a strip of plastic that I cut from a plastic package that encapsulate your store items. Worked pretty good, about 30 minutes for everything, but I bet the fishing line would have been better.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I ditched my set on eBay and got $88.00 for the set.(kept the 5.7's)

:D
Wow $88! I put a "Tundra" on my garage refrigerator and the rest are collecting dust...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yea i think you should always keep the 5.7L badge on the truck. I think it looks really good and lets people know what there pulling up next to at a red light. :devil:

I just debadged my truck today after owning it since 07, i took the "TUNDRA" and "SR5" off the side but left the "5.7L"on the side and kept "TUNDRA" and "4x4" on the tail gate. I think it looks good, nice and clean.

On another note the paint didn't fade at all, after some Bug&Tar remover to get the goo off you could never tell they were there. :D

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I need to stop throwing away junk. $88 could buy a few bottles of Rum. ;)
I also kept "TUNDRA" and "4x4" on the tail gate. That way the folks behind you will know what truck is leading the pack :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was thinking of doing this but was worried about damaging it. Now that I know the *right* way to do it I think I'll it done this weekend.

Also, the fact that I might be able to get a little extra cash certainly helps!

·
Registered
50 Posts
After I used some fishing line to get the emblems off I used an "eraser wheel" to remove the residue. I got the eraser wheel from NAPA for about $8 and it's specifically for removing pinstriping and emblems from vehicles w/o damaging the paint. It's basically a giant pencil eraser that attaches to your drill.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts